Author Topic: Painting Contest Completed Entries: The Judge's Table  (Read 3902 times)

Offline bladeiai

• Battle Brother
  • A corrupted soul
    • View Profile
    • The Chaos Box
Painting Contest Completed Entries: The Judge's Table
« on: June 26, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »
Pledging is now closed! Entries must be completed by July 10th!

Welcome one and all to the grand circus that shall become the The War Master Painting Pledge Contest Completed Entries Showcase!

This thread will list all completed entries along with their final showcase pictures and serve as the Judge's Table for ranking and critiques.

As you complete your entries please post your finished images in your own thread and clearly state that you have completed your model and are ready to be judged. If you do not see your entry posted in the Judge's Table with in 24 hours of posting your completed images please send me a PM and I will make sure to get it on here.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:28:17 AM by bladeiai »

Offline bladeiai

• Battle Brother
  • A corrupted soul
    • View Profile
    • The Chaos Box
Completed Entries Showcase:
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
Chaos_Inquisitor's Nurgle Terminator Sorceror - Completed 6/29

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  You managed to create a very Nurgley sorcerer in your entry. I thing you did an excellent job with the overall look of the model I enjoy the "feel" of your entry. I would have liked to have seen a little more highlighting with tones that have a little more color. While Nurgle tends to be drab in it's colors, I still think you can get away with a few lighter more colorful tones and really make it pop. On the scenic bases like this you might want to try running a bead of superglue around the edge of the plastic pieces (and maybe even hit it with some liquid green stuff) to seal it down and help with that "floating" look you can get when you paint go to paint. Overall you did a great job executing your entry and I'm sure he will make a great HQ for your army!

Fritz40K:  Truly a champion of Nurgle! Love the Huron hand swap and the effects on the cape. The head of the model also does a nice job of framing that Nurgle look- pale, drawn and dark. Perfect terminator lord to lead the Death Guard charge.

Hawkeye299:  A great model very nicely painted and looks very nurgle like, I especially like the work on the base, the sorcerer standing out in the middle of the pool of sludge makes him look very impressive.

xAngelicZ: I know you had a lot of trouble with this model, which really just makes the end result even better, that custom backpack is absolutely perfect, the colours work so well together and I can't get passed the blood on that cape. The conversion using Huron's claw was a brilliant idea and I think it's an all around great model. I would have liked to see more highlights on the armour, I know dull, worn and weathered is what you want for Nurgle/Death Guard/Chaos in general, but I feel like it would have added just that little bit more awesomeness to the overall effect. Still, awesome work!

Nebuchadnezzar's Karandras the Shadow Hunter - Completed 6/30

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  I really love the basing work you did on this guy, I think it really brings him to life and ties everything together. It looks like you might need to thin your paints down as there seems to be quite a lot of texture. I also would have liked to have seen a little more shading on the armor as it seems to go from black to brighter green, but it still has a nice effect to it. Your gems look really good but also look like they could benefit from a good coat of high gloss. I love what you did with the blood and gore. Again I love the base and I think this model has a great look and really feels imposing with the blood and atmosphere it creates!

Fritz40K:  A classic model capturing the Eldar in a classic way. Love the use of brass and tin metallic and the very subtle green shading on the ridges of the armor. The basing also does justice to such an imposing model- literally looking like it was ripped from the battlefield- love the buildup of rocks, dirt, and the Eldar runestone.

Hawkeye299: Karandras looks great here, nice highlights all round and the effort put in is clear, the blood effects are my favourite by far, especially on the skull overall it looks great.

xAngelicZ: I really do love the work you did here, especially with the blood, for me it just brings Karandras to life. The colours and highlights i'd say are basically perfect, they COULD have been cleaner, but I don't think it would really make any more than a slight difference. The base.. Man this base.. I love the base.. It's simple.. But that's why I like it so much, it's that sort of crowning feature, it finished the model so well and that's what I think a base should do. Love it.

