Author Topic: Night Lords at night  (Read 597 times)

Offline Noctifer

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Night Lords at night
« on: February 17, 2017, 12:32:02 AM »
I was looking into exploring some of the other (non-slaanesh chapters) out there and this group sounded intriguing.  Some people were sounding pretty excited about it too - force digging, night vision, +1 to cover during night fighting... Sounds cool.  Dark Eldat had some dependancy / sync with night fighting too.  But now I'm being told all of this stuff is... Just got turn 1?  When most of these armies are in reserves anyway?  Is that right?  Doesn't sound right to me, why would these highly specialized armies wait for dawn to attack,it's even in the army name... but I can't find a FAQ clarifying this... Can anyone speak more to night fighting or proper use of night Lords?

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Night Lords at night
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:58:28 AM »
No, that's right.  That's why Night Fighting and things interacting with it are garbage.  It's another rule that most players I've met just don't care about in a casual game.  In a competitive game it could make a difference, but casual, it's just a waste of time.

Offline Noctifer

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 11:07:27 AM »
Damn.. was hoping I was missing something. Hmm so are Night Lords worth playing still?  They do still get infiltrate and such..  Their only detachment aside from war band is the raptor one which is a tad pricey and highly unreliable (cause deep strike just is).. but they do get the -2LD that adds up to -2LD from that detachment on the charge, and can be pushed lower if Heldrake detachment is near.. if I could get a rhino with a dirge caster close by turn 2 when they come in then overwatch could go away too.. seems risky, has anyone tried using this stuff to success?  Or otherwise made good use of them?

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 02:36:50 PM »
You're a bit too caught up on these extra bonuses.  Most of the Legion rules are fluffy and fun, not competitive.  You run Night Lords because you want to run Night Lords, not because you think they'll win games for being Night Lords.  It opens up a handful of options though and one of the biggest is taking Raptors as Troops in a CAD.  You can take units of Meltacide Raptors with Obj Sec, freeing up the FA slot for nothing but Bikes and Heldrakes go in a seperate Formation.  You can make a legitimately fast army.  If you want more Deep Strike, then yeah, you need a Fortification to help fix your Reserve Rolls, but oh well.  You have points to spare by not taking tax units.  You can make it really interesting and unique on casual tables, but Night Lords won't have a place on a competitive table without a damn good player in control.

Offline Noctifer

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 06:07:15 AM »
Mmm good point, I am overthinking this it seems, I'll mix and match a bit more casually and see what happens.  Only going to get a few more games in before 8E comes out anyway, seems like its starting its preemptive roll out for the eldar already.