Author Topic: Iron Warriors build-a-fort workshop  (Read 683 times)

Offline Voidraven5829

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • My40klife
Iron Warriors build-a-fort workshop
« on: January 12, 2017, 11:35:39 AM »
Has anyone tried making their own fortress yet? Like, using all 3 fortification slots for the Iron Warriors Grand Battalion.
I think I came up with what I wanna use. For the cost of about 1.5 land raiders, i have:
Wall of martyrs bunker with escape hatch and a comms unit,
X2 Vengeance weapons batteries with battle canons
X2 Munitorum shipping crates.

I'm thinking of having the bunker almost front and center, maybe behind a LOS blocking terrain piece and setting up the escape hatch on the other side if the terrain and then having the shipping containers flanking that with some Autocannon havocs sitting on top of the containers for high ground as well as fitting an ammo cache up there for accuracy, while spreading other ammo caches and the promethium barrels strategically. The battle cannons would probably be placed near the sode table edges to potentially block flanking units while maintaining channels of fire.
With all that, if i had room i may add tank traps wherever i can to deter drop pods and assault transports from getting too close to any of my dudes.

What do you think? I did the math, and i can get a fire redoubt with 2 battle cannons instead of the 2 vengeance batteries and the martyrs bunker for only 5 points less, but i feel doing that would limit the modular-ity of having all separate buildings.

Do any of you guys have fun ideas on making use of the potential 3 fortification slots available to the 4th legion?
  • Iron Warriors, Orks, Fallen, Dark Eldar
Iron Within, Iron Without!

Check out my blog!
http://my40klife.blogspot.com

I build stuff too!
www.Facebook.com/MrJ5829

Online Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Warriors build-a-fort workshop
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »
As another Iron Warriors player who has been thinking about trying to make use of the fearless buff from fortifications and the bonuses to ordnance/barrage weapons, I've also been looking at the fortification slots but haven't really come up with anything solid yet.

Will be keen to see if this discussion goes anywhere though.  :)
  • Chaos Space Marines, Astra Militarum, Eldar, Space Marines
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.

Offline Voidraven5829

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • My40klife
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 02:43:30 PM »
Right? It's so disappointing that there are so many cool buffs but very litle tactics written up about using multiple fortifications.
Ive been trying to come up with a "not-so-gunline" gunline.army to use all the fanct stuff.
Like plasma chosen popping up out of an escape hatch, or a cult of destruction using escape hatches to pop up the board turn 1 and just nuke everything in their path.
I think building our own fortresses of solitude are going to be a really fun experience as Iron Warrior players!
  • Iron Warriors, Orks, Fallen, Dark Eldar
Iron Within, Iron Without!

Check out my blog!
http://my40klife.blogspot.com

I build stuff too!
www.Facebook.com/MrJ5829

Offline Pigeon89B

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 08:53:23 AM »
I've found success with a WoM Firestorm Redoubt with two battle cannons. Takes up one slot and still had str8 ap3 to lock down objectives. Perhaps a sky shield landing pad will work since being on a fortification grants fearless. And a 4+ invulnerable.