Author Topic: The Project, Tyranids without little gribblies, Atleast to start  (Read 976 times)

Offline Merellin

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
The Project, Tyranids without little gribblies, Atleast to start
« on: November 16, 2016, 07:36:27 AM »
So, This might not be a smart idea but, It's just for fun. I'v been wanting to build a army from the ground up, To practise preparing, cleaning, assembling and painting models on. So I wanted something with few models, And preferably bigger models and a friend sugested Nidzilla, I thought it was a good idea sine I like the nid models and to make it playable I am planning to use things of warrior size and up, Going mostly for what is cool.

Offline Hive Fleet Xadiark

• Neophyte
  • The Great Devourer.
    • View Profile
Re: The Project, Tyranids without little gribblies, Atleast to start
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 12:59:35 PM »
Really nice idea mate, I have been playing Tyranid for years and have always loved playing lots of multiple wound models and just watching them shrug off fire it is so fun. The monstrous creatures in Tyranid all look amazing and warriors are helpful for synapse when playing games as well as having the chance to paint a variety of weapon biomorphs on smaller creatures. Once I was playing a guardsmen player and my tyrannofex took an entire round of shooting and he didn't die, that is what our creatures are about.
  • Tyranid

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 08:05:14 PM »
That's all Nids are now.  Mawlocs and Flyrants with Spores as Troops.  You didn't ask a question so I'm not going to go full pessimistic on my main army, but there is a lot of headache with Nids and classic Nidzilla.  So I'll suggest you focus more on the skies than anything else.  Flyers are pretty inactive in the metas I've seen so you might have some success hitting people in their blind spot.

Offline Merellin

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 08:04:30 AM »
My plan wasent to go for competetive, Just for fun things I think look cool, But still have it playable, Even if it dosent win. So my plans for my HQ was a Hive Tyrant on Foot in a unit of Tyrant Guard, Cus they are cool models. And for Troops either two units of 6 Warriors, Or 4 units of 3 Warriors, Cus Warriors look cool.. xD

I'm not quite sure what I wanted with this topic, Just discuss ideas mayhaps? I'm just rambling about my ideas.. xD

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 12:12:08 PM »
Warriors die horribly without doing anything and are a waste of points, or last until the end of the game.  Obviously it all depends on the army you're facing, but my point is there is no middle ground.  Either they explode because of Insta-Death or they just never go down to small arms fire.  You'd be better off with small squads and make sure to play musical warriors so that the lead isn't the one about to die as the wounds start to stack.  It's harder to kill two units of three than it is one unit of six.  Warriors are unique in that aspect.

For the Tyrant, look at the Tyrant Node Formation instead of a CAD with a Tyrant and Guard.  This gives you room for two Flyrants or whatever other HQs you might want for this and the Walking Tyrant with minor buffs.  Alternatively, look at the Hypertoxic Node Formation with a Toxicrene, three Venomthropes and a Tyrant.  CAD the Guard, slap the Venom Tyrant in there and there ya go.  Again, this frees up Elite slots and the HQ, and you'll need those Venomthropes.  If you're playing a bunch of things that keel over to the vast majority of decent shooting, you are going to need that Cover save.  Nids lack of Eternal Warrior and lack of good armor means you have to get that save another way.

Keep in mind the rest of the Formations.  If you like Warriors, then most of them will be something useful to you.  Bioblast, Living Artillery, Synaptic Swarm, the ones I mentioned above, they all give minor buffs to big models to make them just a shade more acceptable.  There's a good chance that you'll end up using up all your HS or Elite slots otherwise and most of the models in the Formations, so these are great 'cheats' to the Force Org.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 02:55:46 PM »
If monstrous creature heavy is what you're aiming for, and want to do something fun, consider taking Old One Eye, and several broods of carnifex with twin-linked devourers. The list will pretty much be bum rush Old One Eye and the rest of the fex up the table, and hope they don't flip out and just gore each other. I think you can mitigate loss of wounds with the regeneration biomorph as well as a psychic source that can cast the Nyd power that grants feel no pain.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.