Author Topic: Daemon Prince powers, summoning chains, and general overwatch removal  (Read 520 times)

Offline Noctifer

• Initiate
    • View Profile
I apologise if this has been asked, after numerous attempts I couldn't find the proper search terms for this..

(1) Daemon Prince's.  There's psychic powers in the chaos book, traitor legions, and daemon codex.  Which version do they actually have access to if the daemon is chaos marine?

(2) One of the summoning powers lets you summon  harelds, who can get psy.  If I'm reading that right, the harelds auto gets the primaries... Does the roll from their psi level have to be in their God or can it also be on summoning powers?

(3) What all drops overwatch (consistently, not pinning, I don't think anyone ever really gets pinned that I've seen).  There's daemon codex Slaanesh acquiescence, telepathy Dominate, vehicle dirge casters, Masque character dance, banshee mask wargear... What else? (Including potential chaos allies)

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Daemon Prince powers, summoning chains, and general overwatch removal
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 05:39:50 PM »
If the Prince comes from CSM, it only interacts with CSM rules.  You don't even glance at the Daemon Codex for a CSM model.  But, you do get Daemonology from the core rules and the new powers from Traitor Legions.  Traitor Legions also has new powers for the gods, so if you have that book available, you should use those for the dedicated god powers.

I'm not intimately familiar with the Daemon Codex so I may have missed something somewhere in it, but I don't see anything that lets you take a free Primaris.  You usually don't get them unless you roll all of your powers on that table.  Daemons can never do that since they 'may roll up to half of their powers on the corresponding chart' for the God powers.  I suppose that if you have ML1, half of one is one after rounding up so yes, you can take your roll and Primaris no problem, but other than that example, they would roll their one power and can choose to replace it with the primaries via core rules for generating powers.  Because Daemons is an old Codex though, they do have access to summoning Daemonology out of the core rulebook.

I don't have a big list of things but a common trick is charging two units in.  Charge first with a worthless unit, or even a single model unit.  The enemy gets one single Overwatch, and no Overwatch if they are in active combat.  So either they shoot and maybe kill the one guy, leaving your actual important unit free to charge without worries, or they might be engaged with the one guy and your other unit can again charge in without worries.

Offline Noctifer

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Daemon Prince powers, summoning chains, and general overwatch removal
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:44:53 PM »
Damn, too bad about the Daemon Prince.  Oh well.  The free primaries is actually from the core book, not the codexes.  I need to look it up again (just reread it last night), think it was from psychic phase stuff maybe, discussing daemons of various gods. 

For daemons, it's 'may'?  Woo didn't see that, I was think with marks I think where it said 'must'.  May is much nicer, it's not a must l.  Cool.  I don't remember seeing summoning in the core daemon book, is daemonic incursions the book?   I'll look for it. 

For charging.. maybe I've just been fighting too many Eldar but I'm not seeing lots of troops reaching the front lines outside of dedicated transports, those million scatter lasers year through everything.  That's why I was looking for alternatives that have better survivability than cheap cultists, who may get to the front and enable something to charge..  mmm.. if nothing else to disable overwatch, anything else to help these cheap throwaway trips reach the front lines at the same time as the real assault troops?