Author Topic: Feeling the lure of chaos  (Read 604 times)

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Feeling the lure of chaos
« on: December 21, 2016, 05:09:37 AM »
So this is is a thread about me needing some creative inspiration.

I've been in the hobby on and off for about a dozen years, but only ever collected blood angels (now lamenters) in 40k.

Our meta is very marine heavy, but no one plays chaos, and I've thought more and more about the narrative lure of being the bad guy and that's definitely a gap our group needs to fill... But I'll need some help with my thoughts if I am ever to realize these plans. I also realize that just like the loyalist space marines table top performance will never be anything like the lore and books.

So here's what I would want my army to be and not to be:

• Grim and gritty, frightening looking without the more cartoonish elements and colors. I want them to feel like ruthless, murderous rebels on a mission, not raving lunatics
  • Not necessarily all close combat oriented but definitely not a happy camper setup.
  • Focus on marines, not vehichles, although supporting elements are welcome
  • Play differently enough from my jump troop and assault heavy blood angels to be a fun alternative
  • No nurgle puss and slaneshi tentacles. I really don't like those aesthetics
  • Slight daemonic influence is ok, but I want the leading elements to be super human

So looking at those I'd like some help with choosing a legion/warband (not black legion, I can't stand Failbadon the harmless) and also some tips at a couple of units to start modeling with. I don't mind kit bashing and/or converting to get a better end result. I'm looking at a really long term project here and I realize that chaos space marines are up for major changes so I don't want to over commit.

I've thought about night lords, but I'm not sure how those would be best represented in 40k I also don't like renditions when they go "over the top" with bat iconography everywhere. I've also thought about alpha legion with massive amounts of cultists. But I'd like more army looking cultists for them than the current sculpts. Alpha legion also don't "feel" all that evil...

As a final apprehension most of what I describe above is mostly an "evil loyalist" marine force. I don't want it to be only that so I need some help pushing me over the chaos edge.
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling the lure of chaos
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 08:40:36 AM »
Go for it!

Your Blood Angels will now have traitors to fight, and in your meta you get to enjoy marines even when you play against them. The biggest fun for me of playing Chaos is that we do get to explore being the bad guy and play that in a game, plus twisting the words of smug Space Marine players and the hypocrisy of their faith in the emperor.

Lots of Chaos Marines, a few cultists (think of them as scouts), and some of the cool war machines makes for a fun army to play even without the usual space marine like vehicles of land raider, rhinos, and the like.

As for paint- have you looked at Iron Warriors? Steel, rust, and hazard lines make for a striking look.

Beyond the traitor legions, lots of interesting colors- grey, rust, don't even need all the Chaos Spikes.

Hail Horus! 

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 07:00:54 PM »
Thanks for the tips!

I'll dig into the lore and start experimenting with some test minis I think. See what gets the blood pumping! Never really thought about the iron warriors... Not a bad fit for what I'm after I think. I just never like Puertorabo much but he's rotting on his deamon world anyway so that might be perfect actually.
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline tombranstetter

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 08:28:46 AM »
death guard have some really cool rules.....feel no pain, relentless, fearless....granted they are nurgle

Offline PepeTykki

• Initiate
  • Death To The False Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 11:19:47 PM »
If you don't want to follow any particular legion you can always create your own warband, legion, fallen chapter etc. And then pick the rules for them from any given legion. This is good cuz you can create your own reasons for your army's treachery and like that, create your own narative. True that same goes for loyalists but no matter what the story there might be, they are still just loyalists worshiping a roting corpse. With Chaos the reasons can be much deeper. Might be that they are not really traitors but have done something wrong in the eyes of the imperium and now the inquisition huts them. Or they might be vengeful warband out for blood from a specific loyalist chapter. Who knows... And thats the true lure of Chaos!

As for ideas on the color schemes... I've been fixated on pure white as a main color and blood red as the trim. So imagine a whole army of white and red on the tabletop. I think it might look very menacing.