Author Topic: The big lament.. How do you guys keep painting motivation up?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
The big lament.. How do you guys keep painting motivation up?
« on: August 10, 2016, 06:11:53 AM »
I admit it, I used to be that lazy guy that only brought black sprayed models to the table. A couple of months ago after a giant losing streak against my buddy's eldar I realised I need to get more out of the hobby than just winning. I also started toying with the idea of joining gaming club and attending tournaments outside my own very small meta.

So for the first time in pretty much 10 years I've actually painted with some regularity. I'm really starting to feel the lure of the narrative (I've always enjoyed the books and lore) and after hitting my mental bulls eye with the Lamenters fluff I'm super happy. I got really inspired by Jawaballs as well, it has to be said. However my painting output is ponderous and over the past two months my accumulated work can be seen below.

I own about 4500 points of blood angels, so at this speed it's gonna take me a couple of years to get done which is really daunting. Especially when I'm getting pumped for tournaments. Even if I'm starting with an 1850 list at this speed it'll be early/mid 2017.

I've listened to a lot of good advice about painting models in stages, not least from Fritz's channel, and go back and revisit and add detail later on. However with my method of painting the base color yellow actually takes the most time and I can't really go back and revisit the highlights without messing up the other details. So I've made the two cardinal mistakes in choosing a time consuming color scheme and also started painting after collecting a ton of models. On top of that it turns out I'm also a bit of a pedantic...

Fittingly this turned out more like a lament than my original query:

How do you guys stay motivated painting?
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
Re: The big lament.. How do you guys keep painting motivation up?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 06:18:20 PM »
For a start; paint your least favourite models when you're enjoying painting the most and when you're done with painting paint your coolest model.

After that set goal models: if you paint the tac squad you buy a Chaplin or another item from some other hobby. When you finish the razorback buy that game you wanted to buy. You see the pattern?

That's the pretty much how I do it (I'm a painter first and foremost so bear that in mind)
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline weboflies

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Keepers of the Relics of Ultramar
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 07:09:54 PM »
I can relate, I try to paint all my stuff to the best of my ability, and do I am ponderous!

Those are looking good! Having a nicely painted army is worth the effort!

I'm not sure where you set up your painting stuff, but I've found having a spot in your place that's away from the tv, computer, etc and is free from all the energies and distractons of your living room really helps.

If you're able to get some sort of audio going in the background like podcasts or audio books, that also helps keep you there. As Adam from Tabletop Minions has said, sometimes he just paints cause he wants to listen to his podcasts.

Third, you want to have a permanent space well set up and organized so you have all your stuff right where you need it, and don't have to interrupt your flow rooting through a cluttered closet for stuff for example,

Fourth, have different stuff goin on at different stages, so If you just feel like basecoating, you've got a unit that needs that, if you feel like painting some of those checkers, you've got a unit that needs that, if you feel like working on a vehicle, you've got one of those on the go, etc.

Finally, if you just can't seem to get into it, and make yourself sit down and paint, you can delve into some other aspect of the hobby to get inspired. Coming up with themed lists, reading the history of your army, and checking out bits-sellers' stock online are all things I've found can give you ideas for little conversions and painting details that will get you excited about the project and help bring the army to life. Looking at photos and tutorials from other painters can also give you ideas for neat effects, details, conversions that you'll be stoked to try on your own models.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 06:22:43 AM »
Its easy. Keep a handful of figures handy that you can paint just for fun. Make them apart of another game system or just paint something as a display piece. I jump around between my 40k projects and my (r)Age of Sigmar Skaven, my US army for Bolt Action, and figures for a few skirmish games.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 11:14:17 AM »
Sometimes...I just power through.  Sometimes, I just do what Harry said.  Other times, it's just put off for a day and feel better.  Honestly, music does help too. Or watch a movie, and see some real cool action scene and want to paint something super cool.