Author Topic: I'm back  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
  • I have been collecting and playing 40k since 1996
    • View Profile
I'm back
« on: July 14, 2016, 03:56:53 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been away from 40k for awhile, divorce, finding a place to live, spending my life on the edge of bankruptcy, fighting for child custody. etc.

Anyways, I have managed to get the odd game in here and there and I have probably still managed to get in 1-2 games per month and now that is going to change. The army I had the most fun with in that time were my Grey Knights. The big issues I find they have are some long ranged punching power. I lack the ability to effectively pop vehicles and mow down medium to heavy armoured targets. I find the Grey Knights can deal with most other threats quite easily. That ranged fire base is really what I find I am lacking.

What I am thinking is running some Cult Mechanicus either as Allies, Main or taking a Formation of some from. Both the Grav units and the Haywire units can deliver the punch that I would need and have the range and some decent durability to back them up.

So curious as to who may have taken some of these units with a Grey Knight Army and how they fair in doing the job of ranged punching power. Also keen to know of the pro and cons you had with this type of set up.

Thanks in advance.

Offline goodguy

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: I'm back
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 10:00:13 AM »
I actually picked up a bunch of Skitarii models when they first came out specifically to ally with my Grey Knights. Then War Convocation dropped and all hell broke loose so i haven't actually gotten any games in yet. That said I slapped this list together after reading your post. I'd been building a librarian bomb list and was trying to fill it up with purifiers. Linking that up with a Skitarii maniple could be pretty devastating. Here's my rough draft, feel free to pick it apart. A lot of the stuff in here is based on those two ideas and on (mostly) the models I have at this time:

Skitarii Maniple:

2 Ranger squads, 5 man w/ 2 arquebus each

2 Ironstrider Ballistarii w/ twin liked auto cannons, squadron

3 Onager Dunecrawlers w/ neutron lasers, squadron

Nemesis Strike Force:

Librarian

Terminator Squad, 5 man w/ psycannon, 2 halberds, hammer

Purifier Squad, 10 man w/ 4 incinerators, hammer, 3 halberds

Stormraven

Dreadknight w/ teleporter, heavy incinerator, Gatling psylencer

Dreadknight w/ teleporter, heavy incinerator, nemesis greatsword

Comes out to 1850 on the nose.

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 11:51:59 PM »
This is kind of the direction I want to move in.
I will obviously need to tweek some bits and pieces.

I am even thinking of dumping the Interceptors and throwing in a Storm Raven. It's a tough choice. Bodies or fire power???

Also trying to find the points to get that Libby up to Mastery Level 3.

The tactics behind this is are quite simple. The Cult Mech & Libby sit on the Skyshield and work as a firing platform. they can target vehicles and heavy armoured targets. (These squad would actually work wonders with Cotaez)

The Grey Knights go in and hammer the front lines. I tooled up the NDK's to focus on hitting Infantry with shooting. I have actually been finding the Gatling Psilencer so be my best weapon system. There seems to be more and more MC's out there and the ranged Force Ability seems to be worth its weight in gold.

The Interceptors and Strikes are my multi tool. I can either use them to take, hold or camp on objectives or I can rush them in with the rest of the horde or I can park them on home base as a counter assault unit. (Would really like to find the points to get Psycannons on them as using them as screen to block assaults from in coming assault units is a great job for them. typically there types of units come to me so the short range isn't a big deal. In shooty lists I can just Deep Strike them and they can punch into my opponent's back lines.

Any way this is what I am thinking so far. Any tweaks or tactics would be appreciated. Thanks.

-GREY KNIGHTS CAD-
HQ- Librarian, ML2, Storm Bolter
115pts

T- Grey Knight Strike Squad
1x Justicar Sword
2x GK Incinerators
7x GK Swords
220pts

1x Justicar Sword
1x GK Psycannon
3x GK Swords
125pts

FA- Interceptor Squad
1x Justicar Sword
2x Interceptors Incinerators
7x Interceptors Swords
260pts

HS- Nemesis Dreadknight
Personal Teleporter, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Incinerator, Nemesis Greatsword
220pts

