Author Topic: Round 2  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Cerberus121

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Round 2
« on: November 19, 2016, 02:43:05 AM »
After hearing from a couple of you and typing out my reply as well as finding The Flesh Tearer's Strikeforce, Lights started going off in my head.
Thank you to Sharkoutawata and TxLrrp for pointing me in the direction I was hoping to find.

I think I found exactly what I described as my army, in the previous post.
So here we go with round two.

Please advise where you see my mistakes.

Thanks to all.

The Flesh Tearer's Strike Force = 1850 points.

HQ:        200 points
        2x Sang Priest: The Crown Angelic, The Angel's Wings, Auspex, upgrade bolt pistol to bolt gun.
                1 Priest will go with a ASM Squad in their Drop Pod

LoW:        120 points
        Brother Corbolo
                Will go with a ASM Squad in their Pod

Elites:        290 points
        2x Furioso Dreadnoughts: Fragcannon, Meltagun/PF, Magna-Grapple, Bones of Baelsor

Fast Attack:
        3x Land Speeders: Typhoon Missile Launcher, Multi-melta (255 points)
        5 man Assault: 2 Meltagun, Sgt. = 2 Inferno Pistols, Free Pod? (110 points) -         Do ASM get a free Drop pod in this formation?
        5 man Assault: 2 Inferno Pistols, Sgt. = 2 Inferno Pistols, Free Pod? (130 points) - Do ASM get a free Drop pod in this formation?
        5 man Assault: 2 Plasma guns, Sgt. = 2 Grav-pistols, Free Pod? (130 points) -       Do ASM get a free Drop pod in this formation?
        5 man Assault: 2 Flamers, Sgt. = 2 Hand Flamers, Free Pod? (110 points) -           Do ASM get a free Drop pod in this formation?

As the list sits now, it's 1090 points . . . or . . . 1230 points if I have to pay for the ASM drop pods.

Does the Squadron of Land Speeders Count as 1 unit in the Fast Attack Slot or are they all counted as 1 each?

I want something to deliver the Dreads, and add more guns at the same time . . .
        Stormraven Gunship Squadron (2 Fliers): Twin-Linked Multi, Twin-Linked Las, Extra Armor, Searchlight . . . 412 points

For Troops Choice, I am still need advice . . .
        Cassor the Damned with a Drop Pod        175 points
        -or-
        Raphen's Death Company        210 points (deepstrike in, but need to find out if they can ride in to the fight on a stormraven.)

If the Stormraven's go in the list for the dread's transports then the list comes to: 1502 or 1642 respectively.
Only thing left is the Troop Selection - Please Help Here?

And if the Land Speeder Squadron Counts as 1 Fast Attack Unit then maybe I have room to add more of them?

Offline Pigeon89B

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Round 2
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »
A character can only have one relic, also both furioso's can't have the bones relic only 1. Land speeders can be taken in a squadron of three, they act as a single unit and only take up one slot. Cassor in a pod, raphens death company isn't all that. Tactical as troops are ok but close combat scouts fit the army better an an assault force. Grav pistols are bad, don't make your assault squads so expensive, it's a big point sink for 5 Marines that will just die to anything. Take the two melts in a pod (which are no longer free per the new supplement, standard points) and drop them in as a melta-side unit. If you're going to take a priest and corbulo put them in units that are good in assault already so that they become great, corbs goes best with terminators since he only moves 6 and so do they, the priest can taken a jump pack so stick him with some death company or sanguinary guard. Dante is also very good with guard or death company especially since he gives the unit hit and run so if they get stuck in a bad combat they can run out of combat on your opponent's turn and charge back in on your turn.

Offline Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 07:44:27 AM »
This list is definitely more BloodAngels like.  Are you using BattleScribe to build the list? it prevents a lot of mistakes!

5 man assault squads do not get free DropPods anymore since the Angel's Blade update unfortunately.
Furthermore Drop assault squads are kind of a Suicide unit and will die anyway, therefore you are wasting your points if you put Priests with them!

Priests belong into big and/or naturally tanky squads to make the most of the Feel no Pain, so either 10 man squads or things like Terminators, Bikes, Sanguinary Guard
Death Company don't need a priest they benefit extremely from a Chaplain though... if they ever make it into combat.

Raphens DC is too expensive. Cassor is nice enough (you could strap him to one of the Stormravens!)
Furioso Deads with Frag Cannon are also great in Drop Pods so if you have to decide wether Cassor or Furioso is in a Pod, put the Furioso in there and Cassor onto the stormraven.
=Blood Angels=

Offline Cerberus121

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 05:23:25 AM »
To Sensenbob & Pigeon89b

Thank you, after actually typing out what I was trying to accomplish, it became very clear it needed to be very fast and in true BA fashion "fast and in your face".
Yes, I was planning on the Dreads being brought in with the Ravens. Mainly so that I had extra guns on the table that could deal with the possibilities of fliers, but also put extra heavy guns in there, just in case. I was actually going to bring both the DC unit and the Squad in on one Raven, that way the other Raven can be a change of insertion for another unit if I need to change things up.