Bjarki's Tau Cadre Fireblade - Completed 7/1

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  I really like your color choices overall and think that blues and greens are very well complimented by golds and bronzes. I also like what you did with the base, and I really think it adds to the model tremendously. I would have liked to see more colors used on the main theme and (maybe something that would be more of an earth tone) if you add in another color it will help to break up the armor and really bring out the detail. Also if you go with a more contrasting color on the cloak it might liven up the model some more. Great job on the highlights and shadowing and a really good job overall!

Fritz40K:  Wonderful contrast of the blue with the highlighting and picking out of the tiny details on the armor. Really shows the cleanness of the model and makes me want to pick it up and take in all the details.

Hawkeye299: A nice looking model, blue is solid and well done and the wash adds the shading well and the bronze works well as a secondary colour and helps break up the model well.

xAngelicZ: Ahh this fireblade.. I remember thinking when I first saw it that it was a really solid, simple model. The colours complement each other well, there's just enough of that Gold to make it really POP on the model and I think that works very well. The finer details on the armour stand out well too, especially where you've used only blues. If I was to ask for anything more... I'd have to say more highlights? Moreso on that cloak than anything. Heck, probably two or three stage highlights.. and I realise that isn't exactly a simple ask, but I really don't see anything more you could improve.

MrSalamander's Entry Eldar Farseer - Completed 7/2

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  This painting on this model is simply amazing, from the color choices to the technical skills and artistic choices. Beautifully executed all around. To anyone reading this that hasn't already seen it, be sure to check out his thread for the close up work in progress shots, they are amazing and show some of the detail better than this images. I love the color, love the base, lightning levitation effect and the technique and blending/layering is spot on. The only suggestion I would offer is that it might have added to the effect if you had cut his feet and modified them to look as though they were not under weight and flat like he was standing on a level surface. Again you have really created an amazing model all around and I can't wait to see what you come up with next time!

Fritz40K:  Wonderful contrast of the blue with the highlighting and picking out of the tiny details on the armor. Really shows the cleanness of the model and makes me want to pick it up and take in all the details.

Hawkeye299:  My oh my what a fantastic model, truely great work on this farseer, the painting is fantastic and the custom pose really makes him come alive as a figure, the warp energy coming from his hand and feed is an amazing idea the colours used are perfect in my opinion and the overall job is just simply staggering and that singing spear is amazing!

xAngelicZ: Oh I don't even know where to start with this model... Words fail me here.. The conversion, the colours, the blending, the highlights, the base.. just everything.. the entire model is absolutely amazing.. I cannot find a single little detail I dislike about this model. I realise it's not exactly constructive feedback.. but you just did SUCH a good job.. Just wow..

Chmmr_X's Asurmen - Completed 7/2

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  I like your color scheme and I think the blues and whites do a great job of contrasting each other and making the little details pop out. It looks like you might want to try thinning out your paint a bit more, white is an especially hard color to work with (especially GW's white) as it tends to clump up very easily. The best way I have found to approach it is multiple thinned down coats. Another thing I would strongly recommend is doing something with the base. It can add a tremendous amount of character to a model when you give it a visually interesting base, and it creates a "mood" to view the model in and brings it to life. Your gems look great and might benefit some from a little super high gloss clear if you can find some. The shading and shadowing on the cloak and armor are also really nice. Great job on the model!

Hawkeye299: Asurman is looking good here the colours are clean and sharp and the highlights on the blue and cream are well done and contrast well, a great job.

xAngelicZ: Ahh, another victim of GW's famous White paint.. I know the pain of trying to get a smooth coat of this stuff all to well.. I'll agree with blade, thin it out before you use it, and remember the less layers you do, the thicker they have to be, so take your time, even if you have to do 40,000 layers of white! I find Lahmian Medium from the GW Range works perfectly for this. Basing! Oh basing! I am guilty here too! I have not based any of my models to date and I agree that having that base just.. adds something that seems to bind the overall affect of the model, it brings everything together, even if it's as simple as grass and stones. Still, fantastic work, the colours complement each other very nicely and I am certainly pleased with this rendition of our Master of Phoenix's!