HS- Nemesis Dreadknight
220pts

HS- Nemesis Dreadknight
220pts

FORT- Skyshield Landing Pad
75pts

-CULT MECHANICUS ALLIES-

HQ- Tech-Priest Dominus
105pts

T- Kataphron Destroyers
4x Kataphron Destroyers, Heavy Grav Cannon, Phosphor Blaster
220pts

T- Kataphron Destroyers
220pts

2000pts

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:55:37 PM »
I actually picked up a bunch of Skitarii models when they first came out specifically to ally with my Grey Knights. Then War Convocation dropped and all hell broke loose so i haven't actually gotten any games in yet. That said I slapped this list together after reading your post. I'd been building a librarian bomb list and was trying to fill it up with purifiers. Linking that up with a Skitarii maniple could be pretty devastating. Here's my rough draft, feel free to pick it apart. A lot of the stuff in here is based on those two ideas and on (mostly) the models I have at this time:

Skitarii Maniple:

2 Ranger squads, 5 man w/ 2 arquebus each

2 Ironstrider Ballistarii w/ twin liked auto cannons, squadron

3 Onager Dunecrawlers w/ neutron lasers, squadron

Nemesis Strike Force:

Librarian

Terminator Squad, 5 man w/ psycannon, 2 halberds, hammer

Purifier Squad, 10 man w/ 4 incinerators, hammer, 3 halberds

Stormraven

Dreadknight w/ teleporter, heavy incinerator, Gatling psylencer

Dreadknight w/ teleporter, heavy incinerator, nemesis greatsword

Comes out to 1850 on the nose.

This looks like a nice build.
Not too spammy either. Would probably be quite safe against comp score. No comp though would be a very different story.

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 10:00:47 PM »
So overnight I had a think about my list and I tweaked and changed some things.

I am seriously lacking in bodies but hey that how GK's play

Depending on what type of list I will be facing The Libby will be with either the 10 man Terminator unit or the Mechanicus. If they are with the Terminators I will go for invisibility if they are with the Mechanicus then I will roll on Divination. I will probably roll 1 dice and take the primas then roll on the GK chart to get Santuary to boost the skyshield Invo save.

The small squad of Terminators will be my tactical unit that can change to depend on the mission. they can either camp on an objective, push forward with the 10 man Terminator Blob, Deep Strike in basically do what ever the mission needs to get the win.

2000pts GREY KNIGHTS & CULT MECHANICUS

-GREY KNIGHTS CAD-
HQ- Librarian, ML3
135pts

T- Grey Knight Terminators
1x Terminator Justicar, Halberd & SB
2x Terminators, Halberd & Psycannon
7x Terminators, Halberd & SB
390pts

T- Grey Knight Terminators
1x Terminator Justicar, Halberd & SB
1x Terminator, Halberd & Psycannon
3x Terminators, Halberd & SB
195pts

HS- Nemesis Dreadknight
220pts

HS- Nemesis Dreadknight
220pts

HS- Nemesis Dreadknight
220pts

75pts

-CULT MECHANICUS ALLIES-

HQ- Tech-Priest Dominus
105pts

T- Kataphron Destroyers
220pts

T- Kataphron Destroyers
220pts

2000pts

Offline LordPathos

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 11:32:40 AM »
My Grey Knights are going to be partnered with Sisters of Battle. Even thought they don't have a ton of long range (outside the Exorcist) but they have vehicle popping down. Could always go with an Imperial Knight too. I think it's the Crusader that has the 2 guns instead of 1 gun and a chainsword/gauntet.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 05:30:13 PM by LordPathos »

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 07:00:15 AM »
This is how I want to run my Gray Knights as well if I run allies and thats with Sisters of Battle!

Inquisitions, Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle... They should all be part of the SAME codex.

Offline LordPathos

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »
I just don't know how to feel about these armies as a whole. Thier old 3rd edition codices were pretty neat that they allowed allies before it was a thing. They were practically the same codex as Witch Hunters were SoB+Inq and Daemon Hunters were GK+ Inq. All inquisition options were practically the same the same too. I didn't really like the Inquisition half but you needed it to field the Assassins. When the 5th edition GK codex came out were you weren't forced to bring Inquisiton AND you had the option to pick which ordos they were from, I thought it was a neat concept and that they should have done a all in one Ordos codex.  It's not like the SM codex doesnt have a billion different chapters in it with their own special rules and equipment. But at the end of the day, I like a dedicated GK codex and wish they update the SoB one.