I have been using Armybuilder and it actually lets you chose more than 1 item. So I will probably go with Wings and Auspex and change the size of my assault units. Especially since my guestion about pods being free turns out to be the way I thought it was... you gotta pay for what you get. Although with that being said, I am now wondering if they should go in Razorbacks instead. Since it seems to me that they would give the units way more protection until I get them where I want them. And now that I am sure of the Land Speeder, I think 2 squadrons would be something found in a fast / ambush / infiltration type army.

Thanks for all your advice everyone.
Can't wait to start actually buying and building my army. I will double check my list and check with you all to see where I am still lean, or wrong.
/salute

For those not sure what I was looking for...
I wrote out a description earlier here in the forums:
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=7434.msg59264#msg59264
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:30:19 AM by Cerberus121 »

Offline Pigeon89B

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 06:48:58 AM »
If you are going to put close to 600 points in a storm Raven you want reserve rerolls or to take a sky shield landing pad for 75 points. The new planetary assault book gives (ready for take off) for free now so you can start a raven on the table in hover, however that does mean if you don't have first turn it can get shot at. Since you're using it as a transport JINK. Speeders are good, the Angels wing is ok. If you have extra points take melts bombs rather than an auspex unless you see alot of guard and various eldar who live in cover saves. And razorbacks are very good, the las cannon plasma gun is one of the best variants being that it has 3 high strength low ap shots
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:50:38 AM by Pigeon89B »

Offline Cerberus121

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 01:25:41 AM »
I think I finally figured it out.
It incorporates all the advice I have gotten here on this Forum, a couple of Messages, and talking to players at the local game store.

Hows this look now?
It's as close to my description as I can get, unfortunately I don't have the points for the Stormraven's at this time.
Maybe in another version of the list in the future.

I have to read more about "The Angel's Wing", I kept it because it allows me to reroll for reserves for that pod I believe.

The Damned Company of Lord Caustus            1845   points
7 pods & 1 unit in reserve at start of the game.

The Damned Company of Lord Caustus   1845   points   

HQ   Chaplian   120   w/pod   35   
        Angel's Wing, Auspex

LoW   Brother Corbulo   120   w/ Assault pod      

Troops   Cassor the Damned   140   w/pod   35   
         Raphen's Death Company   210   W/ Chaplain in pod

Elites   Furioso Dreadnought   130   w/pod   35
              Frag cannon, Power Fist w/ Meltagun   
         Furioso Dreadnought   130   w/pod   35
              Frag cannon, Power Fist w/ Meltagun

Fast Attack   Flamer Assault Squad (10 man)   165   w/pod   35
                   2 Flamers, Sgt w/ 1 Inferno Pistol & Chainsword
              Flamer Assault Squad (10 man)   165   w/pod   35
              Flamer Assault Squad (10 man)   165   w/pod   35
              Land Speeders x3   255   in-reserve
                   Typhoon Missile Launcher, Multi-melta      
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:45:07 AM by Cerberus121 »

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 02:31:47 AM »
Cassor and Raphen's DC don't get Pods.  They don't have the option for Dedicated Transports so you have to pick them up through Fast Attack.  Raphen's DC can't take a pod anyway since the rules for Jump Packs in Transports are very clear.  Corbulo is not a LOW so I have no idea why you have him marked as one.

Your squads are unfocused.  Flamers and a random Melta pistol.  Dreads have a Template that kills the crap out infantry and a Meltagun.  Raphen's DC which is very well known as the least efficient DC squad possible.  They need a target they want to hunt and then do it.  Having multiple units allows you to decide during deployment how to deal the damage.  Playing against Orks?  This set up is fine on Wave 1, but if you're playing against Marines in Rhinos, that one Meltagun isn't guaranteed to pop the transport and your guns won't kill the Rhino.  And what if you face a Knight?  Cut a burn unit, remove those Infernos and make two units of Meltacide.  Five ASM with two Meltaguns and a Combimelta Sergeant.  Wave 1 is the Meltacide and the burn comes whenever they come in.  And frankly, drop Raphen's DC.  If you want Death Company, get a unit of them in the Elite slot.

Playing Land Speeders the way you are looking to is a big challenge.  Not many players can pull it off since you don't choose when you spring that trap, it's decided for you and you have to make the most of it.  Hopefully you have a target to nuke but it's not usually the best use of the points.  But when used correctly, that's a lot of hurt dished out.  You'll need to get real good at identifying what the biggest threats are and when to engage, when to tarpit with your very assaulty army and when to volley or even lose a unit so the Speeeders can do their job.

Oh, and a final alteration: if you put a pistol on a Sergeant, change the Chainsword to that fancy pistol.  A Chainsword is a basic CCW.  So is a pistol.  The Gunslinger rule allows you to shoot two pistols in the Shooting phase, still gives the +1 bonus and still hits just as hard as the sword.  It doesn't look as cool, but it's a better gameplay choice a lot of folks overlook.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:04:12 AM by SharkoutofWata »