Author Topic: Rangers vs Vanguard (8th Edition)  (Read 1289 times)

Offline NoMoshing

• Initiate
  • Painting < Gaming
    • View Profile
Rangers vs Vanguard (8th Edition)
« on: September 30, 2017, 10:53:47 AM »
New edition, time for a new Rangers vs Vanguard debate! Yay!

I just started collecting AdMech a short while ago, and was wondering what everyone's thoughts on the basic Skitarii soldier was.

I'm looking forward to using Rangers as basically a point defense unit, getting them into cover and just wrecking enemy characters with the Arquebusiers. A 60", S7 AP -2 Dam D3 sniper rifle? Yes, please. It might even be the best sniper in the game that isn't a character.

As for Vanguards, their strength seems to be mobility. Assault 3 main weapons, bolstered by some Assault 2 plasma calivers, seems like what you want is for Vanguards to Advance all over the place, claiming objectives and exploiting weaknesses in the enemy.
Painted/Aseembled:
T'au Empire: 256/3152
Adeptus Mechanicus: 0/303
Seraphon: 0/612

Offline snarkninja

• Initiate
  • Without the past we cannot go into the future.
    • View Profile
Re: Rangers vs Vanguard (8th Edition)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 07:13:35 PM »
I have found the rangers sniper does less than other snipers against characters as many have invulnerable saves. I have found however that they do a fair bite out of t7 vehicles :).

Offline leE7_G4M3r

• Battle Brother
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 07:26:02 PM »
I honestly would say the rangers are better solely for the s4 guns. I hate s3, I find it very debilitating against almost all armies (barring eldar, genestealer cults, astra militarum). Otherwise, I find that they are both quite similar. A strat I would use is to use the Imperium key word to get some cheap transports to plop rangers on objectives, and have them be pests to the enemy the whole game, using some kastellan robots to back up your rangers when things aren't looking fantastic for them.
WAAAGH!

Offline NoMoshing

• Initiate
  • Painting < Gaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 01:17:18 PM »
I don't know if that would work for me (I'm planning a strategy based around the Stygies VIII abilities and strategems), but what transports would allow you to transport anything with an Imperium keyword?
Painted/Aseembled:
T'au Empire: 256/3152
Adeptus Mechanicus: 0/303
Seraphon: 0/612

Online Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:30:03 PM »
The bother have roles to play. Rangers give you good sniping, while Vanguard provide a nice weight of dice for shooting generally, an Mars mortal wound generation.