Author Topic: Emboldens Eldar 40k blog - Seer Council goes to Caledonian Revolutions July 2015  (Read 115159 times)

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
I hope you post battle report. :)

Oh yes mate! My plan is to document every game I play with the Harlequins, showing my learning curve! No matter how steep and gruesome it maybe! 

Game1 will be a 1000pt game against Tau, my soon to be regular opponent has just picked up a Tau starter army after a long break from the hobby.

Gonna be a tough start for the army, I'm going pure Harlequins.. I'm thinking..

Masque Detachment:

10 Harlequins - 6 caresses, 4 kisses, haywire grenade - 238 (Warlord)
5 Harlequins - 2 caresses, 2 kisses - 121
5 Harlequins - 2 caresses, 2 kisses - 121
Starweaver - 70
Starweaver - 70
Voidweaver - 75
Shadowseer - mask, lvl2 - 100
Shadowseer - lvl2 - 85
Deathjester - 60
Deathjester - 60

1000pts

Quite a simple idea.. 5 man Harlequin squads jump in the Starweavers with a Death Jester attached to each squad, these push to midfield blasting away. The Shadowseers join the large harlequin squad and they push further into enemy territory. While the Voidweaver hangs around looking threatening..
AKA: Rob

Element Games Referral Code: ROB745

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline Alister

• Battle Brother
  • Masque of Thousand Dreams
    • View Profile
My game vs. Tau ended in 0:20 in third round.
Deus nobiscum, quis contra?
God is with us, who can be against us?

Offline amras_falassion

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • Eskaywoo: Brand Strategy and Design
Looking forward to reading your endeavors with the harlequins.

I just started painting my Solitaire. Funnily I may not really use him/her. Just looks good.

I'm planning to collect a small force , perhaps starting with Falchus Blade formation.  And allying with my craftworld Eldar.

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
My game vs. Tau ended in 0:20 in third round.

Ouch.. any tips/tricks you'd like to share to avoid that horrible end?

Looking forward to reading your endeavors with the harlequins.

I just started painting my Solitaire. Funnily I may not really use him/her. Just looks good.

I'm planning to collect a small force , perhaps starting with Falchus Blade formation.  And allying with my craftworld Eldar.

NIIIICE I like the Solitaire a lot! Shame you won't use it much. I'm the same, I've not bought any of the new models yet until I get a few games under my belt. Proxying Vypers as Starweaves/Voidweavers.

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline Alister

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
I don't know what I could do better.
It was 800p game he dropped 2 transports and warlord squad turn 1.
One squad failed pinning, one disembarked and wiped fire warriors, rest of tau army wiped remaining units end of story.

Seriously ... No idea.

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
I don't know what I could do better.
It was 800p game he dropped 2 transports and warlord squad turn 1.
One squad failed pinning, one disembarked and wiped fire warriors, rest of tau army wiped remaining units end of story.

Seriously ... No idea.

Ouch, yeah, that sounds very much like a one sided game.

Any chance you could of used reserves or deployed slightly different? I'm trying to think outside the box myself.

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline Alister

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
I had to use CAD-rules not Masque so no running and charge; maybe I could try to hover outside his rapid range turn 1 to minimase his firepower and then try to move-charge with troupes (most probably transports would be down anyway).
I had first turn so reserver would not help at all. :(

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
I had to use CAD-rules not Masque so no running and charge; maybe I could try to hover outside his rapid range turn 1 to minimase his firepower and then try to move-charge with troupes (most probably transports would be down anyway).
I had first turn so reserver would not help at all. :(
Yeah, Run then charge on turn 2 means I will be moving up turn1 and hoping to charge turn2, if I go first, if not, I will have to play the mission and hope to stay out of trouble in the early part of the game.

My opponent has just sent me an email asking to check his list to make sure the points are right and its legal, I know Tau quite well and this looks a horrible list to face..  :-\ :'(

1x Commander - 2 Missile Pods, Flamer, Target lock - 125

2x Battlesuits - 2x2 Missile pods, 1x Target lock, 1 Vector Thrusters - 114
1x Battlesuit - 2 Fusion Blasters, Flamer - 57

9x Fire Warriors - 81
8x Fire Warriors - 72 In Devilfish - SMS - 90
10x Kroot - 1x Hound - 65

1x Riptide - Ion Accelerator, Early Warning Overide, Stimulant Injector -  225

5x Pathfinders - 55

1x Skyray - 115

Total: 999

Doing this gives me time to form a plan.. any ideas?

