Author Topic: The POWAH Of Chaos: Chaos Terminators  (Read 3659 times)

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
The POWAH Of Chaos: Chaos Terminators
« on: February 22, 2016, 03:22:13 PM »
Kind of an informal curiosity- how are my fellow Chaos Lord running their chosen terminators? I'm starting to really warm up to power weapons vs. fists as more and more they are going against infantry like targets over multiple targets like infantry, MC's, and vehicles.

All power weapons?

Single power fist?
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
Re: The POWAH Of Chaos: Chaos Terminators
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:20:06 PM »
Had an idea with chaos terminators. Run them Al Kabong style with power Mauls, a few combi meltas and a heavy flamer. Give them mark of Slaanesh as well as Icon of Excess. Run em into combat and they'll survive a slobberknocker for a few rounds thanks to the feel no pain. Str6 makes them wound quite consistently against even space Marines. They'll shut down the new Wulfen, and they'll put a dent in a squad of power armor. Hammer and shield terminators might be able to handle them though.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Pink Tentacle

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:35:24 PM »
I like to bring at least one unit of Termies to each game. I have three loadouts that I use depending on the points value. Here they be:

187 points - 5 Terminators, 3 Combi-flamers/meltas, Heavy Flamer, Melta Bombs on the champ, Power Mauls on everyone for sweet S6 beatings. This is my Termicide unit. Not particularly cheap, but it gives me a good DISTRACTION that can handle many different units. I have a friend who plays Necrons and likes to use Scarab Swarms, unless he sees this in my reserves. Your mileage may very.

235 - 4 Termies, 3 with Dual Lightning Claws, Lightning Claw and Chainfist on the Champ, Mark of Slaanesh and Icon of Excess. This is my retinue for a Land Raider riding HQ, currently a 177 point Slaanesh Lord with Termie Armor, Claw/Fist and a Sigil of Corruption. Including the 235 point Dirge Caster'd Land Raider, this is a typically over priced deathstar with many ways to be shut down from across the table, but hilariously good when it makes it into combat against nearly anything.

292 - 5 Termies, Chainfist and Heavy Flamer guy added to the last unit. I use this unit as a combination deathstar/DISTRACTION while Lucius the Eternal rides around in a Dirge Caster'd Rhino with 9 CC equipped Noise Marines, Doom Siren+Power Sword+Melta Bombs on the Champ. Rhino hides behind Raider till it can make it to an occupied objective, then makes that objective less occupied. I like this combo because it makes my opponent unsure of which threat is the biggest, unless I'm playing against the one guy that still runs Deathwing. Then my Noise Marines are pretty useless.

In my opinion, Terminators are a fun unit that must be invested in heavily to attempt to make back their points, and even then you are gambling on them doing so before dying and losing a massive chunk of your own army's points value. They aren't as terrible as the internet has been telling me for years, but they do require some forethought as to how you might get the most of out of them.

Had an idea with chaos terminators. Run them Al Kabong style with power Mauls, a few combi meltas and a heavy flamer. Give them mark of Slaanesh as well as Icon of Excess. Run em into combat and they'll survive a slobberknocker for a few rounds thanks to the feel no pain. Str6 makes them wound quite consistently against even space Marines. They'll shut down the new Wulfen, and they'll put a dent in a squad of power armor. Hammer and shield terminators might be able to handle them though.

Ha, you beat me to it!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:43:56 PM by Pink Tentacle »

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:58:34 PM »
Sweet ideas!

I'm really trying to break out of the loyalist mindset of just thunder hammers for terminators- which is how I usually run my Black Templar termies. I need to not port-over those experiences to my chaos counterparts and really look at them with a fresh perspective.

I don't mind the points or all-or-nothing with them- its part of the allure and taste of chaos glory!

Besides...if they die quickly, then their faith in chaos was obviously lacking...
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 05:05:02 PM »
Yeah, my BT terminators are hammer and shield with claws on the sergeant. Chaos terminators come cheaper and have more flexible options. I figure as long as I can keep a squad of terminators at about 200 pts its a fair price tag.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 06:29:49 PM »
Four Terminators, one Axe, one Fist and Heavy Weapon, two Swords or Claws as points or modelling allows.  Mark of Slannesh and Icon of Excess of course.  Add in a Lord with either the Burning Brand/Lightning Claw or the Murder Sword or occasionally the Spinesliver Sword from Black Legion.  If I am running Huron Blackheart, Huron gets the Land Raider though and I'll add more Sword bodies to the Terminators and Deep Strike them in for high risk/high reward shots.  I will usually give them combi-plasma for that since I want them to appear and murder something.  But I always use a Lord in there to pump up the damage dealt to the enemy.  A good old fashioned beatstick delivery.

