Author Topic: Tangle Wire and Battlefield Debris  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Flashpoint

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Tangle Wire and Battlefield Debris
« on: November 11, 2014, 07:37:42 AM »
Is tangle wire good protection against an assault on Buildings & Fortifications ?
Per upgrade what length x width should a terrain piece be of tangle wire be?

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tangle Wire and Battlefield Debris
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:20:03 AM »
In my experiences, not really.  However, the models that tend to go up against my fortifications are more like Maulerfiends and Carnifexes and not normal troops.

One of the nice thing about them is that it's a guaranteed difficult terrain on the charge for assault models - so -2".

What types of units are assaulting your fortifications?

Offline Flashpoint

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 04:25:20 AM »
My main objective is to keep a simple squad with a power fist from just walk right up and punching away at my Aquila Stronghold.
I like the idea of killing 2 or 3 of the assaulting army members on terrain checks and snapshots  lol.
plus you have to take -2 to the assault roll so if you put the trip wire 6" away you need roll at least an 8 to assault.
it adds a little complexity to the opponent that is a good thing too.
Would walkers ignore terrain, do demons ignore terrain if not hovering or flying?

Thanks for your help and camaraderie !

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 07:25:39 AM »
My main objective is to keep a simple squad with a power fist from just walk right up and punching away at my Aquila Stronghold.
I like the idea of killing 2 or 3 of the assaulting army members on terrain checks and snapshots  lol.
plus you have to take -2 to the assault roll so if you put the trip wire 6" away you need roll at least an 8 to assault.
it adds a little complexity to the opponent that is a good thing too.
Would walkers ignore terrain, do demons ignore terrain if not hovering or flying?

Thanks for your help and camaraderie !

A powerfist cannot hurt the Aquila since it's AV15 and units with powerfist are S4 (making it S8).  I can't think of any S5 models with powerfists at the moment.  Chainfists would hurt it but not powerfists.

Regardless, the -2" from charging through terrain may help but units that can take those types of weapons usually have 2+ saves.  You'll need to get find a way to remove them as a threat a different way.  Also some walkers have move through cover.  Certain model types of daemons (like cavalry and beasts) ignore terrain as well.  Things like this (and units like Sternguard in a drop pod) are reasons why the Aquilis isn't that good of a model overall.