Author Topic: What units are must ahves, And what units should be avoided..?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Merellin

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
What units are must ahves, And what units should be avoided..?
« on: September 02, 2016, 05:06:05 AM »
So, I'm wanting to build up a Ork army and I'm trying to figure out what I need.. So far, I actualy have a lot of models, but I need more Ork Boyz I think.. I have a little bit of many things..

I have
Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun on Bike
10 Stormboyz
Painboy
10 Burna Boyz
14 Nobz
15 Big Gun Orks (Not sure about these, One looks like a official Loota,2 looks like Big Shootas, And the rest have various largeish guns from assault cannons to shootas with Rokkits on the side.. Including one MultiMelta, One regular sized flamer And a storm bolter)
44 Slugga Choppa Boyz
2 Runtherds and 16 Gretchin
Ork Flyer
3 Warbosses
Weirdboy
6 Kommandos (5 metal, 1 plastic, That is larger and might be a custom Snikrot)
5 Flash Gitz
6 Killa Kans
Morkanaut

And I'm wondering what to add to it to make a good playable list..

Offline Ragimund

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: What units are must ahves, And what units should be avoided..?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:08:56 AM »
Personally I like tankbustas and their glory hogs rule. Usually I run 12 of them in a truck with a nob with powerklaw and bosspole.

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
  • Shoot da choppy ones and chop da shooty ones!
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 07:33:11 AM »
So, I'm wanting to build up a Ork army and I'm trying to figure out what I need.. So far, I actualy have a lot of models, but I need more Ork Boyz I think.. I have a little bit of many things..

I have
10 Stormboyz
Painboy
10 Burna Boyz
14 Nobz
15 Big Gun Orks (Not sure about these, One looks like a official Loota,2 looks like Big Shootas, And the rest have various largeish guns from assault cannons to shootas with Rokkits on the side.. Including one MultiMelta, One regular sized flamer And a storm bolter)
44 Slugga Choppa Boyz
Ork Flyer
3 Warbosses
Weirdboy
5 Flash Gitz
6 Killa Kans
Morkanaut

Well, Orks aren't exactly plug and play but it looks like a reasonable start there. 
You can use most all of that in a list to see what you like.
Ork mobs start at 10 and cap at 30. a mob can have 1 Special weapon for each 10 models in the mob. and a single nob.
So you could divide that 44 Orks out a bit.
Killa Kans aren't very strong but will work well-ish with the Morkanaut. Give it the KFF. and keep them in range. Pack the Morkanaut with some butna boys,3 of which should be Meks to fix it s it goes. WARNING! it can be onshotted by low ap weapons so be mindful of where you deploy it and remember to set up a screen so nothing much will easily be able to both land near/behind it and not with in close melta range. A typical  problem in games.
Flyers are ok. Dakka Jets will give you good manuver to hard to reach or see targets. Bombers are (hit or miss) well I like Blitz bombers best myself.
Grot mobs! there you go! your objective grabbers and Morkanaut screen! Split that into two units if you like. it's a unit no one is overly excited to shoot at. Just have some of them trail the Morkanaut or stand in front of a unit of Orks or Nobs to provide a moving cover save.
Storm boys - I like lots and lots of those when I use them. Always need lots of them. The can move 12 "booster run" 2D6 and assault when Da WAAAGH is called. Weirdboys good - ish. Just to have a phase interaction.
I haven't ever used flashgitz,

Basically you have the makings of an MSU army.
I think this can be set up and played repeatedly and win a few games. And be entertaining. 
Best of luck.
Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop!
WAAAAAAAAGH! Dakka Dakka Dakka!
http://warhead01.blogspot.com/

Offline Merellin

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 04:00:31 AM »
I'm looking forwards to trying the Orks ^_^ For the Boyz, Should I run blobs on foot? Or small groups in Trukks? Should I give them armour and a nob and special weapon, Or run them bare?

Offline OzzieWarboss

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 08:51:48 AM »
I generally run 3 large mobs on foot and a unit of ard boyz in a truck. Always add a nob, powerklaw if you got the points, and special weapons.

Also look at warbikers; fast and shooty, they've proven their worth to me quite a few times, deffkoptas are the same, give them rokkit launchas and outflank them behind your opponents gun line.

Shokk attack gun, best gun in the game (at least the most fun), always attach a squad to it since it will attract a lot of fire

units to stay away from are the warbuggies, I honestly can't say I've ever seen anyone run them, and the models themselves aren't that good

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
The morkanaut is an absolutely devastating unit that carries some serious weapons and can transport a nice handful of nobz.
  • Orks, Space Marines
On a WAAAAGGHHHHH since 1999.

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 07:44:14 PM »

I have
10 Stormboyz
Painboy
10 Burna Boyz
14 Nobz
44 Slugga Choppa Boyz
Ork Flyer
3 Warbosses
Weirdboy
5 Flash Gitz
6 Killa Kans
Morkanaut

Roll out a fully painted Stompa. Your enemy will either throw so much at it in the first few turns you can attack a lot of stuff, or they will mostly ignore it and it can pour ungodly amounts of templates and big shootas everywhere.

Or you can rip apart stuff in melee.

Pro tip: The supa-rokkits are outstanding for sniping problematic units, such as picking off a retreating HQ at 1 wound.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:48:05 PM by BorntobeMild »
  • Orks, Space Marines
On a WAAAAGGHHHHH since 1999.