Author Topic: 1850pts Deathwatch  (Read 788 times)

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
  • I have been collecting and playing 40k since 1996
    • View Profile
1850pts Deathwatch
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:34:42 AM »
This army is Null Deployment and is designed to Alpha Strike.

The empty Pods are there to push more pods with men onto the board early.

1 team of my choosing will remain in reserve at the beginning of the battle.

Libby will be rolling on Telepathy mainly to get psychic shriek to add to Alpha Strike.

Let me know you thoughts.

1850pts Deathwatch

HQ- Librarian
70pts

T- Veterans
1x Watch Sergeant, Bolter, Shotgun & Auspex
4x Veterans, Melta-gun, Bolter
3x Veterans, Deathwatch Frag Cannon
2x Veteran, Deathwatch Shotgun, Boltgun
1x Drop Pod
375pts

T- Veterans
1x Watch Sergeant, Bolter, Shotgun & Auspex
2x Veteran, Deathwatch Shotgun, Boltgun
Drop Pod (35)
375pts

T- Veterans
3x Veteran, Deathwatch Shotgun, Boltgun
Drop Pod (35)
370pts

T- Veterans
3x Veteran, Deathwatch Shotgun, Boltgun
Drop Pod (35)
370pts

T- Veterans
5x Veterans, Bolter & Grav-gun
Drop Pod (35)
220pts

FA- Drop Pod
35pts

FA- Drop Pod
35pts

1850pts

Offline fearzffs

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: 1850pts Deathwatch
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 01:23:56 AM »
For 1850 points this is kind of meh.
First thing I'd take at least 2 aqua kill teams with 4x frag cannons since frag cannons usually wound or even pen on 2s the reroll 1 to wound or pen is amasing.
Also I'd make a unit in a drop pod with for example 1 sergent with signum to remove cover save and 4 meltas or 4 frag cannons. I'd not take grave with death watch. If you want grave so much I'd go for Skyhammer Annihilation Force.

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
  • I have been collecting and playing 40k since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 07:31:59 AM »
Out of curiosity why only a 4 man team in a Drop Pod? Why not a 10 man team combat squaded?

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 11:11:04 PM »
I was running Grav Skyhammer with Frag Deathwatch at Warzone Atlanta. 3 Wins and 2 losses. I could have done better with target priority on my losses and probably converted a loss into a win. Still learning the army.

Here are my thoughts:

4 Frag Cannons in one squad is overkill in most cases. Seems better to spread your points and heavy hitting firepower around. Also, having a couple of SpecAmmo bolters to extend the range of your damage past the flamer template has proven essential for "cleaning up" more distant enemy models within the unit. There's a certain petty satisfaction to be had when your opponent's glee that one of his guys has survived the fragging only to realize that he has to pick him up once the bolters have had their say.

Always Frag first, bolter last.

I do think Grav Cannons are much better than grav guns, even with the high point cost and inconvenience of needing a second detachment. Skyhammer is excellent but Centurions will do the trick, particularly with White Scars and the Hunters Eye. Grav Cannons' re-roll to wound usually finishes off whatever MC you're targeting. Similar to Frag Cannons, 3 Grav Cannons seems to be good. Gives you an extra guy to take the hit due to Intercept or normal incoming fire. 3 Grave Cannons are usually more than enough to eradicate a Riptide or Wraithknight. An Imperial Knight is a different matter since you need 6s to take off HPs but you really need a second unit shooting from a different angle to get around the Ion Shield anyway. Ridiculous things like a Stormsurge often require a second grav unit anyway even with 4 grav cannons.

I haven't tried combat squading Frag and melta yet. I like the idea of it. You can really forward load your alpha strike. With some clever positioning, you could melta a transport with the first half and then frag the passengers with the second. Or get multiple angles on an Imperial Knight. I'll give it a try when I get the chance.

Of course, the downside of making the most use of your Frag Cannons is you're now danger close to the enemy. In one game I was able to wipe out one unit of Khorne Dogs while damaging a second unit only to have the Deathwatch mobbed by two more units of Khorne Dogs. I took several out with overwatch but Khorne Daemonkin can afford to lose dogs more than I can afford Deathwatch.

Hit and Run would be a huge help