Author Topic: 1500 eldar aspect army, opinions needed  (Read 335 times)

Offline maiko9892

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
1500 eldar aspect army, opinions needed
« on: February 14, 2017, 03:29:49 AM »
Want to try out a list I got in my head im using the aspect formation for bs5 would like any opinions and advice I am 43 points under 1500 too don't know what to spend points on

HQ
Farseer

Elites
6x fire dragons, exarch
1x falcon, star cannon, underslung shruiken cannon, holo fields
Troops
10x dire avengers, exarch power Lance and shimmershield
1x wave serpent, twin linked brightlance, holo fields
10x guardian defenders, scatter laser weapon platform

Heavy support
3x war walkers, scatter lasers
3x vaul's support battery, shadow weavers

Offline amras_falassion

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • Eskaywoo: Brand Strategy and Design
Re: 1500 eldar aspect army, opinions needed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 12:59:53 AM »
The list looks like a Combined Arms Detachment... if you want to use the Aspect Host Formation, it's a stand alone formation.
Meaning, you  don't need to add the Farseer. And the Falcon is not a dedicated transport.

Models/units cannot belong to BOTH a Formation or part or another type of detachment at the same time. It can only belong to one.

If you wish to use a battleforged detachment, then choose either ONE CAD or one Formation, or a CAD with Formation(s) or CADs.

43 points, - you can get a basic Vyper.

Offline maiko9892

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:09:35 AM »
Oh ok so in order to have a aspect host I'll have to put fire dragons in a wave serpent then not a falcon, the Farseer is part out the vauls support battery I should of mentioned. I was thinking of dropping one fire dragons and adding two warlocks one to each guardian squad

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:02:12 AM »
You could still build a legal list using the CAD and Aspect Host Formation together, and keep the Fire Dragons in a Falcon.

So your list would look like this:

Combined Arms Detachment
HQ
Farseer

TROOPS

HEAVY SUPPORT
3x war walkers, scatter lasers

3x vaul's support battery, shadow weavers

1x falcon, star cannon, underslung shruiken cannon, holo fields

Aspect Host
6x fire dragons, exarch

Formations are essentially a seperate detachment in their own right.  So you can quite legally put those models on the table but you couldn't for example, have an Aspect Host INSIDE a Combined Arms Detachment.  You have to choose one or the other.

It does not, however, stop you from taking both SEPERATELY in the same list.  So you can put those Fire Dragons in the Falcon but your Dire Avengers will not have the Objective Secured special rule because they're not part of the CAD.  They get +1BS (the Fire Dragons too) because they're part of the Aspect Host.  The Guardians will have Objective Secured because they ARE part of the CAD.

Your army is not limited to a single detachment, so long as you can fulfil the mandatory requirements for all of them.
So for a CAD and Aspect Host; you need 1HQ and 2 Troops (CAD) and 3 units of Aspect Warriors (Aspect Host).

Also, major props for building a list that isn't made of entirely scatterbikes and d-weapons. ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:07:32 AM by Ironclad13 »
  • Chaos Space Marines, Astra Militarum, Eldar, Space Marines
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.

Offline maiko9892

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 09:09:14 AM »
Cool that's awesome that's the kind of list I want to make I'll build the army in the way you said thanks for clearing that up. Yeah I wanted a more fluff feel to my army but still be competive. Not a fan of scatter bike spam😀

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »
I know what you mean.  I used to be a big Eldar player in editions past before I sold my soul to the Ruinous Powers but I do keep a small contingent of Craftworlders to break out for fun occasionally.  I was always a big Biel Tan fan so your list isn't too dissimilar from mine.

Upgrades/Points notwithstanding (though it usually runs around 2000 points), my own Eldar list looks a bit like this:

Combined Arms Detachment
HQ
Farseer

Jetbike Seer

ELITES
Howling Banshees (These are my fun unit, I've loved them since 3rd edition)
+Wave Serpent

TROOPS
Rangers (Because everyone needs a dirt cheap unit that just annoys your opponent into doing stupid things)

Jetbikes (although I prefer shuriken cannons to scatter lasers because pseudo-rending, I'm a big believer in removing enemy saves)
+Jetbike Warlock

Dire Avengers
+Wave Serpent

HEAVY SUPPORT
1 Falcon

1 Falcon

Aspect Host (+1BS)
Fire Dragons

Fire Dragons

Swooping Hawks

Needless to say, the Fire Dragons go in the Falcons and the entire list sweeps forward on mechanised anti-grav.  The Farseers help keep the dice gods on my side and the Swooping Hawks add an element of surprise via Deep Strike and the limited ability to deal with enemy flyers.

Not saying you should copy my list, it doesn't win every game though there's always room to improve my tactics, but it's fairly solid and hopefully it gives you some ideas on some of the options you have to expand or tweak your own list with.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:58:06 AM by Ironclad13 »
  • Chaos Space Marines, Astra Militarum, Eldar, Space Marines
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.

Offline Saieden

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 03:06:11 AM »
If you have another 10 guardians, I would highly recommend trying out a Craftworld Warhost for the 6" run, which means your dragons have an effective melta range of up to 24" while inside a transport (move the vehicle 6", disembark 6", battle focus 6", 6" melta. You can either add a Vyper for the codex guardian battlehost, or use the Pale Courts formation from FW with disciples of Vaul and (adds artillery and war walkers respectively, but is 1-3 units of each so it's a lot more flexible).

Unless your meta has a large amount of land raiders, a multi-shot weapon will do a lot better than a bright lance on your wave serpents. Their primary job here is getting the Avengers into a solid position while weakening units with shots of opportunity, and after that, capturing objectives and leaning up when your Avengers miss that last model or 3 in a unit.

The shuriken cannon on the Falcon is not necessary, because you'll want to be moving 12" virtually every turn except the one you disembark so you're only firing two weapons at full BS.

The fire dragons are the only unit that can reliably threaten heavily armored threats (high AV and gargantuan) so if you come up against a titan, they're very likely to get targeted down quickly and leave you with no way to stop it from rampaging through the rest of your army. I like to use D-cannons because they are hard to kill (with good deployment and movement), cheap, threaten everything, and project a wide no-go zone that can act as a passage for the fire dragons, making them more likely to reach their target.