Author Topic: On dev squads: equipment?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
On dev squads: equipment?
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:38:34 PM »
Of course with the new supplement hitting in less than a week I thought we should talk about devistator squads, something I never thought of using in a blood angel army. What in the world could we equip our dev squads with? It boggled my mind until I realized what their true function was.

I contest that the dev squad should be a 5 man squad with a Sargent with dual hand flamers, and the squad should have 4 heavy flamers. So now we wonder how to get them to range. A drop pod is always good. But las/plas razorbacks are also amazing for us due to overcharged engines.

The question remains? With all of our ability for anti armor in meltas spam, would you rather use grav cannons/ grav amps? Or let them fill another role? What would you do?

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: On dev squads: equipment?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 04:12:01 PM »
Unless you're running a battle demi company (which I personally still wouldn't do, since it is neither fluffy nor playing to BAs strengths in my view) I would never use Devs. If I had too I think I'd take a 5 man squad with 2 las cannons, stick them in cover and use the sergeant and 2 others as ablative wounds. As a possible alternative I'd do 2 grav cannons and stick them in a rhino.

I have much higher hopes for the archangels demi company, at least if they update vanguard weapon costs.
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline weboflies

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Keepers of the Relics of Ultramar
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 11:49:45 PM »
I never would have thought to go Heavy Flamer with them, but I think the idea of either that or Grav, so they can move and shoot at full BS (HF build can even assault as long as they didn't disembark that turn!) is fantastic! It's got wheels turning for me! Drop Pod is also another excellent option for delivery.

I am just now realizing that HF never occurred to me because it's not available for Codex Marines (is this a BA thing?), and Grav never occurred to me because I'm far too much of a spendthrift when it comes to upgrades, haha.

Kvekan, I think you underestimate the Devs' usefullness. If you can keep your opponent distracted with your forward elements, they can be used to "devastating" shall we say, effect. With a little luck from the dice, even 4 frag templates from the basic ML's can do some hurt if you're able to catch your enemy bunching up (or make him). Rather than stick them in the rhino, you can use it as a shield, driving away to open up LOS in the movement phase and moving flat out  right back in reverse at the end of shooting. If you're worried about the enemy reaching back there with a deep strike unit or something, a cheap unit of scouts to tie it up with a charge would help keep them firing in many circumstances.

The ML's are also great because they' don't seem to concern opponents as much as  Las or Grav, increasing the likelyhood they'll be left alone for a turn or two, and you've got the skyfire option making them incredibly versatile (and still cheaper than Grav).

If you're facing a horde army, 12 Heavy Bolter Shots per phase wouldn't be the worst thing you could take either. That's something I'd like to try one of these days

Offline Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 12:24:52 AM »
a lot of people miss the inferno pistols and hand pistols and heavy flamers. but just remember they will work like scytheguard. make sure your templates don't overlap your guys for maximum flamer goodness

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 03:09:56 AM »
Except scytheguard will remove monsters, 2+ and vehichles with equal ease. If I want fire support for my BA, I'd much, much rather have fast predators or vindicators. Those play to our strengths.

On a side note is it actually confirmed that we can have heavy flamers for our devs? Either way, heavy flamer devs do the same thing that most of our units already excell at: killing mass infantry.

Offline Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 12:52:59 PM »
Except scytheguard will remove monsters, 2+ and vehichles with equal ease. If I want fire support for my BA, I'd much, much rather have fast predators or vindicators. Those play to our strengths.

On a side note is it actually confirmed that we can have heavy flamers for our devs? Either way, heavy flamer devs do the same thing that most of our units already excell at: killing mass infantry.

BA are the only ones who can take mass heavy flamers. They are on our heavy weapons list.

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 03:50:03 PM »
I don't have the book here now, but I'm pretty sure there's a note saying only tactical squads and sternguards can take them though. Unless there's some new update I'm unaware of?

Online Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »
AFAIK there are no Heavy flamers available for Devs.... only for Tacticals

Angels Blade is supposed to give our Devs GravCannons but i haven't heard of HFlamers

Tacs will probably stay on HFlamer but no Grav

I have used some Devastators with 2  7-Man Squads with 3 Lascannons each (had no points for 4) they were quite nice. More survivable than a Predator but have no mobility, so better get more than one squad to get good firelanes!
Other than that i have come to like Plasma-Cannons, they can be really scary Area-Denial for Deep Strikers. So i sometimes went with a Lascannon and a Plasmacannon squad.
=Blood Angels=

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 02:25:42 AM »
Personally I like a 10 man squad with two sets of two different weapons. I've seen las cannons and missiles work well, as well as heavy bolters and plasma cannons. You can combat the squad and have two different units either saturating one big target or cleaning up two smaller ones. I'm not sure dev squads can take heavy flamers because I think in the warhead selection it only allows sternguard to take them (I could be wrong of course) and the heavy flamer option in tactical squads is listed in the unit entry.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.