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 06:38:39 PM »
Rerolls fix everything. No matter what kit you give them getting rerolls boosts the squad so much it hurts. There are many ways to skin this cat, but boosting this squad in combat is a no brainer. Dark apostle or sorcerer? My favorite termites have claws and rerolls to hit, and if you really wanna lay the hurt, combi flamers and claws. Add the reroll to the charge and not many things stand a chance. The flamers also keep the unit free from cheap tar pits. Just my opinion though
So many books, so many Burning questions.

Offline SidjostromPrimarch DCLXVI

• Battle Brother
  • Preaching Word of The Dark Gods since 007 M31.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 06:16:28 PM »
I find that power mauls against everything barr space marines are really effective on a terminator squad as they give you the strength boost that power swords lack while still allowing you to strike at initiative. Land Raiders while awesome to take in 3s aren't especially  points effective when you consider how easy they are to kill with not only meltas but a fast moving assault unit. Picture this: Deep striking two or 3 minimally sized terminator squads (3/4 per squad) with them all being equipped with combi plasmas.  While deep striking is risky in theory you should have a decent chance of weakening or eliminating the nearest threat to the terminators with the pure volume of plasma shots so thus amplifying all three units ability to get into assault , which should always be the ultimatum you're looking for of course. If you attempt this with one unit of 5 it won't work as you'll only have 10 shots at the maximum from rapid fire however with 3 units of three you get up to 18 shots but not only that but you drastically increase the likelihood that at least some of your terminators will get into combat. The opponent would waste too many shots attempting to deal with three separate units as apposed to one perhaps even discouraging him/her from shooting at the terminators in the first place. I would usually run this bare bones with power mauls (and the combi plasmas of course) however mark of tzeentch is always a valid option if you have the points. In short using three units to eliminate a single threat allows for tactical flexibility in threatening the opponents rear/flank with dangerous assault units.

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 11:34:23 PM »
Personally, of ALL my times fielding Chaos Termies, the only time I truly had fun (and laughed my ass off) was a simple yet completely idiotic and ballsy move.  5 Man terminator squad, all with combi-flamers, and one heavy flamer.  Mark of Nurgle, and power scythes (axes in 40k).  Just wen for that good old fashioned Death Guard look.  Just drop them in a nice spot literally in the enemy lines (2 inches from any enemy model).  Got damn lucky and stuck the deep strike roll...flamered everything, causing horrendous casaulties to mulitple units all bunched together.  Then on the enemy's turn...watched him cry as he had to roll 5's to wound them.  Was totally worth the points, since they were only supposed to soak up fire for the 10 man squad of VotLW, Slaaneshi Warp Talons that dropped in  on the same turn.  He literally bought it and threw everything (AND the kitchen sink) at them....and only one died.  Soooo gloriously worth it when those Talons tore an entire 10 man tactical squad to pieces, and the Termies tore apart his Predator.

Other than that...I don't like using them too much anymore.

Offline verbalunderbelly

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 09:30:15 AM »
I really like a mix of models - I like giving them mark of Tzeentch for the 4+ (even though I run a mono Nurgle army I feel the resilience is appropriate).

I go for combi bolters and power mauls on most of them and then either heavy flamer and power fist or combi melta and chain fist depending on what I want from them. Not particularly optimal but they look good on the field.

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 10:13:36 AM »
Awesome models, love the mix of bitz on the terminators.

Offline verbalunderbelly

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »
Thanks Fritz, I hand crafted the combi bolters by smushing two normal bolters together =)

It's good having a mix of AP4 and AP2 in the group.

Offline tomjashroom

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 12:36:31 AM »
Iv been running a 6 man squad lately just to try it out with combi plasma and sorcerer. It did well one game I rolled endurance becaue it saved a few wounds but idk if its really as good as taking spawns.

Offline WarpTonE

• Neophyte
  • What is dead may never die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 08:15:09 PM »
My death guard never leave home without at least one meaty terminator retinue for my lord. 2 axes, 2 p fist chainfist/heavy flamer. opted to keep combi-bolters to keep em cheapish. My lord runs LC/CF SoC in term armor. so they basically pick on infantry until something big that needs smashing gets close. also have a combi-melta/cf termicide squad for big game hunting.
What is dead may never die.

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 07:09:44 AM »
With the exception of a reaper autocannon, I always go pairs of lightning claws on my Death Guard terminators.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/