Author Topic: A Journal of Conversions, Painted Minis & an Evolving Army List [Pic heavy!]  (Read 3850 times)

Offline The Scribe

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel: The Scribe
Hello everyone! I've never played CSM before but since I own 30 Plaguebearers I wanted to make them work and use Plague Marines to do so. To that end I crafted this army list! It's a fun list but it's meant to be a good one nonetheless and takes advantage of the models that I like

Feedback and thoughts would be much appreciated :)

Plague Army (1485/1500)

Helcult Formation (225)
- Helbrute + Twin-linked lascannon
- 10x Cultists
- 10x Cultists

C.A.D.: Chaos Space Marines (810)

Fortifications: 70
- Aegis defence line + Comms relay

H.Q.: 90
- Chaos Lord + Mark Of Nurgle

Troops: 380
- 5x Plague Marines + 2x Meltaguns + Combi-melta + Chaos Rhino

- 5x Plague Marines + 2x Plasma guns + Combi-plasma + Chaos Rhino

Heavy Support: 280
- Chaos Vindicator + Combi-bolter + Daemonic possession

Allies: Chaos Daemons (450)

H.Q.: 140
- 2x Heralds of Nurgle + 2x Greater Locus of Fecundity

Troops: 310
- 15x Plaguebearers + Instrument Of Chaos + Icon Of Chaos

- 15x Plaguebearers (135) + Instrument Of - 15x Plaguebearers + Instrument Of Chaos + Icon Of Chaos

How the Army Should Work

*Objective Grabbers & General Purpose:
5 Plague Marines in Rhino
5 Plague Marines in Rhino

*Advancing Midfield Group:
Helcult Formation
Vindicator (surrounded by the Helcult)

*Backfield Support:
Chaos Vindicator
Aegis line + comms relay

*Deep Strike Objective-Grabbers:
2x Heralds of Nurgle
15x Plagubearers
15x Plagubearers
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:18:24 PM by The Scribe »

Offline Cultist

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Nurgle Army List 1500 pts
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »
Vindicators like to be mobile, but if you are keeping one back for board control, its going to do a lot better with one of those groups of plaguebearers for protection from melta and assault. Plaguebearers have built in shrouded so they pair well with the cover the aegis line would give.

I think you need a non-vehicle model to run the comms relay. Not sure where that leads you in army design.

A Herald of Nurgle is an expensive way to get FNP. Id drop one and give the other some psychic levels or something. Maybe split the Plaguebearers 20 and 10 and put him in the bigger group. A cheap unit of plaguebearers is nice to throw at things anyway to buy some time or hold a far away objective.

Im not the biggest fan of helbrutes, but you have rhinos and vindicators in your list so maybe hell work as not being a priority to kill.

The lord is a lot of points for not being kitted out at all. I probably put too many points into mine, but giving him a weapon for ap would be a big step up. Id maybe drop the cult, and use the cultist for troops and you could still keep the helbrute. You could then switch from the lord to a sorc or even a daemon prince if you could find the points.

Vindicators are really fun to play and if you have the models you need to field them. The av11 side armor was rough to deal with on a vehicle that has to get fairly close so I dont field them anymore. If you drop the helbrute and the aegis, you could run three as a squad and try out that new Linebreaker Bombardment rule.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:53:59 PM by Cultist »

Offline SidjostromPrimarch DCLXVI

• Battle Brother
  • Preaching Word of The Dark Gods since 007 M31.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 03:40:39 AM »
It's generally a very well built list but it might be worth giving the chaos lord at least a sigil and a power weapon. The other thing to keep in mind is that with the new traitor legions a whole new avenue of awesome is opened up for the death guard. In the context of your list it would allow you to exchange the PM units (a personal favourite of mine) for regular chaos marines ones and still maintain the 5+ feel no pain, fearless and toughness 5. You would however still have to pay the 4ppm to get MoN and Veterans of the Long war but it would save a lot of points in the end to be spent on the lord or other units.

