Author Topic: Homebrew Wych Cult Formations  (Read 972 times)

Offline ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Homebrew Wych Cult Formations
« on: December 21, 2015, 08:01:59 PM »
Hello Commorrites!

Here are some homebrew rules for Wych Cult formations that I created.  I would be interested in how you all think they play.  Are the fluffy?  Overpowered?  Meh?  I play at an official GW one-man store rather than a FLGS, so I cannot really test them myself.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Wych Cult Formations
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 09:26:22 PM »
I dislike the Choir and all of the free upgrades.  Other than that, not terrible.  A few including the stacking abilities is questionable, but not to the degree that I would be annoyed to see it on the table.

Free points in Wych Cults isn't overpowered, but I don't think there's enough of a downside to these lists to be worthy of that sort of upgrade.  There's nothing here that's crazy expensive like six Tactical Squads could be or thirty Veterans or the exact dictation of a full army like the AdMech one.

And I'd add a Reaver unit to the big Formation.  If it's Wych in nature, it should be in the Core choice.  I don't remember if those Green Goblin Glider riding guys are Wych. 

I think you're on to something good here as far as home few rules go.

Offline ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Wych Cult Formations
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 01:58:21 AM »
I dislike the Choir and all of the free upgrades.  Other than that, not terrible.  A few including the stacking abilities is questionable, but not to the degree that I would be annoyed to see it on the table.

Free points in Wych Cults isn't overpowered, but I don't think there's enough of a downside to these lists to be worthy of that sort of upgrade.  There's nothing here that's crazy expensive like six Tactical Squads could be or thirty Veterans or the exact dictation of a full army like the AdMech one.

And I'd add a Reaver unit to the big Formation.  If it's Wych in nature, it should be in the Core choice.  I don't remember if those Green Goblin Glider riding guys are Wych. 

I think you're on to something good here as far as home few rules go.

Thank you so much for you feedback.  I really appreciate it.

I see what you are saying, so how about this revised version?  The changes are all in the Wych Cult formation: 6 - 9 Wych squads rather than 3 -6 and 2 Beastmasters squads with a 6 model minimum rather than 1 -3 with a 5 model minimum.  This increases the minimum point cost of the formation by 220 points and gets the size more in line with the Kabalite Raiding Party Formation.

I did not include Reavers in the Wych Cult Formation because it is not really supposed to be a "Core" choice (since Dark Eldar do not have a decurion).  Rather, my concept for the Wych Cult Formation is "Colosseum" whereas Reavers seem to me to be "Circus Maximus."  As I mentioned in the designer notes, Hellions (the Green Goblin guys) are no longer Wyches; they were back in 3rd Edition, but as of 5th Edition they became delinquent Kabalites instead.

Why don't you like the Choir?  The idea was to be a super-elite melee unit that would be a good bodyguard for a Succubus.  I think the best comparison is to a Harlequin Troupe.  Assuming minimum squad size of all Syrens with only the free (because of Formation) Wych weapon upgrade compared to a minimum-sized Troupe without weapon upgrades, the Choir will attack with 25 WS4 S3 attacks on the charge with 5 of these attacks being either shred, twin-linked or preferred enemy for 115 points compared to 21 WS5 S4 attacks on the charge with 4 of these actually being WS6 for 95 pts.  Initiative and Toughness is the same, the Harlequins will have better Ld by 1 and will have one extra wound (on the Troupe Master).  Compare also to a 5-man squad of Incubi w/ Kalivex w/ Klaive (110 pts., 16 attacks on charge, WS5, S4 AP2 better armour, worse Initiative, same Ld).  The Harlequins will have a better save getting into combat (5++ vs effectively nothing) although the Choir will have a better save during the Fight sub-phase.  The Choir will have a 75% chance (again, because of Formation) of getting a worthwhile bonus (+1A, +1S or +1T) whereas the Harlequins will always get Fear and Hit & Run.  One we start throwing in better weapons, the Choir will pay 2x to 3x as much per model as compared to the Harlequins.  As for anti-tank, both units can arm everyone with Fusion pistols although the Choir gets better options in melee since each Syren can take Haywire Grenades as compared to just the Troupe Master; however, if kill Terminators rather than tanks in the Shooting phase is sufficient, the Harlequins can be equipped to do so at 2/3 the cost.  If we max out options without caring about the Shooting phase, the Choir will cost 265 points for a min squad after giving everyone Agonisers and Haywire Grenades whereas the Harlequins with Caresses and a Haywire Grenade on the Troupe Master will cost only 140 points.  If your dislike of the Choir is the fear that the unit is over-powered, I don't think it is because it becomes expensive.  An equivalent unit could also be Ork Meganobs (also 3 attacks base) which would cost 40 points per model compared to 53 points per model for the Syren where the Orks may come out ahead (if we believe that the better toughness, save and extra wound makes up for the worse initiative 1 fewer attack and lack of Melee invul save).

Regarding all of the free upgrades, I assume you mean in the Mean Girls formation (since Wych Cult Weapons on 1 in 3 aren't that good).  The model I used was the Aspect Host Formation from Codex: Craftworlds where every unit got either +1WS or +1BS along with a Ld re-roll for free (because I am assuming that one would take an Exarch anyway).  How much is this Aspect host bonus worth?  5 points per model?  That is after all how much a Wych Cult Weapon costs, or Rending Claws, or a Refractor Field  A Venom Blade is 10 points but that is a 2+ Poison rather than a 4+.  Moreover, an Aspect Host Formation is a formation in its own right, and can be taken apart from a Craftworld Warhost.  I therefore do not think that the Mean Girls Formation is unbalanced because equivalent bonuses are given at equivalent cost in the Aspect Host Formation.

Again, thanks for your feedback, and let me know if you think my revision to the Wych Cult Formation is more to your liking.