Author Topic: Shooty Slaanesh Noise Marines 1850pts  (Read 2063 times)

Offline nautilas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Shooty Slaanesh Noise Marines 1850pts
« on: June 29, 2016, 06:06:13 PM »
I'm currently updating my Slaanesh Noise Marine army, and I'm thinking of taking it in a more shooty direction. Here's what I have so far:

++ Chaos Space Marines: Codex (2012) (Combined Arms Detachment) (1841pts) ++

+ HQ (150pts) +

Chaos Lord (150pts) [Terminator Armour, Power Sword, Burning Brand of Skalanthrax, Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord]

+ Elites (245pts) +

Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought (245pts) [Butcher Cannon, Butcher Cannon]

+ Troops (728pts) +

Noise Marines (182pts) Noise Champion [Combi-plasma], 4x Noise Marines [Replace Boltgun w/ Blastmaster]
Chaos Rhino [Havoc Launcher]

Noise Marines (182pts) Noise Champion [Combi-plasma], 4x Noise Marines [Replace Boltgun w/ Blastmaster]

+ Fast Attack (230pts) +

Hell Blade (115pts) [Two Helstorm Autocannons]

+ Heavy Support (488pts) +

Deimos Pattern Vindicator Tank Destroyer (130pts)

Obliterators (228pts) [3x Obliterator, Mark of Nurgle]

My general thoughts are that the Tank Destroyers, Marines and Dreadnaught deploy using cover and LoS to shoot down field. The Dreadnaught acts as a bullet sponge keeping fire off the other units. The rhinos can disembark and objective grab if possible. Hellblades are cheap anti-air from reserve. Oblits+Warlord hold back and deep strike where needed (clearing backfield objective holders or expensive MC/tanks).

I've also been considering the Chaos Decimator Daemon Engine instead of the Contemptor Dreadnaught. With Butcher Cannons they work out the same price. Though it has less BS, the Daemon Engine has a better Inv++ vs. Pens, can shrug off Weapon Dest/Immobilise hits on a 5+ and can respawn on a 6+ when it goes down. Anyone have any experience with this beastly machine?

Thoughts, changes and suggestions much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 07:02:53 PM by nautilas »

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Shooty Slaanesh Noise Marines 1850pts
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 07:58:46 PM »
MoS Lord can not join MoN unit.  Going to have to rethink where to put him, but that atleast frees up the Terminator Armor points.

I'd strongly consider making Huron Blackheart your Warlord, and having a minimum cost Slannesh Lord for Noise Marine Troops.  The Infiltration of even just one unit of Noise Marines is a big benefit.  All three would be great.  It's a tactic I use often and well with my Chaos.

Why no Sonic Dreadnought?  Blastmasters that shoot twice might not be the MOST needed thing, but I personally have a soft spot for them.  I'd tend to take them over just Noise Marine squads if possible.  Worst case, the enemy focuses on it allowing your other stuff to do their job for longer.  A target like that is fun bait to dangle.

I gave the Decimator a try via proxy but I was less than impressed.  It was too many points for me to shrug off when it died.  And I am the most sacrificial with my Chaos but it still hurt a bit too much to lose.  The Contemptor suffers from the same problem, but the BS really does make a difference.

Offline nautilas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:24:13 PM »
MoS Lord can not join MoN unit.  Going to have to rethink where to put him, but that atleast frees up the Terminator Armor points.
Woops. I'll need to rethink that then and get anti-tank/anti-obsec in the backfield some other way

I'd strongly consider making Huron Blackheart your Warlord, and having a minimum cost Slannesh Lord for Noise Marine Troops.  The Infiltration of even just one unit of Noise Marines is a big benefit.  All three would be great.  It's a tactic I use often and well with my Chaos.
Huron would work really well in my assault list (I think I'll work him into that one for sure), I worry I have no supporting delivery mechanism in this list currently to get him to CC.

Why no Sonic Dreadnought?  Blastmasters that shoot twice might not be the MOST needed thing, but I personally have a soft spot for them.  I'd tend to take them over just Noise Marine squads if possible.  Worst case, the enemy focuses on it allowing your other stuff to do their job for longer.  A target like that is fun bait to dangle.
Hmm, true. At 175pts can get a BS5 3 Str8 hits per turn with 2 of those being blasts. Might be the better bet than 8 Str8 BS4 hits.

Stripping out the contemptor, lord's wargear and the oblits I have 550pts to play with to get similar but better outcomes. I guess I'll have a rethink.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:27:43 PM by nautilas »

Offline nautilas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 12:40:06 AM »
Here's 2 options based on suggestions above:

Option 1 CAD 1848pts

+ HQ (105pts) +

Chaos Lord (105pts) [Sigil of Corruption, Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord]

+ Elites (380pts) +

Sonic Dreadnought (190pts) [Blastmaster, Missile Launcher, Warp Amp]

Sonic Dreadnought (190pts) [Blastmaster, Missile Launcher, Warp Amp]

+ Troops (873pts) +

Cultists (145pts) Cultist Champion, 29x Cultists [3x Flamer]

+ Fast Attack (230pts) +

+ Heavy Support (260pts) +

Here everything deploys and castles up, shooting downrange with a lot of high Str firepower. Optionally keep the chainfists on the dreads to counter-punch if needed. Lord joins the cultists and hides behind them holding an objective like the little --- he is.
---

