Author Topic: I have a vision.  (Read 4574 times)

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
I have a vision.
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:03:57 PM »
I'd like to share with you all my vision for my Tyrannid horde. And hope to get some awesome feedback and ideas from everyone here.

For your enjoyment, please play the following youtube video in the background. It just exists to help with the mood and set an atmosphere. It is not needed, but heavily recommended :)

http://youtu.be/Nx4kFO74WVk

Alright. So I'm gonna be coming into a small nid army right away (deathstrike nids), and with that I've been trying to think up an idea for how I would paint my soon to be tyrannid army. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a color scheme, but nothing was giving me any real good ideas.

At one point I started going through all my movies and video games, trying to see if I can get some means of inspiration from my collection (this coming from seeing a Bioshock themed color scheme online). So after looking for awhile, my eyes landed on my second largest and second most prized collection, and then it hit me.....

GODZILLA THEMED TYRANNID ARMY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I know the term "Nidzilla" is very common, just a nid army with all MC's, but the vision I have for my army goes alittle further then that idea. My tyrannid army will be modeled, and painted (with all the skill I can muster in both) in the image of each and every Godzilla monster from the whole Toho movie series!

Now this just means any Godzilla monster that has made an appearance in the traditional Toho movie line up. So no Godzilla cartoon series, no books (maybe, still need to research that), and definitely no Mathew Brodrick Godzilla either@! Just good old, traditional Godzilla Originals!

Now imagine if you will, the Tyrannid hive mind coming to earth, in the Toho movie world. They find a planet, filled with life. The human population proves to be of little threat, but the local wildlife.......that proves to be a grave threat.
The Hive mind soon learns, that this planet is home to many large and very dangerous lifeforms. All with different sizes, shapes, and forms of protection. And ruler of them all, the greatest natural weapon of the world, is the monsters king and ruler: Godzilla.

But alas, as great and powerful as Godzilla is, it cant stand the might, cunning, and brutality of the swarm. And eventually the biggest and fiercest of the mighty beasts is brought down. The hive mind immediately goes to work harvesting the massive amount of potent biomass now for the taking. And in absorbing and assimilating Godzillas body, the Hive mind realizes the true scope of what it has discovered. That among Godzillas powerful genetic code, it learns the existance of each and every other great beast on earth. The armoured Anguirus, the proud Mothra, the destructive King Ghidorah and many more. The Hive mind bristles at the thought of harvesting all of their genetic material, not just for the sheer amount of bio mass such monsters will surely yield, but for the powerful genetic superiority the creatures will undoubtedly provide for the swarm.

The Hive mind is quick to start utilizing Godzillas bio mass to create a powerful new Monster. With the combined traits of tyrannid genetics, and the strength of Godzillas DNA, the Hive mind creates a new Alpha predator. A Godzilla Hive Tyrannt! A being whole will lead this new swarm into an age of monstrous Genetic superiority, and will in turn cleave all life from this world. Monstrous, and human alike.

So thats my idea  ;D

I'm super excited for this project. Its honestly been an idea in my notebook for a year now, but because I didnt have the finances to start a new army I never got around to it. But with this nid army on the way, I figured now would be a great chance for my dream project to take off! A combination with two of my greatest passions, Godzilla and 40k. I no word of a lie have all (except one) Godzilla movies in my collection. I've been a huge fan of Godzilla since I was just a wee child. And have been collecting the movies for some years now.

The main idea of this army is that the Hive mind has killed all Godzilla monsters (except the machine ones of course) and has assimilated their DNA into each of the tyrannid broods. Each monster giving a specific brood stronger attributes. So the practical idea is to model and paint each Tyrannid brood after a different Godzilla monster, with each monster giving a certain tyrannid brood an edge over others.

I'm only average when it comes to painting, so that'll be the hardest part. But I'm sure with enough peoples ideas and help it'll turn out pretty good. This'll also give me a chance to broaden my painting skills and try out new things. So that'll be exciting!

I pride myself on being pretty good at mods and modeling new things. I'll try to keep some broods simple, but I'm sure many tyrannids will really need some work to look like their respective Godzilla monster. I'm going to keep the main focus on tyrannids though. So just a few modified bits, and the paint will be all thats needed for you to look at the model and think "yup, thats Godzilla alright".

