Author Topic: imperial fists sternhammer strike force help!  (Read 2321 times)

Offline strawberry fist

• Initiate
    • View Profile
imperial fists sternhammer strike force help!
« on: November 13, 2016, 09:33:56 AM »
Hello all,
I new to the forum and would like some help with my imperial fists. I generally run the demi company with other formations added on and usually play 1500p games. The armies I keep seeing frequently are eldar and SM. I just want to make a balanced list that could taken on them both. thanks for the help :)

Demi Co.
Captain-
carapracti armour and power fist

tactical squad- 10 men
melta, heavy bolter rhino

tactical squad- 10 men
Grav, heavy bolter rhino

tactical- 5 men
lascannon

bike sqaud- 3 men
combi grav and 2 grav guns

centurian devastators- 3 men
sgt las and missile
2 grav cannon

1st company
carapracti terminators- 5 men
chain fist
heavy flamer

chain fist
heavy flamer

sternguard- 5 men
rhino

got a selection of models that can come and replace things in the list.
Also contemplating increasing the army to an 1850 point level as well :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 09:35:38 AM by strawberry fist »

Offline strawberry fist

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: imperial fists sternhammer strike force help!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 10:21:40 AM »
or is this kind of build going to be more effective? (1500 points)

Captain-
carapracti armour and power fist

tactical squad- 10 men
melta, heavy bolter rhino

tactical squad- 10 men
Grav, heavy bolter rhino

tactical- 5 men
lascannon

chain fist
heavy flamer

sgt las and missile
2 grav cannon

sgt las and missile
2 grav cannon

Thunderfire cannon

Offline Jgrows

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: imperial fists sternhammer strike force help
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:09:29 AM »
Strawberry fist
Your list(s) look pretty good, I also run the sternhammer strike force.
I have a couple of comments that I'll let you think about.
I personally don't like grav in my tac squads, I encounter the movement penalty too often and find that I'd rather have a plasma gun, especially when my grav needs can be filled by other options.

I do like the heavy bolsters in my tac squads, even though you are snap firing the TLHB.
Occasionally I like to put a full tac squad in a drop pod to let them rapid fire a squishy target down.

I originally modeled my centurions to be the same as yours but have found that I largely leave out the LCs and just take 3-4 grav cannons w/hurricane bolters. I usually have my captain join us his squad just in case something gets them into an assault. Additionally, I like to run a dread naught close by to screen for this unit and try to assault any units first or assault in just after (usually is what happens).

I really like the Thunderfire Cannon, this unit usually makes its points back and in my meta has become a priority target.

I don't have much experience playing against SM, my area is pretty tainted by Chaos, but a buddy of mine does play Eldar. This is what I took away from those games so far.
   Assault the D-cannons with a tac squad, the D-cannons are analogous to you grav centurions awesome shooting subpar combat. Your tac squad can easily tarpit those wraithguard for multiple turns.
   Don't let the wave serpents get close, I usually go for the transports first and make the occupants walk through my fire lines.

I hope my ramblings helped and gave you some things to contemplate.
Good hunting

Offline strawberry fist

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 02:18:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback JGrows, thinking of running the first list can swap the rhino for a drop pod but would it be better against Eldar if I swapped the grav for a flamer for that squad?

Against marines I see your point about grav on all the centurions but what about when facing Eldar?

For making this an 1850 does this sound viable;
Drop the rhino from sternguard and put in a knight paladin. How does that sound?

Offline Jgrows

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 07:59:17 PM »
It is really up to you, flamers are a good choice against Eldar.
Another route you may consider is putting your stern guard in the pod, trick them out with combo-meltas and you have a decent AT group turn 1.

