Author Topic: Jumping Ship to the Dark Side  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Bearded Beheader

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Jumping Ship to the Dark Side
« on: September 29, 2014, 11:50:33 PM »
With GW never releasing those jet bikes, and Storm Guardians, and Farseers and Warlocks on bikes, I am tempted to jump ship to the new Dark Eldar codex. I am on the fence because I am hoping (for the past 5 years) for those jet bikes but the killer for me is if in the new Dark Eldar book Harlequins can take Venoms like in the Valador book.

Should I hold out still in hopes that something is coming like the Ulthwe rumor and see what pans out?

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
Re: Jumping Ship to the Dark Side
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 03:41:22 AM »
I rather like the opportunity for conversion that the lack of models leaves, i've seen some AWESOME conversions for Warlock/Farseer bikers.

I do agree though, the Storm Guardian upgrade kit is expensive on top of a regular box of Guardians..
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline Ramses135

• Primarch
  • Scion of Ulthwé
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 03:56:11 AM »
I rather like the opportunity for conversion that the lack of models leaves, i've seen some AWESOME conversions for Warlock/Farseer bikers.

I do agree though, the Storm Guardian upgrade kit is expensive on top of a regular box of Guardians.

Yup, expensive, but they are Ulthwé Storm Guardians  :P 8) 8)
We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

Online Nebuchadnezzar

• Harlequin Scholar
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Guardian of the Black Library of Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 05:19:48 AM »
I am afraid of what they will change to harlequins....if they change anything
I mastered the chaos in mind and soul.
I will kill you and with a beautiful laugh I will dance until I go mad.

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:49:20 AM »
Why don't you use the Russian ones that are getting around the web.. they look awesome!

http://aleatorblog.de/eldar-jetbik/

http://bloodofkittens.com/wargaminghub/2013/04/30/whoa-check-out-these-jet-bike-models/

Offline FalleN

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »
Why don't you use the Russian ones that are getting around the web.. they look awesome!

http://aleatorblog.de/eldar-jetbik/

http://bloodofkittens.com/wargaminghub/2013/04/30/whoa-check-out-these-jet-bike-models/

Ya the Russian ones are really nice, i've seen them in a couple battle reports online. They seem to be modeled after the Ges Goodwin WIP that was shown at games day 5 or so years ago. Their also pretty fairly priced at $10 bucks each.

Heres a link to the Website where you can buy them.
http://www.souldark.ru/magazin/Netshop/Murderfrost-miniatures-and-vehicles/Murderfrost-miniatures_3914.html
"Our time will come again, Eldrad has promised us. Once more you upstart Mon-keigh[spits] shall kneel before our power! This time we will not be so lenient!"

Offline hawkhaven667

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »
Why are you worried about harlequins not being able to take venkms why can't you just put them in a venom

Offline Angelic

• Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 08:09:31 PM »
I believe the point he was making was if Harlequins COULD take a Venom he'd be more persuaded to jump ship over to Dark Eldar

Offline Ramses135

• Primarch
  • Scion of Ulthwé
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 01:43:06 AM »
As the newest rumors state, that there are NO Harlequins in the new DE codex, I guess that leaves us with Valedor formation. Which is fine.
We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

Online Nebuchadnezzar

• Harlequin Scholar
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Guardian of the Black Library of Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 05:26:29 AM »
how Valedor formation works? when could you use it?
I mastered the chaos in mind and soul.
I will kill you and with a beautiful laugh I will dance until I go mad.

Offline Bearded Beheader

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 10:51:32 PM »
I didn't hear that rumor Ramses but it is kinda a good thing. Maybe we'll get a Harelquin codex. I am fine with the Valador formation because we actually get a Great Harelquin with that formation. I don't have the book next to me but I think it is an Apoc formation only.

(EDIT) I looked in the book and the formation is 3+ units of Harlequins and 3+ Venoms or 3+ Vypers. When you take this one of troupe master gets upgraded to troupe leader (Great Harlequin) with WS/BS 7, S/T/W 3, I 7, A 4, Ld 10. Plus you get the Confounding Presence rule for the formation. Also, Crusader, Deep Strike, Fear and Preferred Enemy (Daemons and Chaos Marines).

It is a sweet formation and the Venom thing is what made me think of the idea of them getting them in the DE codex.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:02:10 PM by Bearded Beheader »

Offline Angelic

• Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 11:18:50 PM »
Unfortunately it is an Apocalypse formation, but if you ask your opponent i'm sure they won't mind so much.

Offline hawkhaven667

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 11:30:06 PM »
I didn't hear that rumor Ramses but it is kinda a good thing. Maybe we'll get a Harelquin codex. I am fine with the Valador formation because we actually get a Great Harelquin with that formation. I don't have the book next to me but I think it is an Apoc formation only.

(EDIT) I looked in the book and the formation is 3+ units of Harlequins and 3+ Venoms or 3+ Vypers. When you take this one of troupe master gets upgraded to troupe leader (Great Harlequin) with WS/BS 7, S/T/W 3, I 7, A 4, Ld 10. Plus you get the Confounding Presence rule for the formation. Also, Crusader, Deep Strike, Fear and Preferred Enemy (Daemons and Chaos Marines).

It is a sweet formation and the Venom thing is what made me think of the idea of them getting them in the DE codex.
I don't know if a harlequin codex would work as I see harlequins as lone operators that work in coordination with s troupe and units of harlequins at only like a splinter force of a troupe and they only rarely get together in large numbers i.e. grand parades or performances however if thety were willing to make some new models and rules and make them a codex designed to be taken as allies or a full fledged codex that would make me very happy

Offline Ramses135

• Primarch
  • Scion of Ulthwé
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 02:56:50 AM »

Interesting question: Formation can be taken per se, e.g. without adhering to FoC. So if I take Valedor Formation, I am able to take empty Venoms, right? I mean, the formation is composed from 3+ Venoms, there's nothing said about the fact, that the Venoms have to be taken as dedicated transports for any unit.

Is this line of thought ok?

Another interesting thing is, the formation does not say, which Venoms. So would I be able to take both DE Venom and Corsair Venom? would I be able to mix them?

Not sure about anything of this.

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 07:01:28 AM »
I don't believe you would be able to take the corsair venom for a couple of reasons. One IIRC it is actually named corsair venom rather than venom, and two and more importantly it is an eldar / dark eldar formation, meaning you can only field it with those armies as your primary detachment and pulling studff from their codexes.
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.