My list of Tyrannid broods - Monsters is as follows. Now keep in mind this was made about a year ago, before all the new models and stuff came out. Also there are fewer Godzilla monsters then there are tyrannid types, so I'll be doubling up a few breeds for the sake of reason and sanity....

Alright, the List so far:

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: I have a vision.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
Hive Tyrannts = Godzilla!
--This one goes without saying. Godzilla is the king of monsters! It's only natural for the Hive mind to use his biomass for their most prized and powerful leaders.

Note: Other broods to share Godzillas DNA (and color scheme because reasons..) will be all Hive Guard broods and all Gaunt broods. The excess of Godzillas bio mass was enough to leak down into the smaller more primitive species. Mostly do to the idea that Godzilla was the first to fall, so his code was applied to a few broods to help bring down the other monsters. Also because Guards will always be accompanying the Hive Tyrannt Godzilla, and this is a Godzilla swarm, so basic nid gaunts will share the color scheme. The Godzilla hive Tyrant will of course be a different color just to stand above the rest! I'm thinking of the red Godzilla from "Godzilla vs. Destroyah". In this movie Godzilla is overheating, so hes all firey and red. Very nice idea to make him stand out from the rest of the other semi godzilla broods. Some pics below.

Tervigon = Kumonga *pic below*
--This one was alittle more tricky to peg down. I mostly thought of this combo because with the gaunt sac below the tervigon, it could look like a cool spider sac thing. Plus the Tervi already looks like a spider anyway, so why not?

Tyrannid Warriors = Gabara? *pic below*
--Not gonna lie, this one was from lack of better options. I'm honestly open to any other ideas.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 08:24:48 PM »
Genestealer = Anguirus *pics below*
--This one also was kind of hard to get initially. There are no stealthy killy godzilla monsters, not really fitting the genestealers profile anyway. At least with Anguirus, the spiky claw look will transfer easily over to the hunched over look of the stealers.

Ripper Swarms = Kamacuras *pics below*
--So hes just an ant. That's all. So why not make the actual swarmy nid brood look like ants? It'll be a simple paint and hopefully simple mod. Plus if I ever use the flying ones, flying ants are an easy crossover.

Lictor = Ebirah *pics below*
--This one was picked really early. I think a lictor with huge (maybe) lobster claws would be badass!

Zoanthrope = Space Godzilla *pics below*
--As much as it irks me to have a second Godzilla brood hounding in on Hive Godzillas thunder, it really was a lack of options. There are no real psyker like monsters in the movies. The closest is by a long run is Space Godzilla. Which can be a good thing. If I can model some cool crystal things on the shoulders and backs of a Zoanthrope, how !@#$ing awesome would that look!

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:25:19 PM »
Go for it dude! Godzilla themed nids would look sweet. To have the fluff fit the army I think your hivefleet could benefit from having biomorphs like acid blood and electroshock grubs to simulate the destructive nature of the energy Godzilla housed in his body. Having psychic powers like warp blast would help convey this as well. If you want to do a wing'd hive tyrant, you could make the wings look like energy being discharged from his back, like a tyranid jet pack.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »
Venomthrope = Hedorah *pics below*
--I really think this one has potential. The gassy foggy idea behind a venomthrope goes well with the garbagey decay idea of Hedorah. Yeah this'll be one of the harder ones to mod and paint, but It'll be worth it!

Pyrovore = Destroyah *pics below*
--This one Im semi upset about. Such a large and powerful monster being reduced to such a small brood size. But the Oxygen destroyer was best utilized as a template breathing weapon. So Pyrovore it is.

Ravener = Gigan *pics below*
--This one was alittle tricky to pick. At this point it was getting harder to match up monsters to broods. I ended up picking Gigan mostly because of the similar talon look he has.

Trygon Prime = Gigan *pic below*
--I was quickly running out of monsters to pick. So had to make a compromise for this one. Since raveners and Trygons share a similar body shape and style, I figured why not have the little guys as green Gigan, and have the big badass one as big badass Gigan! I dunno if I'll model the Trygon Prime with chansaw claws or not.............................maybe.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »
Gargoyles = Megaguirus *pic below*
--One of the few flying monsters in Godzilla, I figured the smaller flying tyrannid broods would be better suited to the smallest of the monsters. Plus the bug look will be an easy transfer.

Harpy = Rodan *pic below*
--As best as I can tell, the Harpy brood is one of the larger and more shooty of the flying tyrannids. So what better monster to pair with them then the great Rodan!

