Author Topic: Who has Vassal?  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
Who has Vassal?
« on: April 17, 2014, 12:39:39 PM »
Might be worth having a sticky here so that people can see who has it. Also I have Vassal but I've never actually played a game using it so if there's anyone willing to walk me through setting up and playing a game on it that'd be great. :D

Offline PDzikus

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Who has Vassal?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »
I got it installed, I even got a wh40k module imported. I just have no idea how to use it. No even how to create an army list yet.

Offline FalleN

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:55:18 AM »
I'm actually in the same boat, I have it on my computer but have no idea how to use it or make lists and find opponents.
"Our time will come again, Eldrad has promised us. Once more you upstart Mon-keigh[spits] shall kneel before our power! This time we will not be so lenient!"

Offline Striker0079

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »
I've got it installed, still trying to figure out how to work it.
Eldar- Craftworld Glennis (4000pts)

Offline Ramses135

• Primarch
  • Scion of Ulthwé
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 01:46:50 AM »
Few years ago, I played heavily on Vassal (a module for Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures). It's not hard, you just have to realise, that Vassal won't do anything for you, except rolling dice.

I have not seen the WH40k module, but generally speaking, you have to:

1) load the map
2) reveal your rosters (in the chat, no other way, Vassal won't help you)
3) add the images of the units to the map (there should bea database with pictures, just drag them from the menu to the map)
4) play!

All communications go through the chat, so I advise you to use Skype or other form of voice communication (Ventrillo, TeamSpeak etc.) And, after that, same as in the real life:

Announce the start of turn. Move your units by simply dragging them around. Vassal has the option to show LoS either visible only to you, or to both you ad your opponent - so think about your turn, then announce shooting and show it. There's a button for rolling dice, use it. Apply results manually - remove the images of models killed, change HPs of vehicles by re-typing them etc.

Simple! But I believe it an be a bit too much at the start.

Have to try WH40k on Vassal one day as well  ::)
We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
  • Angels have two wings for a reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 06:35:48 AM »
I looked into vassal as well, I ran into the same problem as everyone else, loaded it up and then had no clue as to what to do.

Offline nusphigor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »
I just downloaded it :D
Who wants to play?

Offline nagg noil

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »
I am going to be running a narretive campaign over vassal starting in september. It will be using the rules for void combat in imperial Armor volume 9 and be centered around the Red Scorpions and The Sons of Malice two chapters who mistrust or hate everyone... PM me if You are interested in playing or even colaborating on the narrative. We will need multiple GMs because I'm not sitting this one out the whole time :P

Offline Striker0079

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 11:09:18 PM »
So after a bit of trial and error I find myself completely inept at getting Vassal to work for me.

If someone could post a tutorial on how to use it it would probably drum up a little more interest in it. I for one would love the chance to get in a game with the fellow players on here.
Eldar- Craftworld Glennis (4000pts)

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
  • Angels have two wings for a reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:36:22 PM »
well they just updated it to the 7ed mod which was done in java 8 and according to the forum they are attempting to get it done in a lower version of java, since i think a few people are having issues with java 8
after getting the vassal engine you need to get the vassal 40k mod, which can be found at http://z13.invisionfree.com/vassal40k/index.php?

after downloading and extracting the mod, you should have a folder labeled vassal40k6thbasic_ext and a file labeled vassal40k6thbasic.vmod which is the mod file and just double click in the module file, which should open up vassal and start the process of extracting all the files for the vassal engine, after that it should start up.

Offline JmB88

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »
Hey Guys, new member here. I have been using vassal on and off for a few years now. Much longer than I have been playing 40k. I would be willing to show you guys the ropes on the vassal 40k mod, in some smaller point battles if any one is interested. It is hard to find English speaking players, as well as players who don't run completely cheese lists because they don't have to actually own the models(i.e. 3 Riptides in a 1000 point Game or something of the like). While I am all for having a fun list, those kinds of builds don't really take advantage of what vassal really is. An ideal platform for testing and trying out new models and strategy, before making a purchase or taking it to the table top.

If you are interested you can email me or just reply on here, I'll be checking in.

With all that said.....

Praise the Emporah!

Offline eliahu77

• Initiate
  • the stars will provide no solace to the unworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 08:51:27 AM »
I've been playing Vassal for a while and it's pretty easy once you have it installed.  Run the 40K mod and open up the server controls.  Someone in there will probably be willing to teach you, but I agree that Skype or Google Hangout is a must while playing.  multiple screens is a big plus as well.

I'm up for a game sometime if you want to learn.
Eldar since always, patience has it's merits.