Author Topic: Current Dataslates.  (Read 2013 times)

Offline epiknoob

• Battle Brother
  • If you don't ask how do you learn?
    • View Profile
Current Dataslates.
« on: December 27, 2014, 05:27:50 PM »
Where can I get the current list of legal dataslates?

Thank you for the help!
"88th . . . Roll out!"

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Current Dataslates.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
I don't believe there is such a list. Mostly because all dataslates (to my knowledge) are currently legal. Was there a specific one you had questions or concerns about?
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.

Offline epiknoob

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 07:46:09 PM »
Bela'kor the named deamon prince one.
"88th . . . Roll out!"

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:17:40 PM »
Look on the black Library Website. Has all the supplements, dataslates, and digital books.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:22:25 PM »
Battlescribe.

Its an app you can get for samsung or Apple phones pretty easily.

The app focuses around making quick digital lists, so to do so it has a rather extensive database of information. Everything to know about an armies units, stats, wargear options, formations, formation rules, escalation, apoc, dam near everything can be found on Battlescribe.

Now there are some exceptions. One being found recently is that the specific rules given for having Ork formations isnt listed. Battlescribe has the actual "listing" of the formations and which books have them, but doesnt explain what any of the special rules actually do.

But Tyrannids I can confirm have just about every formation and proper listed out rules for each one.

Just as an example I'll check formations for lets say.... Eldar. I haven't played eldar nor made any lists with them so I have no idea about their full information status.

Here we go.
So for this I'm just gonna check out formation listings, and if Battlescribe has the rules for them.
Okay so...... Eldar only have one formation listed in Battlescribe ATM. The formation is called "Ghost Warriors"

Now lets see all of what I can find out about this formation:
Total points = 960
Comes with Wraithblades and Wraithguard and 2 Wraithlords.
To my current knowledge, there are no specific rules listed for having this formation. But it seems like you can have a great deal of Wraith(stuff) on the table with this formation. So if you wanted a Bound list and wanted like 30+ wraith things then this formation would be a good option.

Okay, lets try something alittle more recent. Like Dark Eldar.

Only current listed formation is called "Kabalite Raiding Party"
Its 262 pts (bare minimum upgrades).
Has 1 Archon, 5 Hellions, 2 Incubi, 1 Ravager and one Scourge if Im reading this right.
This listing DOES have special rules just for the formation, and has it listed in the app. So the app has a full listing of this formation. If you were a DE player and wanted to try this formation, short of having the DE codex and main Rulebook you shouldnt have any troubles fielding this formation.

Parts where the listings in Battlescribe dont work are like with the Special rules for Cypher.
The app has Cyphers stats, wargear stats, even formations which have him. BUT! It doesnt actual list what his special rules DO! It has them listed. Like I know some of the specific special rules for him are called: Blazing Weapons, Divine Protection, Never Forgive, and Shadowy Herald of Strife. But I have no idea what those rules do. In the app under the special rules list, it just has the rules name. Doesnt explain what the rule does at all. Whats the point of having him if I have no idea what any of those special rules even do!

The app is always getting updated and such so some problems are bound to happen. But for me personally who plays Chaos and CSM, the app has a full listing of formations and rules for them and beyond the problems with Cypher, Its worked just fine.

Depending on which army you play, this app might have all the rules and listings for formations, or it may just have the list, but not explain anything about it. Either way the App is solid. Im extremely impressed with it, and it makes writing lists on the spot SO much easier.

I'd highly recommend it.

I'll post some pics for one of my chaos lists just to give you an idea of the UI and how much info it actually gives.

1st. This pic is just to show the lists units and for what slot they hold in the detachment. Also a quick summarized point value for each.
2nd. This one just shows how you can add things or remove them from groups of units. In this case its the listing for the Helcult Formation.
3rd. This one shows just how detailed the final list actually looks like. Rules for each model, wargear and even how strong the wargear is.
4th. This one is the tricky part. At the bottom of your final list will have the full listings of each and every special rule used in your current list. As you can see, some special rules are explained in full, and some are just blank and only have the name. It is unclear as to how the app determines if a special rule needs explaining or not. But the general rule of thumb I've found was if its a rule found in the Main rulebook, or in your army's codex, then its not explained. The examples being Fleet and Fear special rules. But at the same time it gives full explanation for the Helcults specific special rules, which would normally only be found in the actual data slate (or online if you looked hard enough). In this example the rules for "Living Idol of Chaos" and "Human Shields" which are specific to the Helcult is explained in perfect detail for your convenience.
Unlike the special rules for Cypher which would just have all his specific special rules blank, with no explanation about what they are or what they do!

So there you have it. The best option for finding out formations and potentially getting every dataslate, escalation rules, and even suppliment army rules would be found in Battlescribe. Get it NAO!!!!!!!!

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 08:06:05 AM »
As ShadowcatX mentioned, all Dataslates are legal currently.  DakkaDakka supposedly has a sticky thread somewhere that contains a list of all formations and dataslates for each army and where to find them (i.e. ebook, white dwarf, campaign supplement, etc.).  The only dataslates that really have been replaced/updated are more with Forgeworld as the FAQs for core GW do not list any of their dataslates.

As for Be'lakor, that's an ebook purchase through iTunes or directly from the Black Library.

Concerning Battlescribe - I highly recommend against taking it as an authoritative source (same with Army Builder).  Both are very good applications ( I use battlescribe constantly, myself); however, the information for each army is created by the community and may have inconsistencies/errors within them.  While it's a great tool for building armies and such, it's always worthwhile to double check the information before just presuming everything is accurate.

Offline PDzikus

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 01:35:22 AM »
Blood of the Kittens has full Detachment Compendium, but it only shows Detachments, not all dataslates (no new units for example)

http://bloodofkittens.com/detachment-compendium/

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 07:19:32 PM »
I suppose I we could technically build a list of them on this forum up in General Discussion OR in the getting started forum..
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline epiknoob

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »
Thant is a great idea xAngelicZ! have a list of all legal data slates and maybe even a list of forge world armys? just a thought.
"88th . . . Roll out!"