Author Topic: When angels decend (and not scatter)  (Read 991 times)

Offline Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
When angels decend (and not scatter)
« on: October 18, 2016, 05:23:56 PM »
Ok yes people want an op demi company that dosent follow out fluff. However. The archangels demi company offers a very fluffy alternative which is near on the main when assisted by an Inquisitor.

May I suggest running 3 squads of vanguard vets, one termi squad, and one sternguard squad for your demi company, some grav cannon or las cannon devs for your aux, and 4 sanguinary priests for your vanguard and sternguard squads. Add in 1 or 2 inquisitors with 3 servo skulls each and you have an interesting list.

Let's talk about it shall we? The archangels demi company can deep strike turn 1. Rerolls failed reserve rolls, and scatter a d6 less. Now let's add in the servo skulls from the Inquisitor that reduce the scatter dice by 1d6 if the first model of a unit is within 12 inches of it. They also stop infiltrate and scouting units from gaining much ground.

I suggest 1 line of servo skulls as close as possible to the opponent to stop scout moves, while having a second line of skulls for your angels to drop in and take a spot on the board without error(barring terrain instances that could cause mishaps).

As always feedback is welcome.

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: When angels decend (and not scatter)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:56:43 AM »
I don't think people want an OP demi company, I think people want a demi company that makes sense (I.E with less stupid compulsory choices, an actual bonus that we don't get anyway, and maybe compulsory fluffy units like a death company squad if anything). But that's another story.

I'd suggest running Dante for his descent of angels rule if you're going mass jump troops. If there's anywhere you'd want Dante I'd say it's here. No scatter without having to resort to allies.

However, to me the best way to run the Arch-angels demi company seems to be 3 sternguard squads and 2 assault terminator squads.

The "problem" is that BA vanguards for some reason pay 10 points more for each melee weapon than space marines. So dual lightning claw vanguard is 52 points instead of 32 etc. It's is unavoidable to compare them with their SM brothers and it would be so easy to rectify for GW. They even erratad or updated everything else that didn't make sense when compared. The only sensible setup for BA vanguards is bare bones chain sword/pistol with current costs. And then we'd much rather have death company that are just plain better in every way or sanguinary guards.

I only ever run vanguards as SM allies because instead of 2 squads I can have 3 for the same points cost, which is silly. Granted, mine are over the top kitted.

Also, fitting 4 sanguinary priests eats up your points quickly. What points level are we talking about here?
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »
I'm looking at 1850 for the list. I might be a bit spoiled on FNP especially the idea of BA being able to have it in 75% of the army

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 05:59:16 AM »
Alright, that's my favored points level as well. I do love FnP, but much prefer it on Death Company.

Trying to stay more positive and to shut down my own bias and preferences in this post.

Looking at the BA vanguards in a "new" light so to speak. There are some things still that BA vanguards can do that normal vanguards can't. I've always discounted them because I do love me some power weapon, fist and lightning claw overkill. (Which is why I envy the SM vanguards that allow me to do that without really costing my vanity in points)

But with your no scatter premise I'm thinking inferno pistols could become a whole lot more useful. I've almost never managed to get a normal inferno pistol into melta range but if you can park safely 1" away that's another matter. They're still extremely vurlnerable to shooting the round after deep striking though so might want to play it safer than that.

So say squads with standard equipment but with a couple or more inferno pistols tossed in for transport/tank wrecking. They are pretty costly, but if they can be their own can opener it could be worth it. If you have extra points I'd consider storm shields on the sergeants to deal with challenges.
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 05:25:38 PM »
I was thinking something along the same lines. If you pay for the infernos pistols, and the stormshield on the sgt and maybe 2 other guys. You can deep strike near a servo skull and unload nearly any transport, the forcibly unload the transport (seeking or exploding it).

I was also thinking about storm bolters and storm shields for them. If you need to you can set them up in the backfield and they have the mobility to move from point to point if necessary.

To change the subject for a moment. How would you deliver sternguard? Drop pods sound interesting. But, in my opinion, one of BA's strengths is our las/plas razorbacks. They are fast so they can use both weapons on the turn it moves 12. My experience with them is they imobalize way to easily. And cost a whopping 85-90 (with dozer blades) a piece. Which is the better option?