Author Topic: Lets build an Ork Dread Mob army. (Written army blog)  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Lakey Wargames Youtube Page
Lets build an Ork Dread Mob army. (Written army blog)
« on: September 25, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »
Hi guys, girls and fellow Warbosses!

Over on YouTube I am running a video series in which I am building, painting and then battling (Once completed) an Ork Dread mob army using the PDF from Forge world. Along side this I am going to be writing up posts about progress with more in depth thoughts. My reasoning for this to keep the momentum up and keep me motivated to move this forward on a more regular basis for those who would be interested in following along or just to have a look into the world of Ork Dread mob forces.

I did start a post like this before but had stopped posting due to real life issues which stopped me from getting any hobby done. But now I'm back and ready to give this everything I've got! I hope you guys enjoy the process of making this Dread mob army with me and hopefully we can all learn and bounce idea's off of one another.

I've been a massive Fritz fan since I started way back in 4th edition and have followed him ever since even after I dropped out of the hobby for a few years and kept me in the loop which resulted in my return to the hobby so it seems only fitting I share my experiences on here with fellow Fritz and The Warmaster followers!

You can find the link to my Youtube channel in the footnote of my posts or use this link here to take you straight to the Lets build an Ork Dread mob army playlist! If YouTube isn't your thing I'll be back posting updates on here shortly! :)       

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9ADsoK1nQhBnUAR47Hhq8LrfEhlBCWzO
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:
 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgqSruhp2yl2gyqhiTuSrEA

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Lets build an Ork Dread Mob army. (Written army blog)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
So to get things started where best to begin than with the army list we shall be creating over the course of this series. The army is going to 1500 points. The composition of units is made up of something which will look good on the table, be fun to play while at the same time try not to completely suck. As always with my lists I like to make a take on all comers type force so it can be used all the time. :)

If you're interested more by making a Dread mob of your own or wanting to know more about the wargear or rules I will leave the PDF link in this post so you can check it out rather than me typing word for word what everything does.

So here is the list!

1500 Ork Dread mob army list

HQ
Kustom Meka-dread (Rippa klaws) Kustom force field = 225
Kustom Meka-dread (Rippa klaws) Kustom force field = 225

ELITES
Mekboy junka deffrolla = 65

TROOPS
x10 Spanna boyz shootas = 60
x2 Deffdreads = 150
x2 Deffdreads = 150

FAST ATTACK
x5 Killa kans = 175
x3 Killa kans x3 Rokkit launchers = 105
x3 Killa kans x3 Rokkit launchers = 105

HEAVY SUPPORT
Big trakk Super kannon = 120
Big trakk Super kannon = 120

Total = 1500

The idea is a pretty simple one.

The Kustom Meka-dreads will provide cover to the advancing Kan/dread wall as they advance across the board while providing some awesome anti-armour with the Rippa klaws.

The Junka will be used as a firebase platform for the Spanna boyz. Seeing as we are forced to take atlest 1 minimal unit of them I thought best rather than sink points into them just keep them cheap and use as a harassing unit. Seeing as shootas are still free from the PDF and the junk being open topped with 3 big shootas as standard for 125pts we now have the movement of a Vehicle while letting fly 3 big shootas and 20 shoota shots a turn. Going to be great for running down combat squads, devastators left alone at the back or picking off the last wounds of a unit that's been badly hurt.

The Deffdreads will just do what they can. Staying in the KFF bubbles and just krump whatever they reach at the other end of the table. I left the big shootas on them instead of going x4 CC weapons so that they can still provide something even if not much if they get immobilised.

Two units of killa kans with rokkits will provide some decent anti-armour options with that great BS3 gives me some reliability and a 30 inch threat range. The 5 man bearbones unit can do some work aswell. Using the BS3 to catch people off guard 15 big shoota shots hitting on 4's can prove pretty decent if no one anticipates it.

The Big trakks are some bundles of fun to help suppress the enemy force into cover and stopping them being able to board control me and forcing the mob where I don't want it to go. S9 AP3 large blasts at 60" range is definitely nothing to underestimate and I've taken two for good measure just to add to that weight of long range fire and punish anyone who comes into the open.

Again this isn't a competitive list but it should be a blast to play! :)   

Link to the Dread Mob PDF:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Warhammer_40000/Ork_Dread_Mob_Army_List_Update.pdf
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 02:55:26 PM by Lakey Wargames »
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 01:08:27 AM »
So to start things off building up this Dread mob force I bought the Orks start collecting box set. I'm sure you're all familair with what's in the box but for those who might not this gives us:

x1 Painboy
x5 Nobz
x11 Boyz
x1 Deffdread

So the painboy and the Nobz in this box won't fit into our DM force but for the price of the start collecting box are pretty much dirt cheap and will be a great addition to the rest of the Ork force. For the DM though this is good news, we now have our 10 Spanna boyz ready to be built up. I also plan on turning the Deffdread from this box into the first of our  two Kustom Meka-dreads! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 01:43:47 AM »
So I'm going to start work on the DM tonight. First thing that'll be up on the chopping block is the 10 Spanna boyz.

