Author Topic: Adepticon 2017  (Read 1976 times)

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Adepticon 2017
« on: December 07, 2016, 11:42:43 PM »
Once again I've registered for Championship, Maelstrom, and Team at Adepticon. I had lots of fun with all three last year and am hoping to advance further up the rankings this year.

But first, I'd like to register a complaint. Or at least whine a bit.

Both Championship and Maelstrom limit each player to 1-2 detachments.

For an Eldar, Tau, Khorne Daemonkin, War Convocation, or even Space Marine Gladius player that's no big deal. But for someone who wants to play a smaller codex like Deathwatch, it's a big deal. You were already likely to ally in Space Marines to cover your weak spots (range, durability, lack of grav cannons, lack of cheap troops, etcetera). But we're in the age of multiple formations. You can no longer just take an Imperial Knight in your Lords of War slot. That's a separate detachment now (unless you're taking one of the select Forge World ones). Or you want to try something fun like Sisters of Silence or Custodes.

Just feels like we're being locked into the monolithic builds if you're running Space Marines. Pretty much all of the Xenos and Heretical armies should be fine since they haven't broken down into a bunch of mini-dexes anyway.

I have to wonder if that's effecting ticket sales for Championships. Pretty much all of the other Adepticon 40k games have either sold out or are nearly sold out. Except Maelstrom which shares the same list building rules with Championship. That's at 19 spots left at the moment. Championships has over a hundred spots left open. 100+!

When lest restrictive tournaments are selling out within hours with increasing numbers of slots available, I don't think that's a good sign for Adepticon's Championship game.

Other restrictions include no Death from the Skies as well as the psychic powers from Angels of Death and Traitor's Hate. While those could be factors, I think it's the limit of 1-2 Detachments that's dampening enthusiasm.

On the plus side, maybe this increases my chances of reaching top 16 . . .

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Adepticon 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 03:57:45 PM »
Semi-Full Disclosure: I do not speak for AdeptiCon, though I am a volunteer working in the 40K events. I run the Maelstrom event.

Couple of things I know:

The champs has never been the central event at AdeptiCon, and the Maelstrom is in its second year (and, ostensibly, only exists to provide a competitive 40K option on Friday, when every other 40K event is either 'friendly' or 'thematic'). The champs has 148 players signed up--for a tournament that starts on a Thursday night, in March, in a Chicago suburb. The Maelstrom's army building rules are purposely tied to the Champs so that players that don't advance to the finals can drop into the Maelstrom without changing anything with their lists.

The Team Tournament is the crown jewel (and bell-weather) of 40K at AdeptiCon: Currently, there are 100, 4-man teams signed up for it. This is ahead of where ticket sales for the TT were this time last year.

See you there! :)
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:43:08 PM »
Hey DCannon4Life, thanks for the response. Also, thank you for running the Maelstrom event. As I briefly mentioned, I had a lot of fun playing the Maelstrom event last year. I thought the build-a-deck concept minimized the problem of unattainable objectives while allowing the players to literarlly stack the deck in their favor. I particularly liked how you could make adjustments for each game. I felt like the quick thinking were rewarded for adapting to their opponent and the mission while keeping their own army's strengths and weaknesses in mind. I'm hoping its' something along those lines for this year too.

Agreed that the team tournament is the main event. That's what first got me going to Adepticon. And I'm happy to return to play along side my friends. But Maelstrom is what I'm looking forward to the most since I have the most control possible over my army via list building (not to mention sole command) and the mission via deck building.

In second place (to me) is Championships. I don't have the depth of experience, knowledge of key armies, nor the command of the rule set to be a top player but I'm working toward that goal. While Championships isn't the flagship and has the disadvantage of being on the weekdays rather than the weekend, it's still a prestigious tournament which has attracted many top players from around the world.

I've enjoyed each of my runs in Championships and don't have any complaints about my past experiences.

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to the events!

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:06:26 PM »
Up to a point, I don't even mind the 1-2 detachment restriction. Makes for an interesting theoretical challenge. I had no problems with the Highlander tournament a few years back, made for a fun challenge. But that was a whole different era then.

Limiting players to 1-2 detachments is going against the grain of how GW is currently designing their game. GW is presenting us with a buffet of formations and mini-dexes which can be mixed and matched while Championships is basically trying to throw us back into 6th edition where there are only two options. I am surprised that a modern major event would fundamentally reject GW's building blocks design for army building. This feels like Old Hammer, which could make for a solid alternative event, but shouldn't be Championships.

It's good to hear that Championships has attracted over a hundred players but I could have sworn it wasn't that long ago that you had to register as soon as it opened to even have a chance of buying a slot. I'm nobody special but pretty much every tournament I've gone to, small or large, has been filled to capacity. I can't help but wonder if people are just electing to skip Championships because the list building rules are too disconnected from the current state of the game.

Whether they change it or not, I'm sure it will be well organized with fun missions. I'm trying to be optimistic about it. But part of me is wondering whether or not to get a refund and have to take off less days from work. My crew is exceptionally well trained and can perfectly well run things without me but management acts like any time a lead isn't around, their crew will burn the buildings to the ground.