deadmanonfire's Deff Dread - Completed 7/2

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  Having seen some of your work before the contest I was expecting that you would set the bar rather high, and you did not disappoint. Your entry really is a fantastic looking model, and you did a great job on the paint. You did a good job on the basing as well and it really adds to the overall look. The detail on the face is amazing and the weathering adds greatly to the effect of the model. There are only a few things I would suggest to make this amazing model look even better(and even those may be subjective views...). I would have liked to see a little more color variation as it is very yellow and a secondary color would have broken the model up some, and as Orks are largely made from piles of junk, the color variation would have lended to the fluff a bit I think. Also the weathering is very nice but I would have liked to seen a little more bare un-rusted metal here and there around the edges of pannels. The final thing is the wires  look a little "clean" compared to the rest of the model. Again non of these are complaints, but suggestions and I'm sure you already know that your entry looks simply amazing. I hope you will enter again in the future as I always love to see your work.

Fritz40K:  Loving the rust effects and how imposing this model looks- it looks like itís about to pounce right off the base as it hypnotizes you with its Ork bionik eye. Street basing with the road stripe frames it perfectly. Makes me want to start Orks.  Amazing!

Hawkeye299:  I love my orks and this one will make gork and mork proud! I will start from the group up, literally, the base is great and works well with the model and is very nicely done, then moving to the model itself, the weathering on that dread is fantastic especially when it comes to the face! and while we are on the topic of the face, that eye! That eye is stunning, the eerie glow that radiates from it makes you able to feel the fury of the ork trapped inside

xAngelicZ: Ugh.. another amazing entry.. Can I say anything that hasn't already been said? I know you weren't happy with the model.. and I have to wonder just what exactly you thought you could improve.. I mean really.. this model is already absolutely superb, I will disagree with blade on one thing, I like the yellow, I like all of the yellow, I think the white and black checkered pattern and that bionik eye are just enough to keep that balance. Also, the base works wonders, it's simple so it doesn't steal your eyes away from all that wonderful work on the model, but it acts like the eye and that checkered pattern and provides that little bit of contrast so that the yellow is at a perfect amount. Great job.. just.. great job.

Nix911's Ezekiel, Grand Master of Librarians - Completed 7/3

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  Your color choices for this guy are classic and you execution is spot on, it looks like something right out of a White Dwarf or Rule book. Your shading style seems very much like my own (as far as contrast from dark to light) and I know some people have told me it is a bet to contrasted, but I personally love it. I also love the base and I also often make use of scenic resin bases as I feel the really make the model come to life (Secret Weapon Bone fields base?), and the one you chose really adds to the character of the model. I also greatly appreciate that you took the time get pictures of your entry in an environment that fits him and draws you in to the feeling the model projects. The banner/book totem also looks awesome. You did a fantastic job all around!

Fritz40K:  A classic Space Marine model done perfectly. A real treat to look at. Love the blue armor with the Dark Angels shoulder pad- true to cannon.  Loving the shading of the robes and how it frames the chains, books, and other wargear. Really brings out the power of this model passing on the feeling that Ezekiel is about to unleash!

Hawkeye299:  Fantastic work overall, looks great, good highlights and works well together as a model, I especially loved the effort put into his standard, that book looks great! He really looks amazing in that ruin.
A model I truly enjoy looking at and makes me proud to see him serving the emperor looking his best!

xAngelicZ: This is another entry that I can't really begin to make suggestions for.. It's so clean.. I mean.. Take down GW's pictures for Ezekiel, put this one up instead.. everything is just perfect.. the shading, the highlights.. just perfect.. and those minor details! All that tiny writing, the colours on the robe, the highlights on the blue.. and that base of skulls.. I couldn't ask for anything better from this model..
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:22:54 AM by bladeiai »

Offline bladeiai

• Battle Brother
  • A corrupted soul
    • View Profile
    • The Chaos Box
Re: Painting Contest Completed Entries: The Judge's Table
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:37:50 AM »
Helcarexe's Nurgle Plague Hulk - Completed 7/3

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  This is the first time I have ever really looked closely at one of these monstrosities... it really is quite discussing and I love the Daemon/machine merging Motif (Ever since I played Doom as a wee lad). The model is fantastic and has a great amount detail. My first suggestion would be next time try to get better, clearer and some more close up shots. It is difficult for me to tell well enough in most shots to really critique the painting technique. The color choices look very good overall and very fitting to the model. Another thing I would suggest in the future is to either give all the organic parts a gloss coat or do a high gloss on the open wounds. Glossy skin will give the effect of sweat and make much more disturbing looking haha. Again it looks like a very well executed model, but the distance of the shots and blur make it hard to say for sure. 