A regular PM squad is 120 points base for 5, no cost for the champ as apposed to a much cheaper 95 point squad of 5 death guard marines. If you were to go down that  route I would probably go for a plasma gun/combi plasma on the squad as they would have relentless. Maybe worth shilling out the extra 10 points to give them the CCWs.
  • Chaos Space Marines, Grey Knights, Officio Assassinorum

Offline The Scribe

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 01:19:22 PM »
Thanks for the reviews! I was actually waiting for Traitor Legions to be released before posting the changes I've made to the list. I'll share the list first then add my commentary afterwards.

Combined Arms Detachment: Death Guard Detachment (790)
H.Q.: 130
- Sorcerer + Psyker mastery level 2 + the Burning Brand of Skalathrax + Mark Of Nurgle

Troops: 380
- 5x Plague Marines + 2x Meltaguns + Combi-melta + Chaos Rhino
- 5x Plague Marines + 2x Plasma guns + Combi-plasma + Chaos Rhino

Heavy Support: 280

Combined Arms Detachment: Chaos Daemons (710)
H.Q.: 140
- 2x Heralds of Nurgle + 2x Greater Locus of Fecundity

Troops: 360
- 3x Nurgling Swarms
- 3x Nurgling Swarms
- 3x Nurgling Swarms
- 10x Plaguebearers
- 15x Plaguebearers

Fast Attack:
- 5x Plague Drones

Total: 1500/1500

I've listened to all the comments and the biggest change I've made was to give the Vindicators more protection by having them flanked by the two units of Plaguebearers, plus adding a screening unit of Plague Drones moving ahead of them. After that I removed the Cultists and their formation. Next I changed the Chaos Lord for a Sorcerer (ML2) with the Burning Brand of Skalathrax. Now the main issue that I'm grappling with is: should I use MSU Chaos Space Marine units and cram more units into my army list, or should I stick with Plague Marines so that I can take advantage of the fact that 3/5 guys can use special weapons such as combi-plasma and plasma guns?

How the Army Should Work

*Objective Grabbers & General Purpose:
5x Plague Marines in Rhino + Sorcerer
5x Plague Marines in Rhino

*Advancing Midfield Group:
5x Plague Drones
2x Vindicators
10x Plaguebearers + Herald of Nurgle
15x Plaguebearers + Herald of Nurgle

*Deep Strike Objective-Grabbers:
3x Nurgling Swarms
3x Nurgling Swarms
3x Nurgling Swarms
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 01:21:02 PM by The Scribe »

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »
I think both plague marines and Nurgle marines have their advantages and personally I've always been a big fan of the plague marines blight grenades as they tend to catch assault units off guard. Something I would definitely consider bringing is the spell familiar for the sorcerer as for 15 points you make it one of the most reliable psykers in the game and in many ways superior to the base SM libbie. Looks like a good plan with the nurgle demons as I'm sure they'll draw a lot of the firepower from the vindicators with shrouded and everything. Just out of interest, what's your plan for the Burning brand?

Offline The Scribe

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 07:09:27 PM »
The Burning Brand is my "fun" item in the army, but basically the Sorcerer rides with the Plague Marines who have two plasma guns and a combi-plasma: they can go around grabbing objectives and/or scorching anything in power armour

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 09:23:31 AM »
Yeah sounds good, lots of marine armies out there and the plague marines make for a good posse as they aren't bad in combat and can take a beating.

Offline The Scribe

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Obliterators & Plague Marines
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 05:58:45 PM »
I'm going to leave the army list as it is for now and focus on sharing some of the conversions and painting I've been up to. First: four (Nurgle-ized) Obliterators. Once I'm done with the Obliterators my 40k painting and conversion focus for the holidays is going to be building up 20 to 30 cultists, three plague drones or chaos spawn and a Vindicator. More to come!

My Plague Marines are Imperial Fists who have recently turned to Nurgle

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:09:24 PM by The Scribe »

Offline The Scribe

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Weathered Vindicator
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 03:20:28 PM »
Work in progress: freshly turned Imperial Fist Vindicator. So fresh that it could even be used in a loyalist army! Although the Marines and Oblits have clearly fallen to Nurgle, I've come to realize that if I collect models that could be used in 40k as well as Age of Sigmar (daemons) as well as in loyalist and chaos armies (Rhinos, Vindicators, etc), then I'll be in a position to get more mileage out of them ;D

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:09:02 PM by The Scribe »

