Author Topic: Paint Scheme  (Read 4407 times)

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Paint Scheme
« on: October 18, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »
I've chosen a rather complex paint scheme for my tyranids (which was autocorrected to tyrannies??). What do you think?

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
Re: Paint Scheme
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »
Really cool man.  I really like the delicate transition you're getting on the skin.  I've been using purple shades on my browns as well.  My own army is a slight variation on Leviathan but I'm doing another small army for a friend that's similar to Kraken except with deep green armor plates.  The skin on them is based on Zandri Dust with shadows and highlights up to Ushabti Bone but in certain areas I'm hitting it with Drouchi Violet and really liking what it does.  It's not as complex as yours by far though.

Tryanids are tough for me to invest lots of time in since there are so many needed in a good army but some of my own models will likely be somehwat complex as well.  I'll try to add them eventually.
Repent, for tomorrow you die.
http://rezial.blogspot.com/

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »
Thanks. I'm still not happy with the armour plates because I can't use the typical gradients and techniques. If the plates get too bright, they blend with all of the other textures, and it's really hard to feather with really dark browns. But I'll probably just accept it.

I'm not sure how the next model will differ, but at this point I need to stop worrying about perfection, just do the best I can and get these models on the table.

Offline Kayreios

• Brother Captain
  • "This is the best that bikes are going to get..."
    • View Profile
    • Painted Gribblies - Miniature Critique + WIP + Blargh
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »
Agree with your last comment, if anything darken under the armor plates in shadow areas and darken the skin.  You may want to contrast the colour of the skin OR armour a bit more so that you don't have to worry so much about light/dark contrast, since both skin and armour are going to have gradients.

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 11:43:20 PM »
Agree with your last comment, if anything darken under the armor plates in shadow areas and darken the skin.  You may want to contrast the colour of the skin OR armour a bit more so that you don't have to worry so much about light/dark contrast, since both skin and armour are going to have gradients.

Hey, thanks for the comment! I'm not sure what I understand exactly what you mean though. I know that I can't darken the armour plates any more beyond using pure black. They were originally done in black, but I've lightened them a little with German Camo Black/Brown. That would have been the base mixed with a little black if I had known what I know now.

Should I use more purple on the skin? Darker brown?

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:46:40 AM »
I'm not sure I follow what he's getting at either.

From what I can see most of your model is probably dark enough.  I'd say the skin is looking great in fact...  Pretty much finished.  I'd recommend focusing on the armor plates in one of two ways.  One way is to make them tie into the skin in a similar way that compliments the browns and reds/purple.  Many real creatures, bugs, reptiles, etc., have scales and chitin that are all the same or similar color as their fleshier parts.  The other way is to use stark contrast but that is itself a complimenting color.  This can also look very natural but has the added bonus of being very striking looking.  I think I'd go this way personally.  You've done such a great job on that skin that depending on what you chose for the armor it could cause the observer to really see both distinct elements each time they look at one of your models.  I might go with a nice red, purple, black, or maybe even a green.  Plus you can get really nice results on the plates quickly without using all those lines that a lot of painters use.  Just some thoughts.

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »
Yeah, I'm really happy with the skin and it think it's locked in for the scheme. I'm not sure that I want a colour contrast between the skin and armour; I'm pretty sure (for this Exocrine at least) it'll be a value contrast instead.

I mapped out a technique that should give me a solid texture on the armour while keeping a low value, never going any brighter than the darkest brown on the flesh, while using that value sparingly.

Offline Jaysic

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 11:21:02 AM »
Looks great buddy

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 10:24:02 PM »
Alright. Here are how my Armour plates are coming along. Any thoughts?

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
I have to admit I can't fully form an opinion until I see the next stage we talked about.  Your paint quality is top notch though.

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 02:45:25 AM »
So, here are the armour plates I just worked on. Much of the armour on the model still needs work, but almost all of the back is complete.

Again, thoughts? Comments? Anything is appreciated.

Offline javaman21011

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 01:51:16 PM »
I'm definitely in favor of the skin tone, but the plates look a little... boring? Are you thinking of adding any more layers of feathering?

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 03:00:31 PM »
I like the input, but what makes it more boring than the usual feathering?

I do have an idea, but I'm not exactly clear on how it implement it.

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 01:35:01 AM »
After some discussion and advice, I've added an edge highlight to the plates. It still needs to be blended in, but this is how it looks so far.

I think... I'm going to make the edge highlight more orange. I've been fooling around with GIMP and my photographs, and I think it will bring the whole thing together quite nicely.

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »
More pictures. This time with the head and gun on, which are magnetized. It does give a much better impression of the scheme and how the model looks, rather than just the plates. The plates will have a better edge highlight, and the orange on the gun will be OSL.

I didn't properly adjust the white balance on my camera either, so it's like quite orange under the incandescent bulbs. I thought the fluorescent would do more to balance that, but apparently not.

Again. All questions and comments are welcome!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:32:54 PM by AlmostMercury »