Author Topic: Will you be using any of the new formations, which, how and why!  (Read 1234 times)

Online Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Will you be using any of the new formations, which, how and why!
« on: September 18, 2016, 04:33:02 AM »
The only formation that really intrigues me and my playstyle at the moment is the golden host. However I don't own 2 squads of sanguinary guards, and I'm undecided.

I'm also having a hard time justifying taking it over the SM shadowstrike kill team. A unit with 5 claws, 3 shields and 2 fists costs the same as SG with a banner. Don't get disordered, have rerolls on assault and can use a chapter tactic. These guys can take on infantry, monsters and vehichles with equal ease. SG just can't do that. They're infantry blenders, and if your enemy hides in his metal boxes, with a disordered charge you can't really even count on them wrecking a transport.

As I see it the main benefit is that you can actually get Dante into the fray. The unit without a banner seems especially weak with only 10 attacks the first round and the inability to add a priest.

There are some good formations, however none of them really cater to my collection or playstyle (Dread pods and jump assault). Oddly if you want to play jump assault, SM seems more suitable than BA right now...

I feel like such a grinch, so I could use hearing some good ideas from you guys to get pumped again!
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Will you be using any of the new formations, which, how and why!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 05:42:06 AM »
Golden Host and Archangels Demi Company are the only interesting things for me.  Nothing I've seen says competitive to me so I'm staying with the few units that caught and kept my interest.  Fast Armor, especially since my biggest complaint about Baal Preds is gone finally, Archangels and Dante with some golden boys.  It's overcosted, but I like it.  Gives me room for my Space Hulk Terminators and a few more Vanguard squads.  Expensive shelf fillers.

Offline Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 01:02:51 PM »
I'm going to run were guard and vanguard in the archangels host, use 2 thunder/storm tremis and 1 lightning claw squad in the orbital I intervention force for the detatchment. Charging from deep strike while disorganized is way too good, zealot at half squad size could work out late game for mop up duty.

On the other hand how about 5 librarian dreads supporting a death company host. While death co can take stormraven DTS they can also be put in the formation of stormraven for extra missile goodness. The support alpha strike and add in the formation flying for extra goodness. This is going to be a fun time to be a blood angel.

Offline Remtek

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 01:38:03 PM »
Not much to work with for competitive play, Golden Host and Orbital Intervention Force can work. Still mulling over how to support them. Ideally something that can take a beating turn 1 if going second.  Drop pods are really out of the question since both formations are pricy and come turn 2. Starting with a few IG units on the table would be ideal, but hopefully there are some viable non ally options.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 06:38:03 PM »
I've been looking at the Archangels Orbital Intervention Force. Is there any reason the Terminators can't buy drop pods to arrive Turn 1?

Offline Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »
Golden Host / Archangels Orbital Intervention force / Lucifer Armored task force / 10th company / Stormraven Missiles / Lost Bro-Hood
... At least i'd like to try those out!
So... are you guys interested in doing a "Listbuilding" threat with Angel's blade? Or is everyone already too discouraged with the book ?

I'm at least a little hyped up since i'm going to do a big game in ~2weeks with a SpaceWolves Friend who hasn't gotten to test Curse of Wulfen Formations yet. Lots of Proxying will have to be done but will be fun. Wolves supplement looks stronger tho.
=Blood Angels=