Offline The Scribe

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Mark IV Chaos Marines & Objective Marker
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 09:57:18 PM »
I haven't finished painting as many models as I thought I would by the end of January, however I have nearly completed the bodyguard squad for my Warlord: ten 30k Chaos Space Marines freshly turned to Nurgle. The idea is that they were lost in the warp, joined up with the Nurgle Imperial Fist contingent in the 41st millennium and were subsequently tainted. Now nine of them serve as bodyguards for my level 3 Sorcerer in a Rhino

One last thing to mention: I say that they're "nearly" finished because I've added barbed wire to some of the bases, but it's still too bright and shiny for the post-apocalyptic feel that I'm going for. I think that I'm going to have to prime the barbed wire, paint it leadbelcher, wash it with nuln oil and make it look rusty. Thoughts and opinions welcome :)

Here you can see the barbed wire I've added to the (40k) Plague Marine bases as well as the Sorcerer surrounded by his (30k) bodyguard unit. I also made a simple objective marker for my army from a Terminator sprue set. Hopefully I'll find inspiration to make more.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:09:57 PM by The Scribe »

Offline The Scribe

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Cultists, Sorcerer & Renegade Knight
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 11:40:14 AM »
I've got another update with photos to share. Comments and feedback are always welcome :)

First we up are the five Cultists that I've finished so far. Five done -- 20 to go! I was actually really motivated to get them all done last week but then I realized that I wanted a Chaos Sorcerer/Lord in Terminator armour to lead them and got carried away with that instead... ;)

Speaking of my Sorcerer, I've thickened the base and it really shows when he's next to other models, hence the size comparison in the second photo:

Next up we have my allied Word Bearer Sorcerer (or Lord) in Terminator armour. I know, I know: technically with the gold trimming that makes him look like a Crimson Slaughter -- but too bad. I liked the gold trim so I went with it. ;)

As for why I went with Word Bearers: I've always wanted to be able to summon Daemons in 40k, and a Word Bearer Sorcerer is (or can be) cheap and can do it on a 3+! That being said I think this is the coolest model in my collection and the best paint job I've ever done so I loaded him up with a bunch of wargear and --  for just under 200 points -- I have an awesome model (that I'm very proud of!) to lead my horde of Cultists and spawn new hordes until he reaches combat 8)

Finally we have the Renegade Knight. I wanted to give it a unique colour scheme so that it would stand out in the army (as if its' size wasn't enough) and to infer that it's a Freeblade. The concept behind this Chaos Warband is that I want to showcase and practice weathering techniques, so it had to be a pale colour -- I went with the colour scheme for House Griffith, although I used the decal for House Terryn. It's not accurate to the fluff but it looks great and I'm happy with it.

As with most models in my army, I purposefully avoided adding or painting on any Chaos iconography so that I could also use the model with my loyalist Marines as a Crusader Imperial Knight. Finally I didn't glue the secondary weapons so that I can switch between heavy tank-hunting and infantry-annihilation. I hope that by keeping a journal on the forums here it helps inspire other people who want to play Chaos. Personally I was greatly inspired by Fritz's Berserkers of Skalathrax :)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:04:35 PM by The Scribe »

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Sweet!
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Offline The Scribe

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
25 Chaos Cultists: arms & weapons assembled
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 03:14:39 PM »
Thanks Fritz! :) My next update: I've finally given the cultists a basecoat, a wash, glued on their arms/weapons and painted their bases. Next I have to paint said arms and weapons. I'm not sure if I'll do more than give them a basecoat and a wash, but once that's done my mob of 25 Chaos cultists will at least be tabletop ready!

Offline The Scribe

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
3 Objective Markers
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 07:49:59 PM »
I've been slow to paint up my cultists but at least they've got their basecoats. Nevertheless I put them aside to do some objective markers. The first one I did way back in December 2016, but the two newer ones were done today.

Offline The Scribe

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
My Cultists are tabletop standard but not yet finished. In the meantime I broke up the monotony of painting T3 horde models with a daemon prince and a final squad of Chaos Marines (Mark IV armour). For now I'll stick to showing off the daemon prince as I'm particularly proud of the lava effects. I've also made an intro video to go over the army as a whole, check it out here: Nurgle Imperial Fists: Introduction

More videos to come!