Author Topic: 1000 Point Iron Warriors List  (Read 397 times)

Offline TheHiveKing

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
1000 Point Iron Warriors List
« on: March 13, 2017, 12:58:41 AM »
so, i just started collecting chaos and i thought it would be best to start with 1000 points and later expand 1500 and then 2000. here is the list:

CAD
HQ
Chaos lord with Power Sword, plasma pistol and Cranium malevolus 125 pts
Troops
3 obliterators 210 pts
3 obliterators 210 pts
10 Chaos marines Aspiring champion with power axe and combi melta, 1 flamer and 1 lascannon and rhino 225 pts
Hellcult formation
Hellbrute with multi melta and powerfist 100 pts
10 cultists 1 with flamer 55 pts
10 cultists 8 with autoguns 1 heavy stubber champion with shot gun 65 points
Total 990 points
The idea is pretty simple. I have the obliterators for taking out tanks especially since they have tank hunter and they also have objective secured. they will be hard to kill since they have the 2+ save and 6+ FNP.  I am not 100% how to equip the squad of  chaos marines. i might change it to 1 plasma gun and a rocket launcher, but im not sure. What do you guys think i could do to make it better?
  • Tyranids, Genestealer Cult and Chaos

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: 1000 Point Iron Warriors List
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 02:03:22 AM »
Don't put all your faith in Obliterators.  They will die almost immediately to S8 AP2 or better weapons, relying only on that 5++ invulnerable save for being a Daemon.  A Lascannon for instance, or a whole mess of other heavy weapons that aren't unusual in 1000pt games.  They are good units, but just don't oversell yourself on their abilities.

So right off the bat, there's issues here and there.  Your Lord has no Invul.  This is a necessity for any Warlord model and needs to be fixed right away.  You might even just take a Warpsmith since that is the more fluffy option and you're not really doing anything special with that Lord.  There are pluses and minuses to either choice, so I'd go with what you want to do above all else.  Then there's no place to put him.  Are you going to walk a Lord up on some Obliterators?  Why?  If something gets close enough to charge Oblits, something went seriously wrong with your deployment and one Lord isn't going to help.  If you want to put him in the Rhino, then you have too many people in a Rhino and need to come up with something new.

Your Marine squad has fallen to the same issue as many other starter squads.  It has no role.  You don't mix weapons on a unit like this if you don't have to.  If you fire that Flamer, what good is a Lascannon?  If you fire that Lascannon at a tank, are you actually expecting to be in range for the flamer and the Bolters to do something?  Special weapons are meant to compliment one another, and CSM can even take two of the same.  But honestly, this unit is going to be pretty useless either way, so don't invest in them.  You'd be better off with Havocs and taking as many Special Weapons as you like, as long as you like four or less.  The basic dude in Iron Warriors is not where Iron Warriors are strongest but Havocs make a great alternative that most other Legions don't or can't utilize as well.

I hate Helbrutes but the Helcult is the best way to use bad models in my opinion.  I would try to swap that whole block out for Predators as soon as possible though.  Two Preds with Autocannon and Lascannons would benefit from a Warpsmith nicely too.

Offline TheHiveKing

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
Don't put all your faith in Obliterators.  They will die almost immediately to S8 AP2 or better weapons, relying only on that 5++ invulnerable save for being a Daemon.  A Lascannon for instance, or a whole mess of other heavy weapons that aren't unusual in 1000pt games.  They are good units, but just don't oversell yourself on their abilities.

So right off the bat, there's issues here and there.  Your Lord has no Invul.  This is a necessity for any Warlord model and needs to be fixed right away.  You might even just take a Warpsmith since that is the more fluffy option and you're not really doing anything special with that Lord.  There are pluses and minuses to either choice, so I'd go with what you want to do above all else.  Then there's no place to put him.  Are you going to walk a Lord up on some Obliterators?  Why?  If something gets close enough to charge Oblits, something went seriously wrong with your deployment and one Lord isn't going to help.  If you want to put him in the Rhino, then you have too many people in a Rhino and need to come up with something new.

Your Marine squad has fallen to the same issue as many other starter squads.  It has no role.  You don't mix weapons on a unit like this if you don't have to.  If you fire that Flamer, what good is a Lascannon?  If you fire that Lascannon at a tank, are you actually expecting to be in range for the flamer and the Bolters to do something?  Special weapons are meant to compliment one another, and CSM can even take two of the same.  But honestly, this unit is going to be pretty useless either way, so don't invest in them.  You'd be better off with Havocs and taking as many Special Weapons as you like, as long as you like four or less.  The basic dude in Iron Warriors is not where Iron Warriors are strongest but Havocs make a great alternative that most other Legions don't or can't utilize as well.

I hate Helbrutes but the Helcult is the best way to use bad models in my opinion.  I would try to swap that whole block out for Predators as soon as possible though.  Two Preds with Autocannon and Lascannons would benefit from a Warpsmith nicely too.
  Should i run less obliterators then?
  • Tyranids, Genestealer Cult and Chaos

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:13:42 AM »
Not at all.  What you want to do as you move forward is have sufficient threat saturation.  Make it so that yeah, your opponent can kill a ridiculously expensive model with one shot, but for every shot they put there, they're not shooting at X, Y and Z who will also wreck their day.  You want them to panic and try to shoot everything because it's all scary.  Threat saturation at 1k isn't really easy, which is why I'd drop the Helcult for some scary stuff and get started on that idea early.  Maulerfiends, Forgefiends and old fashioned tanks all make for great Distraction Carnifexes.

Online Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:37:41 AM »
Not at all.  What you want to do as you move forward is have sufficient threat saturation.  Make it so that yeah, your opponent can kill a ridiculously expensive model with one shot, but for every shot they put there, they're not shooting at X, Y and Z who will also wreck their day.  You want them to panic and try to shoot everything because it's all scary.  Threat saturation at 1k isn't really easy, which is why I'd drop the Helcult for some scary stuff and get started on that idea early.  Maulerfiends, Forgefiends and old fashioned tanks all make for great Distraction Carnifexes.

It depends what you want a unit to do.  Units that aren't very killy can still be used as distractions or to leverage sheer number of dice.  I like to run the Helcult against people dropping massed short-range firepower.  Those unbreakable cultists are great at locking those shooting units in combat and sure, you're not going to expect them to win, but if they're not going to break after losing combat, if you have sufficient mass of them, you've taken that shooty unit out of the game unless your opponent does something about it.  Wraithguard are a classic example, they can't point all those instant-death D-Weapons at your obliterators if they're stuck in melee all game crushing maybe 4-6 cultists per turn.  If you're fielding cultists in squads of 20+ for only around 100pts, that's still a net-gain in points worth of firepower you've denied your opponent.  The tarpit mob is an age old, tried and tested 40k tactic.

Just because a unit is not screaming "KILL! MAIM! BURN!" at your opponent every turn does not mean it doesn't have a purpose and just because an enemy unit isn't dead does not mean it hasn't been neutralised.  ;)
  • Chaos Space Marines, Astra Militarum, Eldar, Space Marines
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.