Author Topic: thoughts on nooby 1000pts  (Read 853 times)

Offline Gibbert

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
thoughts on nooby 1000pts
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:16:08 AM »
Hey all, relatively new player (haven't played 40K in about 9 or 10 years) and I really like the look of the elder and I just choose what I liked the look of most, note I don't know how all this formation stuff works so if I've done something wrong please tell me and how to fix it, anyway here's list:

Crimson Death formation:440pts

Autarch: 100pts
Swooping hawk wings
Banshee mask
Scorpion chainsword
Avenger shuriken catapult

5 units of 3 windriders w/ scatter lazors: 405pts

Vyper: 55pts
Starcannon
Shuriken cannon

Total: 1000pts

Not sure if this is a good list or not, all I really know is that apparently it's good to take an Autarch when using crimson hunters as you can better control when they come in from reserves.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: thoughts on nooby 1000pts
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 11:34:32 AM »
Why does the Autarch have wings when literally every other model that isn't a vehicle is on a Jetbikes?

Frankly, this is a mean list to bring at 1000pts and won't make friends.  You have one model that shoots with something less than Strength 6 and spam the good stuff.  If you're cool with that sort of list then it's strong.  If you're in a casual gaming group, I doubt folks would consistently play against this.

Offline Gibbert

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »
Honestly I don't know why I gave him wings, thought it was cool, but to keep with the theme of the list I can replace the wings, chainsword and avenger shuriken catapult for a jet bike and laser lance.

And forgive if this sounds stupid, how come it is so mean and stuff, I have no idea about the meta and all the nuances, just know the basic stuff.

Also I think I'll be quite safe as at my game g group from what I gathered they like "cheesy lists"

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
Eldar are the most powerful faction in the game right now, and they aren't going to be kicked out of that spot any time soon.  One of the big reasons for that is that they essentially don't have a 'tax' unit.  A tax unit is something you don't want to take, but you have to take to make a legal Battleforged army or Formation.  Compare it to the standard Space Marines, who have to take a minimum of two units of five guys with S4 Bolters and are on foot.  They have to pay for mobility and frankly they don't have an option for good firepower.  They're moderately durable and that's their only saving grace.  A standard CAD needs two squads of them, or Scouts, in the Troop slot.  Of course there are ways to make that tax seem like less of a tax, but then we get to Eldar.  Your mandatory units, your Troop choice Jetbikes, move 12", Boost 24" instead of run, have a 3+ armor which can be a 4+ Cover save if someone aims at you with AP2 and then you have the ability to give each and every one three shots at Strength 6.  You're wounding the majority of 'dudes' on a 2+, wounding most big stuff on a 4+ and putting out so many shots that you can even knock down tanks.  In moderation, that's not a big deal, but five units of it at a low point game is a nightmare to face off against unless your opponent is also running something cheesy.  From a damage point of view, they're more than potent and from an Objective game point of view, they all have Objective Secured, super scoring in a way, so when you need an Objective, you can almost always get some models in range of capturing an Objective and stacking up Victory Points.

Throw in three Flyers, which can only be hit on a roll of a 6, and that's brutal.  90% of the armies out there at 1k would have nothing to throw at them.  They'd be praying for a couple 6s to deal a bit of damage, taking away a lot of shots that could have been aimed at your Jetbikes.  So just by being a significant threat, your Jetbikes are getting additional protection.  The threat saturation in this list is beyond ridiculous and you will overwhelm nearly every opponent you play.  Certain Factions, not just army builds but the Faction as a whole, shouldn't even share the same table because they're so outclassed.  This is a problem with the game at large.

If your gaming group plays at this level, this list will be a great place to start though.  There is nothing wrong with playing a cheesy list or using the most powerful units or the most vicious tactics, and anyone that says differently is simply not playing the same game that you are.  The important bit is finding people that ARE playing that game and having those tough games.  When you familiarize yourself with the game again, make sure to check out the ITC Tournaments.  You'll often see no-holds-barred lists in those circles and they made tweaks to the game to make it more competitive.  If this is the level you want to aim for, ITC players might be where you want to find most of your opponents.

The only weak point is that Vyper but there is nothing you can really do about that.  Adding one more model to any unit won't help durability since you take a Leadership test after losing 25% of your unit, and a unit of four losing one is no different than a unit of three losing one.  The Starcannon is not amazing, but it can do work if you use some tricks to up the survivability of it.  Snipe out special weapons in a squad using the Crimson Hunter Exarch and then ram the Vyper down that neutered unit's throat while the planes shoot something else.  Expect the Vyper to die often though because it is the only weak thing you have on the table.

Offline Gibbert

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 03:00:24 PM »
Ah right, when you put it that why does seem a bit broken, but yeah, I would like to play in competitive tournaments and stuff one day, and yeah that viper is there because I literally had 55 points left and didn't know how else to spend it

Online Bjarki

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 05:09:38 AM »
I know this is up to personal preferences, but I would use a Farseer with spear and bike.

He can have 3 powers (I'd go for Guide, Divination primaris, and roll on either fate or divination).

You can twin-link 2 units pretty reliable this way, and he is one of your anti-tank options, just in case your opponent throws in one of those higher AV- units like Cron-barges with active shielding.

Combine 2 of the Scatter-Bike units to one unit of 6 to protect your Psyker.

Downgrade the Vyper to Starcannon/ Catapult.

That would be my take on 1000 points but like i said: use what YOU like, all in all this is a game and games should be fun.

Cheers, mate. ;)

Offline Gibbert

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: thoughts on nooby 1000pts y
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 06:40:11 AM »
I do like the farseer but they are a little expensive I'd have to probs loose a unit of bikes to make room for the gardener, plus I'm using the autarch to get my crimson death in when it's needed more reliably and control when they come in more.
Will use the farseer in a different list that doesn't include the crimson death formation most likely.