Author Topic: Weird technicality for allies.  (Read 1716 times)

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
Weird technicality for allies.
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:10:39 AM »
Just wondering (dont have the actual dataslate) what the deal would be for taking Assassins as allies.

Now the whole ally chart thing isnt the issue, its the deal with the ally FOG. An ally detachment has to have 1 HQ and 1 Troop choice minimum for it to be bound. Now with the assassins being all elite choices (to my limited understanding) how would that fill out the FOG for a proper bound list?

And again I dont have the actual dataslate. Just wondering about using them since their stats are just awesome. I can probably find the rules for them online, but I just wanted to know how that works for allys.

Perhaps this is explained in full at the beginning of the dataslate and I'm just being dumb (wouldnt be the first time....).

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Ramses135

• Primarch
  • Scion of Ulthwé
    • View Profile
Re: Weird technicality for allies.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 03:43:44 AM »
Well, it's rather easy. You have to stop thinking in terms of "allies"  ;)

In 7e, you build your army from separate detachments. One of them is Allies Detachment (AD), but noone forces you to use it, if you want to include units from different codex. Usually you'll use Combined Arms Detachment (CAD), which consists of the usual Force Organisation Chart. Rulebook does not know any other detachments, so for any other specialities, you'll have to look into your codex / dataslate / White Dwarf / Imperial Armour etc.

You can build your army from CAD Eldar and CAD Grey Knights, for example. Or, similar army can be build from CAD Eldar + AD Grey Knights, although you won't be able to use your Grey Knights HQ as Warlord.

Now, Assassin in their dataslate are used as a separate, unique form of detachment. They can't be used as any other known detachment, because it's simply impossible (as you said - no HQ, no Troops... that prevents you from using CAD Assassins or AD Assassins).

So don't bother with FOC. Just add one or more Assassins to your army. Allies Matrix in the rulebook gives you rules, how they will interact with the rest of your army. So if you use CAD Eldar, for example, and add your Assassins (all four of them, for example), no problem - just keep in mind, that the Eldar and Assassin part of your army will treat each other as (I believe) Allies of Convenience.
We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:56:59 AM »
Specifically they have an Officio Assassinorum Detachment, which consists of a single Mandatory Elites choice, this does mean you have to take another detachment for each Assassin after that.. alternatively you could take the 4 at once as a Formation, which is separate from all detachments and exists independently.

Still, it's easy, right^^?
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline GreyKnightGrandMaster

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:27:06 PM »
Little unrelated, but I wish they did the assassins like in the book seventh retribution, where there are more prestigious characters, and there are dumby troops to fill up troop choices,
just my thought though
"I am the hammer, I am the right hand of the Emperor, the instrument of His will, the gauntlet about His fist, the tip of His spear, the edge of His sword!"