Hive Crone = Mothra *pic below*
--This one I'm super excited for! All those colors, the fir, the little miny tyrannids looking like mothras larva. I just cant wait!!!!!!! ^_^

Flying Hive Tyrant = King Ghidorah *pic below*
--Unfortunately theres one more monster gunning for control of the swarm, and thats King Ghidorah! One of Godzillas most formidable enemies has found its DNA way into a Hive Tyrant. And it its striving for second (and maybe first) in command. Modeling this will be very tricky. Because I'm gonna stay true to Ghidorahs body type, he deserves nothing less. So no arms will be on the model, just a tail (maybe legs) wings and three heads! The extra heads are really gonna be hard, but if I can pull it off, and with that sweet golden scale look, it will be magnificent.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 09:08:13 PM »
Carnifex = Orga *pic below*
--This one had a few changes before it settled on Orga. I was having a hard time choosing which big lumbering beast to pair with a Carnifex. Because lets face it, theres lots in Godzilla. But eventually Orga seemed to be a good pick. With a nice hunched over look, big smashy claws and a cannon coming out of his back, hes perfect for the roll. I cant wait to model a Carnifex with a Venom cannon sticking out of his left lower back! *squee*

Exocrine and Biovores = Biollante *pic below*
--Biollante gets two tyrannid broods because 1) hes the largest godzilla monster to exist via size and mass. And 2) his acid spitting main attack is perfect for the artillery feel of Exocrines and Biovores. The Exocrines will of course be the full large, alligator looking version, while the smaller Biovores will be the more plant like ones. A tricky build yeah, but will be fun all the same.

Mawloc = Megalon *pic below*
--This one was by far the hardest to decide upon. No tyrannid brood has drills! What am I suppose to do with that! grrrrr
It eventually fell to the fact that Megalon is a tunneling monster, so I just matched it up with the underground attack of Mawlocs. Plus the big mouth thing can be easily made into Megalons.

And so far thats all the pairs I got lined up. If anyone has any other Godzilla/Tyrannid match ups that are better sound then mine please feel free to comment and share your ideas. This is just a first draft, and I have yet to model anything. So changes can be made.

Monsters and Tyrannids that didnt make the cut (yet).
Baragon. He's kinda lame to be honest. No real interesting body type, attacks or even color to make him stand out. Dont think hes worthy of any nid brood.
Manda. A big eel...... nuff said.
Tyrannofex. He's a big mean looking bastard, but with all other options already chosen, whos left to fill the giant void that is a Tyrannofex?

And of course there's all the new nid models, the new spore pods and such. I wanted to stick to the Toho movie monsters, but if there are books or other interesting Godzilla like monsters of note, please let me know. I'll try to find them a new home in the swarm.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 01:33:07 AM »
So, an update as to what Tyrannid brood should be what Godzilla monster has been made.

While explaining my idea to my brother, we talked about the problem child in this Hive Fleet (warriors) and how they need a better monster to represent them. My brother came up with the idea and I'm kicking myself for not seeing it sooner.

*updated*
Tyrannid Warriors = MUTO *pic below*
--The MUTO from the 2014 Godzilla movie are perfect for the role of the warriors! I can't believe I didnt see it right away. Possibly because the 2014 movie isnt "technically" a Toho film, but its still a tried and true Godzilla film (better then Mathews movie at least.....). Plus this film actually has a proper new monster in it. And a cool one to boot! The MUTO and warriors share a similar body style and overall shape. The color of MUTO is pretty simple and can be applied easily (those eyes are whats gonna do it, this'll be fun). And if I model the warriors as more hunched over and walking on modified Sything talons, then they'll definitely look like MUTOs. Also the MUTOs have wings, perfect for them flying warriors  ;D 

Offline TheSoothsayer1400

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 06:43:52 PM »
old thread, but how has the progress gone on this project?
Would be glorious to see it all finished on the table!

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 05:57:11 AM »
Sadly it's still just a dream :P

Will probably be for awhile too, I'm getting layed off in June so the chances of me starting any new project is slim to nil.

The only actual models I could work on are the bid pieces from Deathstorm.
Maybe if I get some time I'll start working on them.

But for now it's all just head canon.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 07:28:20 AM »
Don't be discouraged, great ideas take time to develop and evolve. This sounds seriously fun!

Offline TheSoothsayer1400

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 12:44:49 PM »
what hillshire said. don't get discouraged! :)