Option 2 CAD 1849pts

+ HQ (150pts) +

Chaos Lord (150pts) [Terminator Armour, Power Maul, Burning Brand of Skalanthrax, Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord]

+ Elites (481pts) +

Chaos Terminators (136pts) Terminator Champion [Combi-melta, Power Fist] 2x Chaos Terminator [2x Combi-melta, 2x Powerfist]

Chaos Terminators (136pts) Terminator Champion [Combi-melta, Power Fist] 2x Chaos Terminator [2x Combi-melta, 2x Powerfist]

Chaos Terminators (209pts) [Mark of Slaanesh] Terminator Champion [Combi-melta, Power Maul] 4x Chaos Terminator [Heavy Flamer, Combi-melta, 2x Combi-flamer, 4x Power Maul]

+ Troops (728pts) +

+ Fast Attack (230pts) +

+ Heavy Support (260pts) +

Here the termies Deep Strike doing some Termicide tactics looking to dish-out anti-tank/anti-obsec dmg in the backfield.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:43:32 AM by nautilas »

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 03:53:56 AM »
First list, hands down is a better list.  I have never been able to do Termicide the way it's meant to be used, nor have I seen it done well in the competitive meta that I play in consistently enough to write home about.  It's the "only" way to run Chaos Terminators, but the best of a group of bad options is still a bad option.  KDK mitigates it somewhat, not a fan of how it does it but I see the benefit, but that's not an option here.  Whereas in the first list, you lack mobility but the big players in the mobility game, the bikes, will have to deal with Ignores Cover up the wazoo.  You'll struggle against Flyrants, Wraithknights and Warpspiders, but you have the bikes as easy prey.  Dark Angels will cry, that's for sure.  I'd keep the Chainfists because I like the look and the S10, with four attacks base if the new FAQ affects CSM Dreads, is better than a single shot of S8 AP3.  That might change later but for now, I have to go with what makes me happy and Chainfists are friggin cool.

I think I'd drop a Noise Marine unit for those Oblits back.  Yeah, they're not Slannesh, but they give you a tactical flexibility during deployment that you're otherwise lacking.  If you see something you don't like on the other side of the table, Deep Strike, and if it's smooth sailing, deploy them on the table.  This is a huge benefit that has saved my games more often than I can count since I always make lists beforehand, even for pick up games.

Gameplay-wise, I wouldn't castle too hard on the first list.  Find the points for Dozer Blades for the Rhinos and move forward at a nice pace, offload the Noise Marines wherever and swing the Rhinos wide so they can take Objectives.  Rhinos die when things look at them, but you have so many threats in list 1 that they shouldn't have time to look.  The Dozer Blades reduce the risk when you smash through terrain to score Linebreaker or pesky cards in Maelstrom.  People underestimate the Dedicated Transport game when you're not in a Gladius, but play the same concept and you can take players by surprise.

Online minavonlustern

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 08:57:09 PM »
you can just drop the mark on the obliterators. mos is obviously useless on them so just run them unmarked [just model them as slanneshi]. in Warhammer Visions a couple of months ago were some amazing slaanesh obliterators made with centurions and helbrute parts with a lot of green stuff. amazing noise marines too made from chosen and cacafonix heresy upgrades. also - why not sonic blasters on the noise marines? and a doom siren on the champ or a banner for fnp? expensive, but maybe worth it

Offline nautilas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 03:46:18 AM »
you can just drop the mark on the obliterators. mos is obviously useless on them so just run them unmarked [just model them as slanneshi].
Mostly because at T4 they can easily be Insta-deathed. I take them with MoN or not at all, I feel T4 on a 70pt model is not worth it.

also - why not sonic blasters on the noise marines? and a doom siren on the champ or a banner for fnp? expensive, but maybe worth it
Mostly for min-max purposes. I'm using these MSU units as ablative wounds for my Blastmasters. I have a Choppa style list with assault Noise Marines with Noise Marine Champs with Doom Siren/Power Sword, which is great yes. But in this list the Doom Siren would be a 15pt WoD overwatch item only. Maybe if I play enough games where these Marines get assaulted to death I'll add it for AP3 overwatch.

Icon of Excess is too expensive for 5 man units (6pts per man for a 1/6 save). It will only make points back on a 12+ man unit. Not worth taking in this list. If I was running 3 12x Noise Marine Squads with 2 Blastmasters in each, then yes I'd take it as it'd cost 2.5pts per man and statistically save 2 of them, making back its pts.

Sonic blasters, partly b/c it is expensive ($$) to model that many Noise Marines with them. Partly because I want to keep these units cheap pts wise, a) so I don't mind when they die, b) can afford other toys in the list and c) they don't offer anything I can't already get: i.e. ignores cover or massed anti-infantry shooting. A regular boltgun is cheap and gets the job done, no need to put expensive toys on grunt foot-soldiers.

in Warhammer Visions a couple of months ago were some amazing slaanesh obliterators made with centurions and helbrute parts with a lot of green stuff. amazing noise marines too made from chosen and cacafonix heresy upgrades.
I'd love to see those Oblits. I'm always down for some quality conversion work.

The Kakophoni are cool, I use them as my blastmasters:

Apologies the lighting sucks in my place at 8pm! But these guys are all modelled up and ready for painting.

Online minavonlustern

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 07:00:23 PM »
here they are

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 02:47:43 AM »
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline nautilas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 06:16:28 AM »
Holy wow, those are awesome! Thanks for sharing.