Fritz40K:  A true fusion of Nurgle and machine, with hints of the dark mechanicus at work! Perfectly captures the essence of Nurgle and I love the corrosion effect on the pipes behind the monster. Paint and detail captured it perfectly since I canít really say where the monster or the machine begins or ends.

Hawkeye299: This model is horrible, and I mean that as a compliment! This model is a great merging of nurgle and machine, the corrosion and damage on the machine parts are well done and look great, and the deseased flesh is great as well, a model to be proud of.

xAngelicZ: As with the other judges.. my god, this thing is GROSS! Which is why I love it so much! You've captured Papa Plaguefather perfectly with this thing, the detail on the disgusting rotting body and the rust on the armour.. the level of detail on every part of this monstrosity.. you've done an absolutely spectacular job.. I'm almost sorry it didn't come with a giant warp portal spewing out nurglings, bial and all the rest of it.. Well done.. just.. wow..

Neojarlaxe - Ravenwing Sergeant - Completed 7/4

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  You did a great job on the flames and I really like the color theme you chose. The painting has a nice clean look to it with out being so clean that it seem boring. I also think the background you chose really makes the model pop. The only suggestion I would offer is to perhaps have gone with a more contrasting color for the face mask (of find a way to define the line between the mask and his skin a little better) as they seem to kind of blend together. I really like entry and it really has a great look with the flames and wings!

Fritz40K:  A real treat to see a Ravenwing model painted in a different vision, yet capture the Ďwing so perfectly. Crisp, clean, love the flames on the fender, I almost wonder if Iím even looking at a painted model and not some sort of computerized graphic it pops so well. Bonus bonus points for the details on the bike computer screen and controls.

Hawkeye299: This ravenwing biker is very well done, I love the clean crisp colours, the red and cream colours work brilliantly together and the highlights are brilliant, the model looks like he is just about to cut down the Imperiums enemies in the name of the Emperor. A very well done model that looks fantastic.

xAngelicZ: I have to say I knew who this entry belonged to before I read the the name, great work as always, it's clean, the highlights are sharp, the colours work well and the white/cream is done superbly. I really can't say anything bad about this model.. it really is great. Good work.

Beefcake97's Necron ghost ark - Completed 7/5

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  I love the color theme you chose for this. The colors really compliment each other nicely. I also think the pilot has a great look to him. My only suggestions would be to maybe do a little more shading on the solid blue areas and to find a better backdrop for your pictures... but I know you were in the middle of moving and appreciate you even taking the time to participate. I hope you will enter again next time as I know you have painted some really great stuff and would love to some more!

Fritz40K:  Love the blue off the silver and the pose/colors of the Necron piloting the ark. Love the way the control panel pops, makes me feel like I can step I and take control myself.

Hawkeye299: A great looking ghost ark! Nice to see necrons done in a bright colour for a change, the blue is solid and I also really like the dashboard of the ark with the red orb in the middle looking great.

xAngelicZ: I don't know I can say much else.. these guys stole all my comments! I do agree on that blue though, I would appreciate more shading/highlighting just to bring out the detail in the model more and make it all pop. That said, everything else looks great and I don't know how much more detail you can get out of a Ghost Ark.

Dark Corner Painting`s entry Great Unclean One - Completed 7/8

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  Another awesome Nurgle model choice and your execution is very good. I the color choices are spot on and the dry brushing really helps to bring out all the little gross details. I would offer the same suggestion as the last Nurgle entry... I think a gloss coat on the skin would have really added to the disgusting effect that Nurgle lends itself to, but at the very least I would have made the organs spilling out glossy, and maybe even added some Nurgle Rot for that oozing puss look. The other thing that would have really added to the model if the base had been finished. While not a lot of it is peeking out from under this hulking pile of rot, what is there makes it looks a big unfinished. You did a great job on this entry and I hope we will see you back in the contest in the future!

