Author Topic: Terminator Lords  (Read 389 times)

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
Terminator Lords
« on: March 08, 2017, 02:49:12 AM »
Alright folks,

Chaos Lords in Terminator Armour.  How do you normally equip them and how to do you use them tactically?  I was looking over the Chaos Lord's options and was thinking that a Chaos Lord pays a lot of points to get that sweet, sweet 2+/5++ but it's difficult to justify any further upgrades after that.  For example, conventional Power Weapons, Combis, etc all get a points reduction when buying them for Terminator characters as they're replacing an existing Power Weapon/Combi.  However, if you want your Lord to have that resiliency from their saves you still have to pay full points on extras like the Sigil of Corruption for a 4++ or your Chaos Artefacts (eg: Murder Swords).

Subsequently, it doesn't seem very efficient for the points to give your Chaos Lord any of that fancy, super-nice stuff because he's having to give his right arm to get it.  Subsquently I was wondering how folks actually use their Terminator Lords because I see a lot of pictures of conversions, paint jobs and other cool creative bits being posted around here and other sites.  Most of them have the lord equipped with just simple Power/Chain Fist and Lightning Claw.

I'm assuming that's pretty common and wondered if anyone used anything different on the setup and how you use that or other loadouts, what units/transports you run them with, etc.

I realise with some irony the length of time I've been playing Chaos but I tend to run Sorcerers or Daemon Princes instead of Lords so this is surprisingly new to me.
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Terminator Lords
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 03:41:42 AM »
Burning Brand and Lightning Claw and a squad of Combi-Plasma nukes an enemy Elite unit pretty nicely.  I play CSM very fluffy, in the sense that I sacrifice folks left and right to get my goal accomplished, so my Lord is a big Deep Striking Distraction Carnifex and because I'm ridiculously blessed by the Scatter Dice, they go right where I want them 9 times out of 10.  If my opponent doesn't deal with five Terminators with MoS or MoN right away, they lose whoever the Lord doesn't like and if they do, I'm sending Rhinos and limping Land Raiders into Objectives and getting points.  Terminators can still strike some fear in folks, so I use them to do just that.  I've never run them as my Warlord though.  That space is for Huron Blackheart, but Huron always has a powerful underling as his personal Champion.

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »
You think it's worth spending on the burning brand rather than taking the discounted combi-weapons?

What about stuff like the Axe of Blind Fury?

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 03:13:58 PM »
All of the other CSM Relics are pretty meh.  Overcosted for not a lot of gain.  Only the Brand stands out as something to give the foot soldiers and only the Mace goes on Daemon Princes.  I've been consistently underwhelmed by everything else.  If you're hurting on points, by all means, but having a Brand also threatens Cover Save models like Bikes and other Stealth/Shrouded models in a way a Combi just doesn't.

Offline tomjashroom

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 05:15:36 PM »
I use terminator anhilation force. Free termi armor, Chain Fist, Lightning claw Mark of Khorne, Skull of Kerngar or Eye of night depending on what im feeling like using on that day.

Offline Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »
I do like the annihilation force, I should maybe think about combined formations.  I keep getting fixated on using CADs with other formations or the decurion with the warband.  Trouble is they often end up forced to spend points on stuff I don't necessarily really want.