Author Topic: The Pursuit of fine levels of detail  (Read 941 times)

Offline JockoJones24

• Neophyte
  • Crushing the hopes of xenos since 2 months ago
    • View Profile
The Pursuit of fine levels of detail
« on: September 13, 2016, 10:23:03 AM »
As I've learned, the models that I paint can't always match the fine details that the box provides. Certain bordering and shades that exceed my capabilities and motivation to capture. For example, many Ultramarines have a light blue (Calgar blue, if im not mistaken) border on their straighter edges (like Jump Packs on Assault marines), and it's a very thin line along the edge. I'm not talking a layer of paint I could place over Maccrage Blue(which, usually, is my final layer over an Abaddon Black base or Imperial Primer), but a seemingly millimeter thin line that gives a different feel and dimension to the models.

Does anyone else do what I do, which is to just paint the color that they see fit and then leave them be? Or does the major portion of players pursue to every fine detail and make it look like a Games Workshop employee did the paint?

I'm also aware that there are people who take a contractor POV, and do pursue this course of action. I'm excluding those who EXCLUSIVELY do contracting paint jobs, but the everyday, layman painter. The reason for this is because the contractors paint the models as the owner sees fit for them to paint, and the ones I've talked to have friends who follow that habit and are extremely skilled, many many years ahead of my own(I've only a few months experience, but I have painted a Librarian that impresses a Games Workshop employee. That being said, it says a lot about the level of mastery the contractors pursue).

Thank You
Beware the alien, the mutant, the heretic. And all dice rolls of 1. All those can really put a damper on your day

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Pursuit of fine levels of detail
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 10:52:19 AM »
I'll typically do some edge highlighting around main areas, like the jump packs or the Bolter or other things that are automatically eye catching, but on my HQs or specifically my Warlords, I try to do all the detail I'm capable of.  Every bit of gold is primer of black, base of silver, layer of gold, touch up of lighter gold and edged with silver.  Every red cape is about four layers of reds including a glaze.  I don't go nuts, but I do pay as close attention to those details as I can but I do not have a steady hand and my best isn't that great.

I am glad though that I learned how to do that raised edge highlight.  It took a bit but I can finally do it quickly enough to make it manageable when i go on a painting spree and do up 40 models in a week.  Once I figured out how to make it work and even more importantly, how to fix it when I screw up, I started trying to do it on every model that hits my table.  Atleast the quick and dirty version.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 04:31:02 AM »
It honestly differs from hobbyist to hobbyist. Some like to play with bare plastic, half built models, while others are decent enough to paint bare 3 color minimum. There will always be those guys with high quality armies that can make what the 'eavy metal studio paints look like crap as well. Personally I never tackle different projects the same way. Every time I start something new I figure out different techniques I wanna try, to keep it interesting. Not quite sure if that answered your question I guess? I dunno.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Alfalpharius

• Initiate
  • Adeptus Doritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:27:04 AM »
It depends on the model.  With Space Marines, I find it's best to try and keep the arms off and do the paint up to the point where shade is done, and the only thing left is highlight.  After the model is assembled, I can use a 'painted' model with more than an undercoat and base coat.  As time passes, I highlight them over time and do very fine details.