Fritz40K:  No easy task to paint such a busy Nurgle model- nailed it perfectly. Shading on the teeth and mouth really brought out the expression of this model along with the rust on the cleaver.

Hawkeye299: An impressive model painted very well, The intestines are well done and look really good, and the effects on the skin and armour are fantastically done, a model to make Nurgle proud!

xAngelicZ: I realise now that leaving my feedback so late only left room for the other judges to take all my remarks.. So basically, everything the other three said.. especially regarding that clear coat on the organs, giving them that slimy look/feel would have made it for me. However I can certainly understand going for that clean, not so filthy, disgusting look, even on this VERY Unclean One. I also just want to say, the eyes are perfect, the colour choice makes them stand out against the rest of the model and is a perfect touch to avoid having that boring green all over issue. Great work!

Flor's Entry Dark Angels Tech Marines - Completed 7/9

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  Another awesome old school entry here. The color choices look great and the painting and attention to detail really look great. I will have to disagree with Fritz on the glaze/gloss though, personally I would like the models better with a dull finish, at least on the clothing. They are still a great looking squad of minis and the bases you did really look great! I also love that you put the models in an environment for their pictures. Keep up the good work!

Fritz40K:  Classic tech marine and servitors perfectly done. The glaze over the servitor clothing and the red armor adds to the models perfectly. Love the detailing and attention to the wires, plasma vents on the marine pack and the mechanicus symbols.

Hawkeye299: A great looking tech marine, clean and crisp colours and the servitors are done well as well I really like the blue contrast on the servo harness, the servitors are nice and look great on their bases.

xAngelicZ: This is getting ridiculous, you guys are all Telepaths aren't you? You've been stealing my thoughts, haven't you?! Seriously though, good work on these models, I like the shiny over the dull, so i'm going to agree with Fritz here. The Highlights are sharp and bring out the detail and as I think skin is possibly the hardest thing in the galaxy to paint properly, I very much appreciate the work you did here. Good stuff^^!

DAG42's DW Command Squad - Completed 7/9

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  Classic color choice for these guys and the shading and consistency is spot on. Great paint job all around on them, the attention to detail is like something you would expect on a single model, but across a whole squad. I really like the effects you did on the lightening claws and the plasma gun, but I am an effects whore, so that is no surprise.  I love the bases as well, they really draw you in and make the models very believable and fits the weathering on the armor. My only suggestion would be to try to get better pictures next time. Maybe print out a backdrop that fits with the bases, or but them in a building or on a piece of terrain that fits the theme. Again you did an awesome job on each of these and I hope to continue to see more entries from you in the future!

Fritz40K:  Crisp, clean, and flawless execution of some Dark Angels terminators- the inner circle would be honored. Love the framing and 3D of the terminator badges, power weapon effects on the lightning claws and the ruggedness of the bases which contrasts so well with the crisp models. Awesome glow on the plasma cannon plasma chamber.

Hawkeye299: A great looking terminator squad, a great display of a variety of weapons and overall look great, I love the object source lighting on the plasma cannon and the lightning claws especially, bases clearly contrast with the models. overall a fantastic job.

xAngelicZ: I guess as far as you improving these models goes.. a nice backdrop is all you can do.. These models are fantastic.. The glow on the eyes and Plasma Cannon, the blending on the Lightning Claws, it all looks superb. I love that weathered, battle-worn effect too so I have to say I wouldn't even ask for more highlighting here.. these guys are an awesome representation of exactly what grimdark should be.

EBomb's Shining Spear Exarch- Completed 7/6

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  I'm still undecided on how I feel about double line highlighting... it definitely conveys a "Tron" feeling, but on your Exarch and squad it definitely works. The starkly contrasting colors really complement each other for a very high tech feel. The color theme in general is very cool and works very well with these models. The gems also look well executed.  I would suggest maybe trying to get the line highlights a little thinner, which I'm sure is a tall order, or perhaps use a slightly less contrasting set of colors to make them not "feel" as big. This is really just personal preference though and you did a great job on these models. They do look like the might benefit from a big more shading, but it's possible that the high contrast is just giving everything a "black/white" feeling. You did a great job on these though and the effect of the line highlight works well with these guys! Good Job!

