Author Topic: Returning to 40k  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Jetboy69

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Returning to 40k
« on: December 27, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »
Ok, I am returning to 40k after being gone from the mid 90s or so. I am trying to put together an army with the hodge podge of pieces that I have.  I have,

a bunch of battle sisters some with bolters, some with meltas and some with flamers.  I have a couple of canoneses and an exterminator.

In addition, I have two tempestus command squades and three scion units.  These come with two valkeries.

The only thing else I have is the Dark angels from the Dark Vengeance starter set.

I know that this is not very detailed, but I am looking for ideas for a CAD I can put together with this.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:45:49 PM by Jetboy69 »

Offline Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Returning to 40k
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 11:13:53 AM »
CAD? If you are asking more of how to build a couple lists with the stuff you have we'll need a bit more detail on the models you have.

If you don't mind doing a bit more detailed break down we can get something sorted out for you. But it seems like it is still a lot of parts of armies that might not work super well together.

Offline Jetboy69

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 06:17:58 AM »
Thanks for the response.I am trying to put something together so that I can start playing as a build another army.  I would like the sisters to be my primary detachment if possible.  I think thatI have enough pieces to put together a combined arms detachment (CAD)

What I have to date is as follows:

Sisters

1 Canoness combi-melta and power axe
1 Canoness bolt pistol and power sword
1 Canoness Veridyan bolt pistol and power sword

7 sisters of battle with bolters
1 sister of battle with a melta gun
2 sisters of battle with flamers
1 veteran superior with bolter and power sword

1 retributor with multi melta
1 retributor with heavy flamer

1 excorcist

Tempestors

2 tempestor primes with plasma pistols
2 tempestors with plasma pistols and power swords
1 tempestor with hot shot las pistol and power maul
1 scion with med-pack
1 scion with grenade launcher
1 scion with flamer
4 scion with plasma rifle
4 scion with hot shot volley guns
4 scions with melta guns
5 scions with hot shot lasguns

2 Valkries with las cannons and multiple rocket pads

Marines

1 Dark Angels Company master (Balthasar) w/ bolt pistol and power sword

1 Librarian w/ bolt pistol and force sword

1 Dark Angel Tactical Squad
  • 1 veteran sergeant w/ plasma pistol and chain sword
    1 Space Marine w/ plasma cannon and bolt pistol
    1 space marine with plasma gun
    7 space marines with boltguns

1 Deathwing Terminator Squad
  • 1 terminator Sergeant w/ storm bolter and power sword
    1 terminator w/ assault cannon and power fist
    1 terminator w/ storm bolter and chain fist
    2 terminator w/ storm bolter and power fist

1 Ravenwing Bike Squadron
  • 1 Ravenwing Segeant w/ chainsword and twin linked bolt guns
    1 Ravenwing Biker w/ Plasmagun and twin linked bolt guns
    1 Ravenwing Biker w/bolt pistol and twin linked bolt guns

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Many Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:19:57 AM by Jetboy69 »

Offline Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »
Alright for a thousand point army we could maybe do Sisters of Battle and your Tempestus. For the sisters side of it you will need to proxy a tiny bit since  you don't have much. 

This idea will get you around 1000 points

For the sisters part of the list you might want to use the new Canoness Verdiyan, the exorcists, and for the two troops you are going to have at least 5 man squads with the special weapon a storm bolter, the heavy weapon a heavy bolter, and for the sergeants give them a storm bolter as well.

What they are going to do is mostly sit on your side of the table on an objective and harass anything that gets to close. They aren't going to be moving around a bunch and you will want to try and keep them within 12" of the Canoness for Percision shot. 

OK with tempustes you will kind of need to take the Command squad  the medkit guy might be useful with them for the feel no pain. You might also want to keep  the Canoness with them to protect them with her power armor or for them to take wounds off of her that could kill her. Anyone else that can take a hotshot volley guns.

The two troops you would be similar scion squads with 2 melta guns in the valkyiers. How many are in each squad depends how much points you have left over in 1000points.  Melta guns are good against vehicles especially if you get within 6" for the melta rule but this will most likely leave these guys stuck across the table and dying to revenge fire.

Somethings you might have trouble with are deepstriking dreadnoughts, armies that would have more shooting than you at 36" or more like tau or imperial guard,vehicle spam for just not having a ton of anti armor, terminators or other units that have 2+ armor saves, and the assault phase.

Your troops are mostly going to want to fire at other troops best range being 24" unless it is the melta scions because they are going to be on anti armor duty with the exorcist that offers long range anti armor fire on anything that isn't a landraider for the most part.

Offline Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 03:31:18 PM »
Sadly you don't have any rhinos or Immolators for the sisters squad they usually don't sit back with heavy bolters and stormbolters. But instead drive up and burn things to death with flamers, walking them up the table on foot isn't the best situation for them. I wouldn't really get anything for them right now since we are in this weird place where new formations or codex could come out along with the long rumored plastic sisters which is increasingly becoming a reality. Which could add in new units that might very well change what you should get.

If you where to get something for them your safest bet would be either a rhino couple rhinos or a couple immolators. Because they can be used with sisters or easily the Dark angels with the rhino. The immolator can be proxied as a razor back or the other way around if you wanted to pick up razor backs instead because you just didn't like the way immolators looked. They are both about the same size and both have a turret on top they can shoot with.

You might even beable to get away with using the immolator or razer back as a taurox. But there models are a lot more different than a taurox which is more slender and taller than either of the other vehicles and also has its weapons in different places.

Tauroxes might be a good choice for the tempestus to use for the formation from the start collecting kit you would have to maybe proxy the canoness's as commissars for that formation until you where able to pick some up if you liked using them. You could even pick up the start collecting box itself which would come with a taurox, a commissar

If you wanted to get more Dark Angels models, you are kind of stuck into the three different parts of dark angels with Ravenwing, Deathwing, and Greenwing. Which is just do you want to play more bikes, more terminators, or a little bit more traditional marines.

Since you have only the things out of the start box you could decide that you wanted them to be blood angels instead or one of the other space marine flavors. You could easily do it but if  you started to build up Ravenwing with a ton of bikes and speeders or Deathwing with a ton of terminators it becomes a bit harder to switch them into a different space marine army.

I don't know a lot about space marines so I really can't help you to much with them. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful and not to confusing.

Offline Jetboy69

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 02:17:20 AM »
Thanks,

This has been a great help.  I had it on my plan to get to Immolators as well, but never got around to it.  This will probably be a future purchase.  I am looking forward to the new stuff that might come out this year.

Quick question, based on the new FAQs, is it possible for a cannoness to start in a Valkyrie?

Offline Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 07:55:48 AM »
Yeah she can not come on the table with the valkyiers, Independent characters count as units and the FAQ forbids Battle brother units from embark in each others transports during deployment.

She can get in later though, but that would be turn three at the earliest.