Author Topic: Tips for painting purple Ad-Mech?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Lakey Wargames Youtube Page
Tips for painting purple Ad-Mech?
« on: October 30, 2015, 05:54:18 AM »
Hey guys and girls, so I'm looking at building up an Ad-Mech force and I am just day-dreaming up ideas on how I should paint them. I've always wanted to do a dark and mysterious feel of an army and I believe dark-ish purples would achieve this. Combine this with the awesome models at the Ad-Mechs disposal and I think you could have quite a striking looking army.

Now before I go onto my ideas for painting them I will just say I am no master painter but a humble gamer who can paint to a decent table top standard only. That said with this army I am looking at improving my painting to that of a better display quality.

The idea:

1) Prime black

2) I plan on using a drybrush of Leadbelcher on the metalic areas. (Bodies, arms, legs etc)

3) Base all purple areas (Cloaks/hoods/tank plates) with Naggaroth Night.

4) Layer on purple areas with Xereus Purple.

5) Highlight the purple with Genestealer Purple.

6) Picking out the appropriate gun parts and detail with Balthasar Gold

7) Pick out the eyes green (Most likely using something bright like Moot Green)

In my head using these will give me the dark and twisted kind of look mixing in dark purples with the bronze/gold feel over the dark metals on the bodies. I've never painted with purple before but by looking on the GW site by using the purple in this order sounds like a solid foundation to me.

That said my lack of experience in this area has lead me here to where I hope to learn from the insights of those more experienced with a brush and paint pot than I. Hopefully everything is explained okay and is a decent enough basis to let you guys know of the direction I wish to head if anyone is willing to lead their aid and expertise. :)
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:
 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgqSruhp2yl2gyqhiTuSrEA

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
Re: Tips for painting purple Ad-Mech?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 04:55:44 PM »
I'm no competition painter but I'd recommend a wash (preferably purple) to go over the base before you add the layers. This will just add more shadows to the miniature in addition to the layer highlights. Also I'd have a look for a green glaze if GW has one for the eyes, might just be easier (apply it over white).

Finally I'd use reikland fleshshade to shade the low parts of the guns and gold.

Looking forward to seeing how this project goes.
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 06:01:55 PM »
I like where you're head is with the color theme of these ad mech. Purple and gold always work well together. Now do you plan on making these guys look clean or dirty? If you're going clean and simple, don't even bother with a wash. Just layer colors like you plan on it, though I'd dry brush before doing the purples. Reserve the golds for breaking up areas on the metallics just so they don't look too much like every purple space marine chapter out there. If you wanna make the models look rough, I recommend starting your purple with Xerxes and using agrax earthshade. I've noticed this wash has a very very subtle purple in it and if used right can add some definition to your purple robes. go over the raised edges with xerxes and then hit the areas hit most by a light source with genestealer purple.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 02:39:59 AM »
Hey guys, thank you for both the input. It was a really big help! I'm about 90% completed on my first test model and I am super happy with it. I honestly believe it to be one of my best models yet! :)

For the purple areas I went with a base of Naggaroth Night followed by 2 thin layers of Xereus Purple to get a nice smooth coating. After this I used a controlled Druchii Violet wash over all the purple layered areas (Controlled to me meaning not to just chuck on any old how like I normally do with washes :') )before highlighting all the edges with Genestealer Purple.

The leadbelchers drybrush of all the metal area's has actually come out really well and now the purple is on their along with the greens and a couple of red details looks perfect contrast without having to do anything else to the model. :) I picked out a few areas on the chest plate, the gun and details on the backpacks with Balthasar Gold. It looked okay but and now I'm nearer the end like the leadbelcher its toned down looking more natural with the rest of the model. Though when finished I may add a very light layer of devlin mud wash over it to darken it down to more of that brass look.

As mentioned above I picked out a few diffirent areas for colour. The rad parts of the Vanguard guns, a cable or two and a light on the back back are in green. (Orkhide shade - Knarloc green - Thraka Green (wash) - Goblin green (Highlight) and these came out really well breaking away from the dark purples and metal.

The only other parts are a red light of two on the backpack (front and back) and a purity seal that is in the classic red stamp and white materiel.

I will post some pictures when I am done. If others like the way it has come out I may even do a step by step with pictures to show how it all came together. Again thank you so much for the help guys I really love it! It also only took a couple of hours to get this far so aswell as looking effective was pretty quick to do. :) 
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 10:00:02 AM »
So here's a picture of my test painted model. The Skull on the chest and base still needs doing but this gives you a rough idea of what I am trying to achieve. The picture is only from my phone so sorry for the poor quality.

This isn't supposed to be the best it can be when looked close up at super detail but something that looks great from the table top perspective and not the worst when you look closer. So with that said and in mind C&Cs welcome. ;) :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
Looks good. Touch up the metals with a bit of chainmail silver on some of the edges to break up some of the metals you didn't break up with the gold.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 05:02:41 AM »
Thanks Harry! :) I will certainly try that out.

Lakey Wargames Youtube: