So this is is a thread about me needing some creative inspiration.
I've been in the hobby on and off for about a dozen years, but only ever collected blood angels (now lamenters) in 40k.
Our meta is very marine heavy, but no one plays chaos, and I've thought more and more about the narrative lure of being the bad guy and that's definitely a gap our group needs to fill... But I'll need some help with my thoughts if I am ever to realize these plans. I also realize that just like the loyalist space marines table top performance will never be anything like the lore and books.
So here's what I would want my army to be and not to be:
- Grim and gritty, frightening looking without the more cartoonish elements and colors. I want them to feel like ruthless, murderous rebels on a mission, not raving lunatics
- Not necessarily all close combat oriented but definitely not a happy camper setup.
- Focus on marines, not vehichles, although supporting elements are welcome
- Play differently enough from my jump troop and assault heavy blood angels to be a fun alternative
- No nurgle puss and slaneshi tentacles. I really don't like those aesthetics
- Slight daemonic influence is ok, but I want the leading elements to be super human
So looking at those I'd like some help with choosing a legion/warband (not black legion, I can't stand Failbadon the harmless) and also some tips at a couple of units to start modeling with. I don't mind kit bashing and/or converting to get a better end result. I'm looking at a really long term project here and I realize that chaos space marines are up for major changes so I don't want to over commit.
I've thought about night lords, but I'm not sure how those would be best represented in 40k I also don't like renditions when they go "over the top" with bat iconography everywhere. I've also thought about alpha legion with massive amounts of cultists. But I'd like more army looking cultists for them than the current sculpts. Alpha legion also don't "feel" all that evil...
As a final apprehension most of what I describe above is mostly an "evil loyalist" marine force. I don't want it to be only that so I need some help pushing me over the chaos edge.