Author Topic: Which magnets do i use??  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Thrasius

• Initiate
  • KRAKEN WILL PAY !!!
    • View Profile
Which magnets do i use??
« on: January 22, 2014, 04:54:51 AM »
Hi, Im looking to use magnets for the first time on a squad of Centurions to change weapons, there seems to be a lot of choice, which in your opinion's have the best strength also what size should I go for, thanks and any links on how to fit them would be great.

Offline Bowlzee

• Keeper of Secrets
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Slave to Slaanesh
    • View Profile
    • Slave To Slaanesh
Re: Which magnets do i use??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:42:56 AM »
I use rare earth magnets, excellent brand. You can find then on eBay. I use the 2mm and 3mm variants

Offline Thrasius

• Initiate
  • KRAKEN WILL PAY !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 07:50:17 AM »
Thanks Bowlzee i'll check that brand out.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:52:30 AM by Thrasius »

Offline DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:08:34 AM »
I go to K&J Magnetics. It was recommended to me by a much better modeler/painter. Get the N52 magnets. Bigger is stronger.
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline Thrasius

• Initiate
  • KRAKEN WILL PAY !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »
Thanks guys I will look at these brands, also i found this link if anyone else was struggling with centurions/magnets.

[ftphttp://www.40kforums.com/vb/content.php/373-Magnetising-Space-Marine-Centurions][/ftp]

Offline wbarker

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »
You can also check www.containerstore.com and search for Mighty Magnets. They are pricey at $12.00, but you get an entire card of at least 10. I haven't used all that I have.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 04:26:50 PM »
These are the magnets I use in all my work. (See below)

I bought these at a comic hobby store in a mall. They were being sold right next to some warmachine stuff, so any place that sells warmachine might sell these too. They're also relatively cheap, and you get a few dozen magnets in each pack (50 in the 1/8th size).

I've used these to magnetize weapons on tanks, to completely mod my forge/maulerfiend, to attach wings to my helldrake, to customize my hellbrutes and swap weapons for my chosen. I use them for everything.

Now I don't know what centuriens are, or how you'd want them magnetized, but these magnets I'm sure could help you out.

My only suggestion would be to invest in a tiny hand drill (also sold at the comic hobby) and make sure you get appropriate sized drills for the magnets you get. These magnets work best when drilled into the model then super glued in place.

My 40k: The Baleflamer Reigns Fire!: http://youtu.be/bif-dF3GjH0
My 40k: Waaaaghust! Magnets and Meganobs!: http://youtu.be/593xJx9Q3Uk

Just a couple vids I've made. It gives you an idea how I've used these magnets.

Offline worldeater_az

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My WIP Emperor's Children Army
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »
This is the brand I bought.  For the amount you get with this brand it's cheaper than what I saw on Ebay.  There are many different shapes and sizes depending on what you need them for.  You can only order these from Home Depot online but there is free shipping to your local store, just go pick them up.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magcraft-Rare-Earth-1-8-in-x-1-32-in-Disc-Magnets-150-Pack-NSN0592/204721290?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053