Author Topic: 500pt Space Marine List, I need help.  (Read 296 times)

Offline Faid_Artur

• Initiate
    • View Profile
500pt Space Marine List, I need help.
« on: March 06, 2017, 01:22:51 PM »
I have just made the initiation into the grimdark. I want start off small, collecting 500pts or so. Enough to play, but not bust my budget. Now, from personal preference, and the lore I made for my chapter, I don't have Tactical Squads. Interesting to be sure.
My list.

HQ
Librarian
Storm Bolter
70 Points
Troop 1
6 Man Scout Squad
All Cammo, of course
5 snipes
1 Missile Launcher
98 Points
Troop 2
5 Scout Squad
All Cammo
4 snipes
1 Missile Launcher
84 points
Heavy Support
5 Devastator Squad
2 Heavy Bolters
1 Plasma Cannon
1 Lascannon
125 points
Vehicle
Stormtalon Gunship
Skyhammer Missile
115 points
Total = 492

Now, I can see a very glaring problem. Sustainability for objective occupation. I can generate a lot of dakka with the Dev and Stormtalon, and my scouts can dish out a lot of fun, but when it comes to taking a forward position I could be wiped by a good assault. Not to mention deep strike attacks. Moreover, even with all the dakka, I just don't know if I can actually break a blob unit (like Tyranids). Am I taking this all wrong?
I have thought about dropping a scout squad for a bike squad and add a bike to the Lib, would that work?

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: 500pt Space Marine List, I need help.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:30:52 PM »
The game doesn't work at 500pts very well.  It's just not where 40k can really be 40k yet, so glaring problems are going to just happen.  If you want to have a Battleforged army, you have to have an HQ and two Troops, so dropping a Scout squad puts you in Unbound territory and frankly, that's not a good start to the game.  Unbound is just models, but Battleforged is a coherent army and people prefer to play against Battleforged.  If you want Bikes, and Bikes are a very good choice, then bump up to 750pts and you can go from there instead of going Unbound.

So, a problem you have made and a lot of people starting out make, is that you've mixed weapons.  This is a general mistake because each gun has a role, and making the squad split roles means that half of the guys can't do their job.  So when you're shooting a tank with your Devs and let's say it's AV12, you physically can not roll a 7 to even make a glancing hit to that armor.  Let's say you fire at a blob of Nids with that same squad, you have half as many shots as you want to shoot because of a Lascannon and Plasma.  Each squad needs to have a specific role and be built for that role only.  This is also why I don't put Missiles in a Scout squad, but it's more fine as long as you are just adding the missile to the same target the snipers are shooting at.

Drop the Storm Bolter on the Librarian.  You're removing his pistol and that removes an extra attack in Assault.  You don't want to do that.  He needs two CCWs and a pistol is one of them.  It's far more important than an extra shot of S4 AP5.  I'm assuming he's in with the Devestators, so I see what the plan was, but it's not worth the loss of an Attack.

Have you thought about Chapter Tactics yet?  White Scars might benefit you the most as you go forward if you're looking at Bikes.  Not liking Tacticals means Ultramarines and Imperial Fists are basically out, as well as the strong Formations like Demi-Company.  You're going to have to pick a Chapter Tactic that gives alternate ways of building Space Marines easily.  You still can make a custom Chapter no problem, but their table rules do need to decided from the set lists.

Offline Faid_Artur

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:09:11 AM »
Thank you.

Online Celerior

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 04:56:24 AM »
At 500 points, I'd do something like this:

Librarian
Scout squad, land speeder storm
Scout squad, land speeder storm with multimelta
Stormtalon
Thunderfire cannon? Devestator squad?

There's a lot of tactical flexibility there. You can keep your scout squads off the board or hiding out for the first few turns, and then zip out and grab objectives at the end. You can blitz turn 1 with a lot of bolter fire. This list does lack a lot of anti-tank, but I figure that's what the stormtalon and land speeder storm are for. Plus, how many tanks do you expect to face at 500 points? They're growing less common as far as I can tell. A thunderfire effectively gives your librarian toughness 7.

Imperial fist tactics may come in handy with all those scout bolters and devestators. White scars can also be hilarious - your opponent finally crosses the board and gets to your thunderfire cannon... only for your 2+ save to hold them off, and then you hit and run out.

I find bolter scouts in storms to be amaaazing. For one armor point, you get a 20% discount on a space marine, plus you get scout and infiltrate. And a vehicle superior to a rhino. Scout snipers underwhelm me. 5 sniper rifles just don't generate that much dakka, and the number of targets that they're optimized against is rather limited.