I still prefer grav on my centurions when facing Eldar, because a lot of players run wave serpents. These transports have a shield that reduces all penetrating damage to a glance on the front or side armor.  I feel as though that this effectively negates the incentive to bring the las Cannon in favor of more grav. The grav can ignore that special rule because grav can never penetrate. When grav rolls a "6" then it automatically immobilizes the target. If another unsaved "6" is rolled by the cents then instead of taking 1 hull point 2 are taken instead. So to wreck a wave serpent the squad would only need to role 3 sixes minimum. The odds are pretty good that you can get that considering the volume of dice and the rerolls due to grav amp (or tank hunter, depending on how you read the grav amp rules).

If you are playing against a lot of aspect armor then bolters and your TC will be able to do some work, but if you are playing against a wraith host then the grav is nice because it can ignore the wraiths relatively high toughness.

The nice thing about Decurions is that if you need/want more points take another auxiliary formation. So you should be fine to scale up to 1850.

In regard to your question about the night I don't really know, I don't have one. Also I don't know if you bring one if it will make your list "unbound"

Cheers

Offline strawberry fist

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:02:03 PM »
There generally isn't a lot of wraith models but occasionally the wraith knight and always reapers and those pesky D-cannons so maybe using a d.pod on tacticals could be the way forward. Just need to eliminate the D-cannon, reapers and tanks ASAP.

If I'm reading the codex right, then I can have one knight as a formation. It should soak up a lot of fire before being destroyed saving most of my other models.

Offline Boot40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 03:57:13 AM »
Sweet list.

When going sternhammer over say gladius then I like to maximise its special rules - bolter drill i.e. Sternguard. The twinlinked special ammo is just too good, reliable AP3, 2+ poison for high T or AP2 models, 30inch range AP4 (non-power armour troop killer), ignores cover

My list: -

BATTLE DEMI COMPANY
Cataphractii Terminator Captain + Auspex - 125 (goes with devs)

Attack bike + Multimelta - 50

10 man Tac Squad + Melta + Combi Melta + Drop Pod- 195
10 man Tac Squad + flamer + rhino + dozer blade - 185

5 man Dev Squad + 4 Grav + drop pod - 245

1st COMPANY
10 man Sternguard + drop pod - 255

Thunderfire cannon - 100

Offline ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:26:37 PM »
Sweet list.

When going sternhammer over say gladius then I like to maximise its special rules - bolter drill i.e. Sternguard. The twinlinked special ammo is just too good, reliable AP3, 2+ poison for high T or AP2 models, 30inch range AP4 (non-power armour troop killer), ignores cover

My list: -

BATTLE DEMI COMPANY
Cataphractii Terminator Captain + Auspex - 125 (goes with devs)

Attack bike + Multimelta - 50

10 man Tac Squad + Melta + Combi Melta + Drop Pod- 195

5 man Dev Squad + 4 Grav + drop pod - 245

1st COMPANY

Thunderfire cannon - 100

I think this is a great list. Perhaps you could replace 2 of the Grav-Cannons with Plasma Cannons to split the difference when it comes to stuff that grav is weak against, then replace the Thunderfire cannon with a Vindicator (with siege shield and storm bolter [to give you a 50% chance of having a Weapon Destroyed not suck]) for a more powerful shot that is more mobile (to keep up with your mechanized infantry), then throw the last 5 point into an Armorium Cherub for your devastators.

Offline strawberry fist

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 07:13:30 PM »
Would it Ben better to drop 4 men from the tactical pod and add them to the dev's for wounds so the grav can cause more damage?

Offline Boot40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »
Yea that is a much better idea.

I have been toying around with cutting all tac squads to five and shoehorning in 2 more thunderfires.

Have you found any units you like or don't like in your list

Offline strawberry fist

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 05:00:17 AM »
Boot40k, I do have to say that I do love my centurians (2 grav + bolter, sgt with las and missile), thunder fire cannon and the carapractti terminators just need to include them all in a list :)

Going to have a look at restructuring my list but always feel quite constricted by the Demi company :(

things I want to include in the stern hammer are:
grav centurians
thunderfire cannon
carapracti terminators
possibly small unit of 3 grav bikes with 2 grav guns and 1 combo melta
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:15:28 AM by strawberry fist »