Author Topic: First post. Let's talk bubblechuckas  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Warboss_Gorskargka

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
First post. Let's talk bubblechuckas
« on: December 27, 2016, 09:53:18 PM »
What's up everyone? I'm an ork player from CT and I'm here bc Fritz's channel.

Sometimes I wonder how to unlock bubblechuckas and understand what their strengths and weaknesses are. I think what turns most people away from them is just how weird the Strength/AP dynamic is, but I've crunched the numbers on them and imagine a unit of 5 being able to threaten both all varieties of heavy and light infantry.

The key is in that they all roll for S/AP separately, unlike lootas and flash gitz where you roll a D3 or D6 for the effect on the whole unit. So an entire unit would toss out something like (let me roll some dice): two S2/AP2, one S3/AP3, one S5/AP5, one S6/AP6, all in large blast form. In a weird way it feels like a S4 rending large blast, where you'll have some shots that will negate armor saves, but require a 6+ to wound.

Overall they can threaten GEQ/MEQ/TEQ and potentially light vehicles. Strangely they're most like beefed up lobbas, losing barrage for a large blast. Lobbas also have identical S/AP values, which is the chukka's theme.

Anyone have any insight?

Also, where is the button to send a challenge to Fritz? I must snatch the pebble from his hand.

DeffBossGitKrusha

Re: First post. Let's talk bubblechuckas
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 05:53:23 AM »
Yes. haha! Welcome!
For me I like the Bubble Chukka and had 3 of them for a little while but moves off to the KMK's.
What I like about the Bubble Chukkas is that they a re large Blast weapons. Which in it self is huge for low Bs units. They're more likely to "hit' their target even with a slight deviation off target.  The problem I have with them is more related to how I've rolled that what they do, or don't. My friend plays TAU so they're ideal for messing up his squishy units but have to be in range. Freeing up my other units to play in a more dedicated manner towards his harder units.
I don't think a unit of 5 is worth the points, time or trouble. Maybe 2 or 3 in a unit at 60 to 90 points it's going to have a more noticeable impact being nearly dirt cheap. But that's how I do things. I keep my unit costs low and take as much as I can. While not really playing msu.
I don't think that the ap is very important. I'm more interested in forcing saves, leadership and morale checks. Again that's just how I do it.

I have no idea about any Fritz Button.

Offline Warboss_Gorskargka

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 05:57:07 PM »
Maybe 2 or 3 in a unit at 60 to 90 points it's going to have a more noticeable impact being nearly dirt cheap. But that's how I do things. I keep my unit costs low and take as much as I can. While not really playing msu.

Maybe 3 is more realistic number. The full squad draws me in because it's quite an interesting effect mathematically when you add more variance thru volume of shots.

You actually bring up a good point about range. Something I've had trouble with is the 36" range of most ork artillery, especially with hammer and anvil deployment. I found myself pushing zzap gunz up the board on turn three to get back in range, given they were able to snipe my enemy's warlord after that. Perhaps attempted infiltration with the finkin kap?

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 05:45:27 AM »

Maybe 3 is more realistic number. The full squad draws me in because it's quite an interesting effect mathematically when you add more variance thru volume of shots.
You actually bring up a good point about range. Something I've had trouble with is the 36" range of most ork artillery, especially with hammer and anvil deployment. I found myself pushing zzap gunz up the board on turn three to get back in range, given they were able to snipe my enemy's warlord after that. Perhaps attempted infiltration with the finkin kap?
One of the other problems with bubble chukkas is the enemies chosen units. Being dedicated, basically, to killing infantry is a limitation. remember you have to pick your target before you know the Strength and AP it's going to have.  So how many points is that worth when they may bring as little infantry as possible. The Key is doing the most damage for the least amount of points to get the biggest return. 
I've said it elsewhere, it's all about getting my 3 to 1 advantage. So, my shooting just needs to set up odds I like, better, before I assault.
As far as infiltrating. Sure. Just be mindful of setting your self up to be assaulted. So, screen your artillery.