Author Topic: Centurions?  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Slartibartfast

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Centurions?
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:54:48 AM »
Thinking over something Dirty Harry posted - hmmm....Centurions?

Rocking in at 160 points for three, base (per the rumors), what are they good for?  No invul save means they're even MORE vulnerable to plasma than terminators - yeech; so will need an extra layer of protection.  The assault variety have some impressive stuff - dual assault drills striking at initiative and giving three attacks base.  The shooting variety have the capability of tearing whole units apart, but only at 18" and less (with grav weapons).

They seem like a very specialized option to me.  Will need to be in cover, or more likely to take a Landraider as their dedicated transport.  Now you're talking 455 points base.  What?

I could see playing them in a very tailored list, but how do they compete against something as simple as a Vindicator or Thunder Fire cannon for a take all comers list?  I don't see them being used.

Any thoughts?

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
Re: Centurions?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 05:03:39 AM »
ya know I thought about it and the only way I could really justify putting them to use is either at the back end of the table taking pot shots behind an aegis defense line, or in a land raider. Keep in mind they are very bulky so each counts as 3 models, and after upgrades they're more expensive to stick in a land raider than Terminators. The problem with them is that with all the dakka in the meta, they have no real lasting power by themselves. Bikes have a cover save and can close the gap quick. Crusader squads can have a high body count. Assault marines, much like bikes can close the gap quick, but can also leap frog from cover to cover. It seems like Centurions you have to coddle, and hold their hand like a kid crossing a street just so they can do a job. At least terminators can deep strike, and they have an invulnerable save.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 08:24:25 AM »
Too true.  I listened to the guys on 40K Radio, and their take was that the only use for them would be to put them in cover in your deployment zone to act as a body guard unit.  Anything that drop pods or deep strikes within 24" of them is going to have to endure a round of devastating firepower - if they don't cut down your Centurions.  Can't think of how a drop pod full of Sternguard couldn't swat them first though.

Offline bladesteel

• Brother Captain
  • - "bladesteel translated into swedish, is my name"
    • View Profile
    • bladesteel
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:33:56 AM »
Maybe against things like the upcomming Tyranids theyll prove their worth? We dont know for sure what the new Tyranid codex will play out. Im guess theyll act much like the Eldars Wraithguard/Wraithblades, solidifying an advancing army or position. I guess time will tell...

Im planning to start a SM army soonish, and Im thinking of getting some centurions, to me they kind of looks like the starcraft 2 equivelant of a "marauder" which I think is pretty cool! (I know SC universe was pretty much based on WH40k)

Would be cool if there were things like Apothecarys in the SM codex (Tbh I have no clue, are apothecarys blood angels only?) Because then you could hand out some pretty sick FNP?
There is but one true purpose to why you have set your foot in this place mon'keigh and you have yet to discover it. We control far more than your puny little destinies -Farseer Avalshou of Vaul'Ahrys

Offline Col. Dracus

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Blog "Dracus Journal"
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 01:44:36 PM »
Well SM are battle brothers with Tau. What about putting a Tau Commander with the Devistators to give them Tank/Monster hunter, twin-linked, ignores cover and Night Vision? Sounds like a good investment for some Lascannons and Missile Launchers to me.
Playing 40k since 2000

Check out my Youtube Channel at
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dracus40k

Blog
http://dracusjournal.blogspot.com/

Offline nevertobespokenof

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 11:44:12 PM »
I am sure we will see lots of them on the tables.. but man they are expensive $$ wise.. Golly..

We shall see if they are really that good soon enough.
The one who is never spoken of is the one who should be feared.

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 02:10:14 PM »
I dont kno guys. 15 grav shots at 24 inches 30 if u move and rerolling wound is tremendous. They can kill any vehicle with pure volume of grav. And they can each sport a missle launcher that fires as well.. moving and firing thatuch heavy weapons is ridiculous. They need protection fine use termies wit storm shields in front of em. And blast the guy off the table. They rnt scoring and it takes a sternguard or termi equivalent to deal with em properly. j mean lets face it u caant deepstrike a 30man unit of any dakka to outflank em. So jus walkin forward with that firepower is enuff for me. I like em. They r like hidden potential units.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:52:31 AM »
I feel like Devastator Centurions can pay for themselves real easy if taken with Lysander. As mentioned in another thread Lysander gives the Centurions a 3+ invul, and the Centurions give Lysander T5 since they have the majority. Also consider that the bolter weapons will benefit from IF chapter tactics and just clean house on what ever you point them at. Stick them near a quad gun and watch Lysander peel apart a necron flyer like a croissant. I hate to use the words 'auto include' for anything. Now I must say that the Omniscope is an 'auto include'.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Skari

• Brother Captain
  • SkaredCast
    • View Profile
    • Main Channel Resource
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:55:42 PM »
Im looking forward to the centurion devs as an answer to riptides and wraithknights.
Support me on the Patreon Page:
http://patreon.com/skaredcast

make sure you check out my blog:
http://skaredcast.blogspot.com
youtube channel
http://youtube.com/skaredcast

Offline Slartibartfast

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 12:23:52 AM »
Im looking forward to the centurion devs as an answer to riptides and wraithknights.

How would you field them?  Behind an aegis line?  Or do you pick a likely piece of terrain and give it bolster defenses.

I'm assuming they sit still and shoot all game.

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 02:20:19 AM »
I have been hearing that these guys can put out massive amounts of shots..

i am starting to think they are going to become dangerous with these grav weapons. I really really believe grav weapons are going to become deadly.. I didn't realize until the other day that they are AP 2. That can be dangerous.

Mass fire at AP 2 and wounding against strong saves.. scary

Offline Khe-Loc

• Inquisitor Lord
  • Red goes faster .... and so does Saim-Hann
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 03:32:30 AM »
I have been hearing that these guys can put out massive amounts of shots..

i am starting to think they are going to become dangerous with these grav weapons. I really really believe grav weapons are going to become deadly.. I didn't realize until the other day that they are AP 2. That can be dangerous.

Mass fire at AP 2 and wounding against strong saves.. scary

Us Eldar players should be fine as long as MArines dont get some sort of crazy cover ignoring weapon that has low AP aswell.

They wont get something like that, right? Right?

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 03:39:55 AM »
Lysander gives these guys a 3++....?

Nice.

Khe I hope they didn't get ignore cover.. I really hope not.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 06:37:50 AM »
Legion of the damned balistic weapons come standard with ignore cover.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 07:35:29 AM »
Which is why I LOVE the Legion of the Damned.. I can't help but bring up a fluff question here.. II and XI LEGIONS = LEGION of the Damned? It would make sense to me.. I could never really figure out why else they were stuck in the Space Marine 'dex.
The Dance Without End Begins..