As they are in the list we're going to be giving them shootas. I'm going to trying something different with these spanna boyz though and part assemble them with the shoota arms off. Just leaving the head, body and legs exposed for better painting of the detail that the shootas make hard to reach. (This is new to me for Orks as I have always just built shoota boyz full and painted from there, there's normally so many of them that painting like this isn't time effective but since there's only 10 in this army it's worth a go.)

The colour scheme I'm going for is more like a classic tribe feel. I'm going to be using browns on the cloth area's and add in black and white check patterns in places. I'll use a bright red to contrast this with some small details to make them stand out. I got this idea from a bit of artwork where the Orks are fighting Firstborn Guardsmen in the snow. I'll attach a picture for you to see. Also really like the artwork in the codex and what used to be the cover on the 4th edition dex. They have more of a black, red and checked feel but I'm sure I can work the two together. :)

I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to paint up the Dreads and Kans yet. I normally paint all my Boyz in red cloth and then the tanks and everything else would of been red aswell to make that speed freak feel. I'm thinking maybe painting them more like Goff styled. So just black with check patterns. Maybe add in abit of red here and there to keep them in line with the rest of the army but we shall see.

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 02:03:20 AM »
So I have started putting together the 10 Spanna boyz for the Dread Mob army. There are two already painted as I'm slightly ahead over on the YouTube version of the build where on camera I'm only going through the process of painting two of the Spanna boyz. The rest I will finish off camera to save viewer time. :)

I was going to be leaving the arms off of the boyz to make painting smaller details easier which I have done with 6 of them but then I found 4 random shoota boyz laying about in my bitz box already built as shown in the picture so decided to use these guys to round the unit off to a 10 man unit. I am going to build the other boyz left over from the box as sluggaz for my Greentide formations. So it worked out pretty nicely.

Now I'm just going to wait for the weather to cheer up and I can get these guys undercoated! :)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:12:16 AM by Lakey Wargames »

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 02:09:47 PM »
One of the many reasons I don't like this time of year... It's always too dark and cold to prime any minutures in the garden when I get home from work and so far when I've had a day off it's been taking up by real life stuff. Eurgh! :(

So my hobby time I have been working on Grey knights instead. (I'm getting the Dreadmob itch though!)

I'm very tempted to start putting together a box or two of killa kans ready for the army while I wait for my time to spray the spanna boyz!

Just while typing this I have realised I could make the bases ready for 8 of the spanna boyz. I only have to make two on camera for the YouTube version of the build. This would be more logical than opening another box of Orky goodness, but hey who listens to logic! ;)

Time will tell.... :P

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
  • Shoot da choppy ones and chop da shooty ones!
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 04:12:46 PM »
I know what you mean about the Spray priming. It can be trouble. I've got humidity to deal with here so I actually use craft paint as brush on primer. It's slower but also faster some times.
I'm looking forward to seeing your spanna boys video!
Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop!
WAAAAAAAAGH! Dakka Dakka Dakka!
http://warhead01.blogspot.com/

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 12:41:09 PM »
I know what you mean about the Spray priming. It can be trouble. I've got humidity to deal with here so I actually use craft paint as brush on primer. It's slower but also faster some times.

Oh that's a bummer! I have seen online people saying about those before/other types of brush based undercoating. Might have to try it out sometime just to see what's it is like.

I'm looking forward to seeing your spanna boys video!

Thanks man. I'm hoping to get the next episode out as soon as possible! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 04:49:39 PM »
  Oh that's a bummer! I have seen online people saying about those before/other types of brush based undercoating. Might have to try it out sometime just to see what's it is like.

I use folkart 479 Pure Black.It's a Matte black. And doesn't cost very much at all. I like it. it fits my needs well enough. A boss's gotta do what a boss's gotta do after all!

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 10:54:07 AM »
Hey guys! Some great news everything has smoothed out and I am finally back at a hobby desk again. A new episode of the YouTube dreadmob build will be up in the next hour or two which also means i'll be back posting progress on here! Hurraaay! :D

Thank you for the patience and continued support. Good stuff coming soon! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
I just got to see your new video. Nice looking Orks!
I have to go back and watch all the rest before this new one. I've had no time yet to do that. I will say though , from what I've seen today, your a very neat painter. I was thinking 4 colors on the teef was over kill I do it with three tops and a nasty wash just before the end. lol. Well it's basically how you do it. ( Now that I think about it.)
One thing I do that speeds things along is base coat the skin Dark green then base coat the teef area Dark Brown from the get go. From there I just use a bone color and then a white at the end. after my black or brown or some times dark red wash. But just a little. My orks are filthy. haha.
I dropped you a like as well. 16 minutes is a fair amount of effort for sure! Keep them coming! I will catch up on the first four videos when I get the time. I noticed your Ork skin is ...different than I paint mine. I'll have to check that out!