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 02:43:25 AM »
So I played 2 games Saturday night.

The first game I ran the list above. The second game I ran a different list. I will post it when I get to it.

Some pro's an cons of the list.

Cons
1. GK Toops suck.
I am really not a fan of Terminators in 7th. They blow over to a stiff breeze. The 2 units faired well but they are such a points sink and really don't offer a lot of damage out put fo their points investment.

2. The Libby really doesn't need to Mastery Level 3.
I found since the Libby wasn't in the think of it he really only casted Divination. The only other powers I cast were Sanctuary for the NDK's.

3. Bodies were an issue.

Pro's

1. The Librarian
He was mostly safe from giving up Slay the Warlord, He basically just buffed the Destroyers so didn't really need any other wargear or upgrades.

2. You could get away with 2 squads of minium Troops as there was a ton of hitting power with the rest of the force. Use the points for something else to add more punch.

3. If you have an objective in the home set up area you can stick the Skysheild over it and the CM's can hold it.

4. The CM were quite a good force. They did fill a lot of holes in the GK's force.

Automatically Appended Next Post:
So this was the list I ran in my second game.

2k (Boot & Guns) GREY KNIGHTS & CULT MECHANICUS

-GREY KNIGHTS CAD-
HQ- Librarian, ML2
110pts

1x GK Justicar Sword
2x GKs Psycannons
6x GKs Swords
1x GK Hammer
250pts

1x GK Justicar Sword
2x GKs Psycannons
6x GKs Swords
1x GK Hammer
250pts

HS- Nemesis Dreadknight
220pts

HS- Nemesis Dreadknight
220pts

HS- Nemesis Dreadknight
220pts

75pts

-CULT MECHANICUS ALLIES-

HQ- Tech-Priest Dominus
Raiment of the Technomartyr
135pts

T- Kataphron Destroyers
220pts

T- Kataphron Breachers
6x Kataphron Breachers, Heavy Arc Rifle, Arc Claw
300pts

2000pts

I combat squaded the Strikes into a squad with 2 Psycannons and a squad with Hammer and Justicar. The Justicar and Hammer squads camped behind terrian and held objectives. In my home line.

What I found was having not a lot bodies visible on the board was not that fantastic. Luckily I was against Necrons so they were kind of short ranged so I did get smashed to quickly.

The NDK's just tore through them and the shooty squads also ripped them a new one. It was a very one sided battle. The 2 Psycannon squads both died the turns they arrived and I lost 3 guys from 1 other Strike squad. All three NDK's were on 1 wound at the end of turn 5 and we rolled a 1 so the game ended. It in my favor from the beginning. His plane's came in 1 turn after the other so my Haywire guys combined with having Snap Shots on BS2 and Prescience up each turn tore them apart with a lot of ease. That squad was actually a bit too bulky and 4-5 guys would probably be enough.

I will do up another list using 2 minimum strike squads with Incinerators as Troops and then use the rest of the points on something else maybe some Interceptors or a Storm Raven. Definitely something punchy.

Offline LordPathos

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 09:41:13 AM »
I think the 30k Terminators, that can be used in 40k, are 35 points each. I don know thier rules but I think I heard they are better than current Termies. Makes me sad since GKs should technically be the best out of all SM ever.

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 11:59:06 PM »
I think the 30k Terminators, that can be used in 40k, are 35 points each. I don know thier rules but I think I heard they are better than current Termies. Makes me sad since GKs should technically be the best out of all SM ever.

I have to agree with you sadly.

You would think that they would issue their Terminators with Storm Shields or at least give them that option.

Not to mention Drop Pods
Purifiers are possibly  the best unit in the codex but they have no way of being delivered to where they need to be so sadly become a huge points sink.
That being said I don't want to derail my own thread and turn it into a rant thread.

Offline LordPathos

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 07:01:27 PM »
Well not to get your hopes up, but to try to make you feel better, I saw this a while back:

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2016/04/40k-and-aos-rumors-blood-angels.html

While I don't give into rumors, especially from faeit, this would make me happy being a GK and Nid player.

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 06:22:17 AM »
This is great news if true since I also have a massive Ork army.