Fritz40K:  Loving the clean highlights on the blue and white and the alternative bike. Bonus points for the pop of the spirit stones, love the runes on the lance banner for the exarch.

Hawkeye299: This shining spear exarch is very nice, I like the extreme highlights on the jetbike itself and the freehand on the wings of the bike and and the fabric on the spear itself, the gems look great as well, overall a great job.

xAngelicZ: I must say i'm very impressed by that double-line highlighting, it does look kinda "Tron" but it definitely works, you have to love that contrast between the highlights and that darker blue it just makes the entire model go BANG! It's just something you NEED to look at when you see it on the table top. Just overall I have to say I really like this model.. and it only looks better with the squad.. Kudos on the hand-painted runes too, there's no way I could do anything like that.. OH! ALSO! Most importantly congratulations on that smooth layer of white! I know exactly how difficult that is!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:30:49 PM by xAngelicZ »

Offline bladeiai

• Battle Brother
  • A corrupted soul
    • View Profile
    • The Chaos Box
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:47:29 PM »
Striker0079's Prince Yriel - Completed 7/9

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  You did a great job on this guy. I like the color scheme and it is of course well fitting. Good work on the gems as well. Your shading looks pretty good, but I would try to work on the detail cut in a little more. The lines on the bottom of the cape could be a little cleaner and more consistent. If you work on your line work and fine detail you will really see a drastic improvement on the look of your models.  The basing looks very nice and this is a very solid painting job over all!

Fritz40K:  Awesome to see the prince back on the table! Paint and colors captured the look and agony of him perfectly. Great job on the power effects and stones on the spear. Banners and basing frame the model perfectly.

Hawkeye299: This is a good example of a model well done, the detail on the cape is very nice and well done and the banners on his back are great also. Yriel stands well on his base with his spear looking good while he does.

xAngelicZ: Ohhh, you picked a tough one to present to me my friend, bringing my Craftworld's Prince to me. Let's see.. I have to say, I love it! That yellow cape is perfect contrasting with the rest of the model, I really don't think the colour combination could be better, the white hair stands out for the same reason too and I think adds a great balance of colour. The Bone and purple work absolutely perfectly and the base ties everything together.. Well done my friend, you have done Iyanden Justice. Also, I know for a FACT how hard it is painting yellow... so on that count.. Kudos to you! Especially getting such a bright colour.

tannibal_lecter's 9 chaos cultists and converted cultist champion - Completed 7/10

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  I really love what you did with these guys, and as a CSM player, there will always be a special place in my heart for the human meat shield that is the Chaos Cultist. You did a great job on all of these guys and the attention to detail is great! I can see a noticeable improvement from the last contest and I think it's great to be able to see your improvement so quickly. While all of the cultists you did are great, I think the real star here is the female cultist with the banner... great use of bits, great shading/coloring and the feeling of movement is really awesome. She has a lot of character and will look fantastic on the board. My only suggestion will probably be pointless as it is really down to personal taste (and I know you already did the base simple because you like simple bases) but I would have liked to have seen a little more visually interesting bases. I should clarify I don't think the a base has to be so busy that it is taking attention away from the model, but that is should have enough visual interest to make you feel as though you are drawn into the environment that the model exists in. In the end your cultists look amazing and while I would like to see a little more love in the bases, I do like the signature green goo!

Fritz40K:  Very ambitious to paint a full squad. Love the converted champion leading the squad. What really captured the models was the effects, layers, and lens flares on the eyes of the models, shows that there is a sad and tragic story behind each cultists that would drive them forward to such acts of treachery. Subtle highlights on the guns are a nice touch, makes them a bit more alive than just gunmetal silver or bolter silver.