I know I cannot charge head long into this list, I've got to try to isolate units and tackle the army piece meal. But how do I go about doing this?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:23:04 AM by embolden »

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
I think all armies have difficulty with Tau.. all I can say is get rid of those Pathfinders ASAP and see if you can Haywire the Vehicles to death.. once you get to combat Tau just buckle even if you do eat a couple of Overwatch Shots.. make sure you always charge more than one unit in the same phase since it means at least one of them is guaranteed to make it in to combat and i'm not sure how you want to tackle the Riptide, but Shuriken Cannons would be my suggestion. Otherwise see if you can't Death Jester them off the field with a little help from the Mask Of Secrets, they all have quite low leadership to begin with.

Also Veil of Tears and that reverse Invisibility Malediction from Phantasmancy will be your friend. Also, don't charge the Kroot, they'll drown you in attacks more than likely.. though they're generally super easy to kill.

Hope this helps..
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
I think all armies have difficulty with Tau.. all I can say is get rid of those Pathfinders ASAP and see if you can Haywire the Vehicles to death.. once you get to combat Tau just buckle even if you do eat a couple of Overwatch Shots.. make sure you always charge more than one unit in the same phase since it means at least one of them is guaranteed to make it in to combat and i'm not sure how you want to tackle the Riptide, but Shuriken Cannons would be my suggestion. Otherwise see if you can't Death Jester them off the field with a little help from the Mask Of Secrets, they all have quite low leadership to begin with.

Also Veil of Tears and that reverse Invisibility Malediction from Phantasmancy will be your friend. Also, don't charge the Kroot, they'll drown you in attacks more than likely.. though they're generally super easy to kill.

Hope this helps..

Yeah that sounds like a solid plan. I was surprised to see that much fire power and a Riptide at 1000pts lol! I think my only advantage is thay my opponent is fairly new to 7th, but I'm new to Harlequins.. so my advantage is somewhat negated!  :-\
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:47:44 AM by embolden »

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline amras_falassion

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
One of the Tau's special rules is the 'Supporting Fire' which can quickly destroy the charge from a small number of bodies. It's tough even getting into combat..

I'd love to see how the Harlequins perform against this type of army. I just find it difficult to get around the idea that the transport only carries 6... As I was thinking that a full unit of Troupe would be needed to get into combat after taking some over watch losses.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Offline amras_falassion

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
On a separate note: I just completed the Solitaire model. I love the sculpt. But the gem on his leg, is quite fragile. I nearly broke it off while preparing the model.

And it is a tall model with a high centre of gravity. So it can topple over easily. I'm going to put a metal washer under the base to help the stability.

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
One of the Tau's special rules is the 'Supporting Fire' which can quickly destroy the charge from a small number of bodies. It's tough even getting into combat..

I'd love to see how the Harlequins perform against this type of army. I just find it difficult to get around the idea that the transport only carries 6... As I was thinking that a full unit of Troupe would be needed to get into combat after taking some over watch losses.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Yep, I've been advising my opponent to keep the army together to maximise this, along with overwatching with Markerlights first, plus how he intends to use the army. deep striking the fusion battle suit and how much damage flamers do to units in open topped transports!

We're keeping game one simple, kill points, then we'll play an objective game as well if we have the time.

It will be interesting for us to play!

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
On a separate note: I just completed the Solitaire model. I love the sculpt. But the gem on his leg, is quite fragile. I nearly broke it off while preparing the model.

And it is a tall model with a high centre of gravity. So it can topple over easily. I'm going to put a metal washer under the base to help the stability.

Wow! (Again)

The model and the paint looks great! Top stuff  ;D It deserves at least a game or two  :P

Embolden Eldar Log

Online Morollan

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Yep, I've been advising my opponent to keep the army together to maximise this, along with overwatching with Markerlights first, plus how he intends to use the army. deep striking the fusion battle suit and how much damage flamers do to units in open topped transports!

We're keeping game one simple, kill points, then we'll play an objective game as well if we have the time.

It will be interesting for us to play!

I think your list will really struggle against this Tau army. They outnumber you and outgun you plus if they clump up they make it virtually impossible to assault them - which you really need to be doing! Only suggestions would be to take out the pathfinders early to remove the majority of the markerlights then concentrate on using your Death Jesters to pull units out of the gunline to let your Troupes assault without having the entire army overwatch them. I'd consider dropping the big Harlie unit down a few models in order to afford a third Death Jester.