Author Topic: Grim Resolve and Jink, always played wrong?  (Read 875 times)

Offline Tobas DA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Grim Resolve and Jink, always played wrong?
« on: October 21, 2016, 03:04:13 AM »
How do you play overwatch with grim resolve if you jinked?

I played: If a ravenwing bike jinked, it fires overwatch with BS 1. And I have never seen it been played different in any battle report.

After reading the rules and FAQ again I think this is wrong!  :o

Grim resolve is better. Rules as written: "Models with this special rule fire overwatch with BS2." Nowhere in the grim resolve rule does it say, unless jinking.

In the FAQ it says: "A model witch grim resolve fires overwatch with BS 2. This is not effected by invisibility." It does not talk about jinking, but it makes clear (to me), that with grim resolve you always fire overwatch with BS 2. This is not effected by invisibility (or jinking). Invisibility and jinking makes you snap fire (with BS 1), this is overruled by grim resolve to BS 2.

The demi battle company comes with the rule "firediscipline": It says: " If not jinking all models in this formation with the grim resolve special rule fire overwatch with BS 3 instead of 2."

This is where the BS 1 interpretation is from. The firediscipline and supreme firediscipline (full BS in overwatch) rule (lions blade strike force) is effected by jinking not the grim resolve rule itself!

A ravenwing bike as part of a lions blade sf, if not jinking fires overwatch with BS 4 and if jinking with BS 2.

This is rules as written (and intended, FAQ?). A "sensational" discovery for me, after playing the new codex from day 1.

What do you think, how do you play it?

Online Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Resolve and Jink, always played wrong?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 08:46:39 AM »
The grim resolve rule, at least in the hardback version, says explicitly: "Models with this special rule have the Stubborn special rule and, unless Jinking, count their Ballistic Skill as 2 when firing Overwatch."

edit: see page 148.
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline Tobas DA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Resolve and Jink, always played wrong?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 10:48:45 AM »
The grim resolve rule, at least in the hardback version, says explicitly: "Models with this special rule have the Stubborn special rule and, unless Jinking, count their Ballistic Skill as 2 when firing Overwatch."

edit: see page 148.

Interesting: In the German rule book (hardback, p. 148) it says; "Modelle mit dieser Sonderregel haben die Sonderregel Unnachgiebig und geben Abwehrfeuer mit einer Ballistischen Fähigkeit von 2 ab."

It is not even a translation mistake, the part with "unless jinking" (Ausweichmanöver) is missing completely. 

But thank you for the quote.