Hawkeye299:

xAngelicZ: I was blown away by this entry.. To see how far you've come from the last contest, the improvements in every single aspect of your work.. the models themselves look amazing, the highlights and blending are superb and those lenses are awesome. That White on Purple too.. the colour choice is awesome.. I don't even know how you managed to paint such a clean, smooth layer of white, but I know it must have been majorly difficult.. These are absolutely fantastic.. AWESOME WORK! Although I will just say I would have liked brighter blue highlights against that black, just to make the detail on the armour stand out more^^

mrnobody116's Death Guard Helbrute - Completed 7/10

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai: The Hulbrute was the first 40k model that I ever painted and I have always loved the model. Your Death Guard / Nurgle is really amazing looking. Your color choices are great and I really love the look around the "pilot" and how it has a sort of eerie glow. I also really like the blast effect coming from the barrels. I assume you were going for a Nurgley look for the blast, and you accomplished this very well, and in truth it looks great. If it had been me I would probably have gone with a traditional fireball look only because it would have give the opportunity to add some color to the model in the orange/red range and break up the bleak looking Nurgleyness of it. But again it still looks awesome the way it is. I also really like what you did with the base, great work on the sludge and the drain. I like the idea of the torn apart guy on the ground but he doesn't look like he is posed right... he kind of appears to be floating a bit. I have used models in my bases quite a bit and as it can be very hard to get the model into the right post after the terrain is down. Sometimes it can be much harder to pose the models, so you might want to "build" the terrain around them to make them look as though they are posed naturally (if that makes sense). I still love the gory effect of the guts and being ripped apart and feel it really adds to the Chaos look of this model. Great job all around and you should be very proud of what you created here! I can't wait to see your next entry!

Fritz40K:  Loving the flow of the model and how the paint carries you though it- starting at the base and moving up through the green as the white horns and bones pull your eyes to the top before blasting you out of the Nurgle effects coming out of the multi-melta. The eye on the power fist is very nice.

Hawkeye299: This is a great looking helbrute, the bright colours in amongst the green really makes the model pop and the flame effect really gives the model a sense of movement, the dead guardsman on the base is also a great addition as well as the leaking pipe.

xAngelicZ: 

Amphibious803's Tyranid Hive Tyrant - Completed 7/10

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai: I like what you did with this model and really like the basing you did. The colors are nice and work for the evil monstrous space alien look. I think the shading needs some work and you when a little to contrasting one the dry brush colors, which doesn't leave much in the way of color transition, it's just dark - light with nothing between. My suggestion would be pick a middle ground for the color you want, base coat it that color, wash with a shade that is a darker version of the hue and then come back in with a lighter color and highlight larger areas and then come back in with an even lighter color and pick out the highest points. If when you get done you find the shading is to far off from being smooth you can try covering the whole thing in a glaze that is in the color range and it will help to blend the colors all together. I love that you did the really high gloss in areas, it creates a really nice dramatic effect to the model. One final suggestion, no matter how dynamic your make your base, try to keep the beveled edge untouched and just painted black, it helps to frame the model and keep it looking clean and crisp. You did a good job on this guy and I really enjoy him! I hope to see you competing again in the next contest!

Fritz40K:  This model reminds me why guys should be afraid of Hive Tyrants. Awesome job on the wings and claws/arms bio-morphs. Reaching out and framed by the head perfectly. Love the green and the green shades on the bones/horns- makes me ask if it has the acid blood biomorph.

Hawkeye299: A very terrifying looking hive tyrant the greenish yellow works very well with the dark blue/grey of the hive tyrant, the highlighting on the carapace is also nicely done and adds some good texture.

xAngelicZ:

hillshire's Space Marine Vindicator  - Completed 7/10

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai: Ah the Vindicator... I have a few of these in my CSM army and love the look you get when you plop 2 or 3 of them down on the table. You did a good job with the color scheme on this guy. You also did a pretty good job getting the paint down, not to many brush streaks. It is very hard to paint these smoothly without an airbrush and the best thing to do it multiple thinned down coats. Another thing I would suggest is applying a wash. You could go with something like Nul Oil and it will really give it a nice realistic look. Just be sure to thin it down too and apply several very thin coats as it can be difficult to deal with on flat surfaces and takes some practice to get perfect. I like what you were trying to accomplish with the shell being fired and it looks pretty good. I also like what you did with the shells in the interior. If you want to get a more realistic look you may also want to do a very light brown dry-brush on the lower sides of the tank to simulate dust buildup. Great job overall!

