Author Topic: New Player: I want my first list to be a Cultist Army  (Read 1038 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Zeran

  • Neophyte
  • *
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
New Player: I want my first list to be a Cultist Army
« on: February 01, 2017, 11:42:02 PM »
I literally started up 40k about 3 months ago and I always wanted to make a horde human army. I want to make the board flood with hundreds of models to make every one of my battles looks like a last stand against a numberless enemy. I don't have to win, I just want every one of these games to feel and look amazing.

At first I attempted Genestealer Cult with a spam summon list, but it was not reliable enough to really get that numberless horde feel. Then Traitor Legions came out and I read the Alpha Legion's ambiguous rules for respawning cultists twice (FAQ dashed my dreams but I figured something else out). I knew then that I wanted to make a massive cultist army whose power comes from it's sheer body count.

A few weeks later this happened:


This is about 290 cultists from literally all over the world and to be honest I need almost 300 more to get to the list I really want to make. A 3000 point Chaos Renegade list with over 540 cultists posing as renegades. Basically its 37 squads of 15 man units with a meltagun in each and 3 leman russes for some firepower. All the squads get revived into ongoing reserve with outflank on a 2+ when destroyed or routed.

A link to the list here specifics to the list here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0A1Vmmf7zMcmZzLWM0LWVLV1E/view?usp=sharing

Right now I am looking for cheap cultists from the Dark Vengeance Set since it has the most varied cultists models. I have exhausted all of my usual websites and bitz stores so I am always on the lookout. Also I am looking to get about 100-150 of the convert bodies for renegade militia (both 100+ of the regular and 40 enforcer ones) from forge world so if anyone knows of any of them I can get for cheap that would be cool too.

To be honest, I can't really find a better full cultist list or ways of finding more cultist models. I kinda want opinions on what I have in mind or maybe even better ways of slapping on more cultists into the list. After that video today, I felt like this would be the best place to brainstorm new ideas.

Offline xDalee

  • Grand Master
  • *
  • Posts: 858
    • View Profile
Re: New Player: I want my first list to be a Cultist Army
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 05:24:46 AM »
i recommend looking at alhpa legion with the lost and damned formation, which whenever a culitst unit dies ou get to roll 2 4+'s to spawn another unit in ongoing reserves, if you roll two 4+'s you get 2 more units, so can really go crazy on cultists, even when starting with minimum alpha legion :)
Regards,

Dalee~

Offline Zeran

  • Neophyte
  • *
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: New Player: I want my first list to be a Cultist Army
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:58:38 AM »
i recommend looking at alhpa legion with the lost and damned formation, which whenever a culitst unit dies ou get to roll 2 4+'s to spawn another unit in ongoing reserves, if you roll two 4+'s you get 2 more units, so can really go crazy on cultists, even when starting with minimum alpha legion :)

Yeah this interpretation of the rules is what drove me into making a cultist horde initially. That new FAQ really bummed me out when I read that the two rules do not stack in any way. But that means that if one of those rolls fail, I can use the other rule to psuedo reroll to revive the unit again. I won't get a 25% chance of gaining 2 units, BUT I do get a 75% chance of getting the unit back.

The Vrack's Undying Horde Detachment that the Chaos Renegades have is a 2+ of reviving a unit with outflank in ongoing reserves, which is a 83% chance of revival, plus they get really nice special weapons options as well as cultisty looking IG vehicles and setups.

Offline xDalee

  • Grand Master
  • *
  • Posts: 858
    • View Profile
Re: New Player: I want my first list to be a Cultist Army
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:43:11 AM »
aww damn FAQ, still pretty decent, sad times
Regards,

Dalee~

Offline Fritz40K

  • ADMIN
  • Primarch
  • *
  • Posts: 1365
    • View Profile
Re: New Player: I want my first list to be a Cultist Army
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »
Some might consider it heresy, but Mantic Games zombies mixed in make some interesting tech cultists to bulk out your horde and add some different poses. Here are a few from a friends collection.

Amazing job so far getting that many.

I'd love to face off against your army- would be an amazing last stand battle!
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...