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 09:29:49 AM »
I just got to see your new video. Nice looking Orks!
from what I've seen today, your a very neat painter.

Thanks for the kind words brother, means alot to me! :)

I was thinking 4 colors on the teef was over kill I do it with three tops and a nasty wash just before the end. lol. Well it's basically how you do it. ( Now that I think about it.)

Haha yeah I know that feeling. I normally get through my paint stages with 3/4 colours. 1. Base 2. Wash 3. Layer 4. Highlight. But to push myself to the next level of painting have added an extra step to all my painting. So my normal 3 stage teeth have become 4! Once everything is up to 4 stages my original 4 steps will become 5. :P

I dropped you a like as well. 16 minutes is a fair amount of effort for sure! Keep them coming! I will catch up on the first four videos when I get the time. I noticed your Ork skin is ...different than I paint mine. I'll have to check that out!

Thanks my man! :) This was the shortest episode to date! haha. The other push nearly half hour each or go slightly over. But then painting teeth shouldn't take aslong as skin and cloth.... shouldn't. ;) The skin is in episode 3 if memory serves me right. :)  Thanks for the support again! I hope the future episodes are just as good a watch for you! :)

One thing I do that speeds things along is base coat the skin Dark green then base coat the teef area Dark Brown from the get go. From there I just use a bone color and then a white at the end. after my black or brown or some times dark red wash. But just a little. My orks are filthy. haha.

Nothing wrong with that approach! Your Orks look great man. One of the reasons I love painting Orks is because there are so many ways to go about it and styles to make you can never really go wrong!.... Every Ork is beautiful in his own right! ;) Your colours are very close to how I used to my Orks with the red and black. Though for the dread mob I am struggling with the bulk being brown and trying not to over power it with too much red detail. Time will tell if I can pull it off haha.

Also here's a close up picture of how far we are over on the Youtube channel for those who want a sneaky peak! I'm planning on putting up a step by step how to on here for those who are just following along with these posts so keep your eyes peeled! ^^

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 02:50:21 PM »
So I got a day off with decent weather for a change! Woohoo! :D I managed to prime up all the other Spanna boyz for the Dread mob. And as promised  I'm going to run through step by step how I'm painting them up.This week will mainly be a skin tutorial if you will.  For now I shall just show the paints that will be required to get a skin tone finish like the Ork in the picture above post. :)

These are the colours we will be using.

WAAAGH! Flesh - This will be our base to give us a nice soild green starting point.

Biel-tan Green - Will help us keep everything mean and green but show us where we need to layer up and show off all the awesome recess details on the minuture.

Warboss Green - This colour will be our main colour. It gives off a lovely shade of green and complements the darkness of our base colour that we are going to build up on.

Skarsnik Green - This will be our final highlight colour. Only used on the finer edges. It will bring out all our major details.

Tomorrow I will start putting up the step by step process with pictures to show you each stage. :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:54:26 PM by Lakey Wargames »

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 04:58:28 AM »
So I'm currently running through the rest of unit while making this step by step tutorial so it will most likely end up being a couple of steps posted each day or every other day and in about a week from now looking back across this we will have all the steps on painting the Ork skin! :)

Alternatively if you'd rather watch a video and follow along that way check out "Warhammer 40k: Lets build an Ork Dread mob army part 3" over on the Lakey Wargames Youtube channel. This will take you to the video episode about painting Ork skin. :)

So without further delay lets get on with the step by steps!

Step 1 - Start off by priming your model with Chaos black spray. Normally I would recommend sub assembling your miniature to help reach the small details  on the chest and under the arms easier. But for this tutorial I haven't as these are just some more meat for the grinder models I found in my bits box.

Step 2 - Apply Warboss Green to all the skin areas on the miniature. Make sure you water your paint down and only put on a thin layer but make sure you reach all the deep pockets on the face, between fingers, under arms, in the neck, and between the muscles.
It will dry with the black slightly showing through like in the picture shown but this is fine and supposed to happen. We will fix this in the next step! :)

Step 3 - Apply a second layer of Warboss Green just as you did in step 2. Make sure your paint is thinned and your re-cover all the skin areas.
It's important to get this right now as later when we layer on more brighter greens you don't want to find black patches on the skin where we missed an area.
After the second coat of Warboss Green has dried you should find you have a nice dark green skin colour all over and is no longer patchy. as shown in the 3rd picture.
By doing the two thin coats we will avoid covering any smaller details between muscles and on the face with thick layers of paint.

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »
I really feel like Killa Kanz arent nearly worth their points cost.
  • Orks, Space Marines
On a WAAAAGGHHHHH since 1999.