Fritz40K:  Love the marine commanding the tank as it shoots. Nice and clean on the paint and the lines of the tank. Bonus bonus points for painting and modeling the inside with shells and being brave enough to tackle that over just gluing the hatch up and shot. Brings out the character of the vindicator.

Hawkeye299: A good looking vindicator, I really like the shell that is in mid shot and the freehand on the side, the blue and white works well with the silver of the tank and the white is very solid. Plus the inside is painted which is always worth noting, taking that extra effort goes a long way.

xAngelicZ:

Zangetsu'S Praetorian Imperial Guard Comissar - Completed 7/10

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  I think this is another group that looks like the paint is to thick because they are the old lovable metal models. They look good overall but I would have liked to have seen a little more shading in the clothing like you can see in the weapons. I would also have seen something done with the bases instead of just the plane black. On the slotted models I feel like it is extra important to do something to cover the bases and tie the models all together. Still a very nice job on this squad and I'm sure it will look great on the table.

Fritz40K:  A real treat to see some classic IG models over the usual Cadians. Classic colors and defiance proving you can still be a distinguished gentleman and die for the Emperor. Love how the red frames the sword and fist of the commissar.

Hawkeye299: The commissar and his squad look great, nice to see some praetorian troops as they are a very rare sight, the squad members are clean and have a lot of detail done on the faces.

xAngelicZ:

The Overlord's entry freeboota orks - Completed 7/10

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  ORKS! and just in time for the big release... I really like what you did with these guys. The pirate theme is awesome, I mean who doesn't like pirates right? I also like how you gave the different models different shades of green skin tone. I really like what you did with the bases and it really fits the theme you went with, a little more variance would have been nice but I still love them the way they are. Another suggestion would be drill all the barrels on the guns out. I see you did some but not the others, I'm guessing because of time restraints. Also I would have loved to seen a backdrop of a pirate ship or something awesome like that = ) but they still look amazing! Great job as usual!

Fritz40K:  Pirate Orks are already a win. What captured the models for me was the literally the greenskin- the boldness of it, highlights, and pop- and then you notice all the other cool Ork gadgets and flash of the models.

Hawkeye299: I love me some orks, and these are no exception, these freeboota boys are nicely converted, well painted and all around look very orky and very cool! WAAAAAAGH!

xAngelicZ:

irishsnout's Space Marine tactical Squad - Completed 7/10

- Judge's Feed Back -

bladeiai:  The models looks very good, and the shading is good. The lighting effect on the plasma gun could be exaggerated a bit more I think but still looks good. The basing also looks pretty good and helps to pull the models together nicely. The shading on the gold eagles looks good as well. Great job all around.

Fritz40K:  Ambitious to paint an entire squad. Brass Imperial Eagle pops nicely on the framed green. Nice effects on the power weapon and plasma chamber.

Hawkeye299: These marines are great, a good solid green colour with the bright gold contrasting nicely, the sergeants power sword is nicely done and helps him stand out, the red eyes of the rest of the marines help break up the green as well giving off a very good look.

xAngelicZ:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:16:20 AM by xAngelicZ »

Offline bladeiai

• Battle Brother
  • A corrupted soul
    • View Profile
    • The Chaos Box
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 04:25:21 PM »
Over the course of the week we will be adding the feedback and comments of the judge's to all of the entries. As the Judge's Thread is locked to keep it tidy and easy to navigate, there is a discussion thread if you would like do discuss or make your own comments about the entries or the contest in general. Please check back to this thread often if you would like to see the feedback, as it will not be shown as new posts when it is updated.

If you would like to check out the discussion thread you can find it here:
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=3690.0

Offline bladeiai

• Battle Brother
  • A corrupted soul
    • View Profile
    • The Chaos Box
The Judge's Entries
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »

**Note eligible for voting**

bladeiai's Eldar Wraithknight
I never did really get a chance to finish him up completely with everything going on, but he is close enough...

Hawkeye299's Space marine librarian

Please feel free to leave feedback for our entries in the Judge's Table Comment Thread as we would love to know what you think, and hear where you think we could improve.

Thank you again to everyone that participated and made this contest so great!