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 09:08:17 AM »
Hillshire,

Thanks for the kind words re. Maelstrom. ;D Fun fact:  I pitched my Maelstrom to AdeptiCon as potential Champs missions for 2016, as an adaptation of 2015's full-deck Maelstrom. They decided to go a different direction, dropping all elements of Maelstrom from champs missions, but gave me green light to run a small event. I believed that I had found solutions to the biggest problems of full-deck Maelstrom and really wanted to see it played. Glad you enjoyed it.

There is little point arguing that the most popular 'form' of 40K right now is multi-detachment. At the same time, I think there is little point arguing that the most abusive (where abusive = having access to, and using, the most imbalanced units/rules in the game) 'form' of 40K right now is multi-detachment. Please note that I don't say 'most imbalanced form of 40K'; imbalance is inherent (at the codex and unit level) and unavoidable. But abuse can, to some extent, be mitigated by limiting the number of detachments. Does it result in more 'fun' or more 'variety'? I don't know. But I think it does cut down on some serious cheese.

And it's true that you used to have to get into the champs right away, but back in the day the Friendly, the Long War Doubles and the Horus Heresy events either didn't exist or weren't very big. All three of these events are sold out, with waiting lists. The HH event has a waiting list that is bigger than the number of slots allotted to it in the first place....

Cheers!

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »
Hopefully you guys seem some variety in the lists. When I went a few years ago it was the taudar days, with only 8 cron players and 4 Grey knight players. Flying circus won championships and team tournament that year.

I hope to go again in the future.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 12:31:25 AM »
A big part of playing in a major tournament is guessing the meta and adjusting your army to compensate. So here are my guesses as to what we are likely to see. I would love to see what other people think as well.

1. Daemons. Oh my goodness, daemons. Daemons in CADS, Daemons in formations. Quite probably both. Daemons are in no way harmed by restrictions of 1-2 detachments since they would only ally with Chaos Space Marines anyway and if you're running Daemons, you probably don't even want them. And with the new version of Blue and Pink Horrors, we have a new best troop choice in the game.

2. Space Marine Gladius or Battle Company of the White Scars and Iron Hands varieties (others are certainly possible but these are among the strongest and most common). These are also unhindered by 1-2 detachments.

3. Tau. Also unhindered by 1-2 detachments.

4. Genestealer Cults. Again, unhindered by 1-2 detachments. These can be a fun/unpleasant surprise for many armies out there.

5. Dare I say it . . . Chaos Space Marines! Traitor Legions is a great book with lots of potential. Adding Daemons should be no problem, even with restrictions.

6. Eldar. Also, completely unhindered by 1-2 detachments. While they haven't gotten any new hotness, they should still be able to hold their own.

What do you guys think?

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 04:39:04 PM »
Quick update to the meta list.

6a. Eldar gets a new Triumvirate. Hard to see how this won't improve Eldar's chances

7. The arrival of Cawl could be a big boost for Mechanicum armies and increase their prevalence.

I think I've got my list hammered out. At least until something new and shiny comes out. Also, there are a few things I want to see how Adepticon rules.

St. Celestine (I'm not convinced she's worth the points but I've always enjoyed using her and now she's even better)

Castellans detachment with bikes and Coteaz (grants ObSec)

Skyhammer

Basically, the bikes are scooting around looking for trouble. When they find it, the call down St. Celestine and the Skyhammer!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 04:44:07 PM by hillshire »

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 10:00:05 PM »
First up, congratulations to the Maelstrom team! Only 3 slots left! Almost sold out!

But the big news of the day (actually, yesterday, but anyway) is that Championship has expanded the number of detachments from 1-2 to 1-3. Seems like this is the result of the Fall of Cadia. Castellans pretty much lets you mix a bunch of Imperial stuff together anyway, including things like Imperial Knights and Assassins, into a single detachment. So that leaves only a few codexes at a disadvantage, such as Grey Knights, Deathwatch, and Legion of the Damned.

As I discussed earlier, many of the hard core lists weren't all that fussed by the 1-2 slot limit anyway so I'm thinking this is a good thing.

There were probably other factors in their thinking as well.

Ironically, I had finally settled on a list that morning. Might stick with it anyway since it's pretty solid but this will give me something new to think about.

I think the Castellans is a particularly good benefit for Sisters of Battle. Opens up a lot of options for them.

I've been trying to come up with Deathwatch list that was competitive and counted as that faction for ITC. With the two source limit, I couldn't make it work. Deathwatch are just too points intensive. I'll give it another shot with a 3 detachment list.

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »
@hillshire

Thanks! Also: Remember that the army construction rules for the Maelstrom will be exactly the same as the Champs. Champs Primer missions should be up soon (no exact date/time, but soon).

Cheers!

-DCannon

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 01:14:11 PM »
Maelstrom primers are up (Champs primers too)!

http://www.cvent.com/events/adepticon-2017/custom-19-2d340c75da4a4db9b294e1de9e02b44c.aspx

Under "Primers & Scenarios"