Author Topic: I like to WAAAHHHH?  (Read 1957 times)

Offline KiltedPete

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
I like to WAAAHHHH?
« on: May 28, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
So I am currently building and painting a 500 point ork army (my first 40k army). So far I got
20 boys- 120
Painboy -50 (joins the boys)
10 storm boys - 90
Warboss -60
3 depcopptas 90
3 bikes - 54
I will fill the rest by adding nobs and powerclaw to boys and bikes (might have to take out a boy or 2 to make it under 500

So I know storm are bad, but I want an army who wins or loses (more like loses) fast. As I build the army, I would like to make it so a crap ton of things charge while mek gunz and such bombard from the back. And also use a crap ton of gretchin for securing objectives. So, is the above army something people won't totally laugh at or am I doing anything illegal?

Also my fluff is that my orks have a viral infection. It is rumored that an ork once when easy or a pink skin, and then himself started to turn pink. Being the fungal race that they are it began to spread. All other orks avoid this group for fear of catching "Ze Pink." And those who catch it will fight even fiercer to prove that they are not pink.

So my orks skins will be a mixture of green with pink dots, appendages, and even all out pink.

So... whatch ya think?

Pete the Plaid
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:15:41 AM by KiltedPete »

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: I like to WAAAHHHH?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 04:00:57 PM »
Well, it is illegal if you're looking for a Battleforged army.  A CAD requires two Troop choices and I can't remember any Ork Detachment that lets you use just one.  If I'm forgetting something, let me know.  If you're going Unbound, nothing is illegal.

While you have a lot of bodies, you have nothing to reliably kill a Rhino or Dreadnought or other AV11+ unit.  You can very likely still win the match by ignoring that unit just by sheer numbers alone, but you require a lot of luck to get the Deffkoptas to kill whatever your opponent might bring.  I personally like Lootas for this.  S7 is no wet noodle and they can put down a lot of shots.  Consider it your temporary Mek Gunz bombarding from the back at these lower point games.

Offline KiltedPete

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 10:54:14 PM »
Aight, I can drop the storm boyz for another 10 boys and the other troop choice will be Gretchen. I find the idea funny to either use them as a cover save or just to place them on a point.

I also am curious about decking out nobs on bikes and giving every other one a powa claw, then attached a pain boy on a bike. My only fear is with so much of my points in these guys that if they go down all I can do is plink with rockets and such. While I know that orks aren't very strong right now, the friend who is getting me into the game is all about cheese. (at least from what I read on the forums about the elder/tau) Anyone got a reference for a strong builds at 1000 and 1850?

Pete the Plaid

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 08:06:46 PM »
Your list is focused on being points efficient.  Biker Nobs are not at all efficient at such a points Level.
While you could use a little more stuff in you list to, as was pointed out, fill the holes. You do need to take some time to sort it out. To help with that, if you have a list building program like Battle Scribe, try to build 500 points of each of the other armies to get an idea of just what you have to worry about.
I'm mostly thinking about how many models and support they can bring vs what the Orks can bring in such a small point game. Why take boys when for 70 points you can have two grot mobs for troops and then every thing else. at 500 points, do you need a warboss or a Weird boy/ warp head.
I like the MSU approach to Orks in such a low points game. Cunningly Brutal. While not Brutally Cunning. Heck a Deff Dred is only 80 points and can represent it self far better when not faced with any serious enemy competition.
Heck, a Dakka Jet or a Blitz Bomber might represent a savage advantage in a game of only 500 points. I think you have the right idea, a good mix of units to let you fight, move and score objectives.
Hope this was in some way helpful.

Offline KiltedPete

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 10:33:41 AM »
Yea, it is very helpful. Thank to google, I now know what MSU approach is and I like it. And thanks to ebay I have 45 gretchin coming in for cheap. Though I don't look forward to painting them, I really like the idea of having a crap ton of little squads running around the board. I am a little concerned about the killy ability of my army so far, especially in higher point game, but I am sure it will look better with lootas or tank bustas.

So what do you think of this?
4 groups of grechen 140
10 boys - 60
dread - 80
warboss - 60
3 defcoptas- 90
3 bikes w/ nob w/ big choppa- 69
For a point total of 499.

So grechen run up as screen for boys and also tie down objectives. Boys do what boys do. Dread tries not to get dropped round one. And bikes and coptas skirt to the side trying to flank or grab fast objectives.

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 01:31:43 PM »
Nice score on the Gretchen.
Just paint one mob at a time so you don't get too sick of them. You could do a few colors and some dark nasty wash on them and..Being Gorts, it'd look fine.
With 5 troop choices you have plenty to let you move up in points. I mean just add 500 or more points you your army of just cool killy stuff. Watch where you spend your points and play as best you can.
Orks aren't easy but can give you some fantastic games if your practiced and know the rules. focus on what you can do and laugh at other armies as you steal objectives.
I had a mob of 20 Shoota boys nearly trample down a Storm Surge last week. it can be done. I just needed more boys who weren't at hand. Lootas and Mek Guns are a good investment as your army grows. So is a stompa for much bigger games. Packed with Burna boy to keep it up and running. I mention it because as I see it it's the most cost effective super heavy in 40K. being only like $115.00 usd. Ebay for the win!
Beastly Best of Luck to you and you WAAAGH!

Offline KiltedPete

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 01:02:16 AM »
Thanks DeffBoss, I really appreciate the info.

So, I have been trying to paint the 500 point army, and I thought I would throw it up on here just to make sure I am not going to get laughed out of the store when I bring it in. (Remember, I am a super novice painter)