Author Topic: What fortifications would you recommend?  (Read 624 times)

Offline Yoosh24

• Initiate
    • View Profile
What fortifications would you recommend?
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:00:13 AM »
I've been wondering about getting some fortifications for a while now but I'm a little unsure on what to get. I play a word bearers army and was planning on getting an aegis defence line to deal with flyers with the quad gun. Although is there any better options for well rounded defences? So should I bother getting some extra fortifications on top of the aegis defence line or leave it at that, let me know what you think.

Thanks, a 40k nooblet

Offline Ragimund

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: What fortifications would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »
I've used the Aegis line with space marines and imperial guards, and found it utterly boring (because it prevented units form moving out and thereby losing a game-phase) and the quad-gun underperforming (at least against Helldrakes).

Seen as you play Word Bearers, it might be an idea to 'chaosify' some guards into renegades and use a Hydra in an allied detachment, if you are not planning to use a drake yourself.

I cannot tell you anything about the other fortifications, because I haven't used them. I prefer to use the points for more mobile units ;).

What fliers are you expecting to encounter?

How much terrain do you use in your games?

Have you considered Rhinos as mobile bunkers?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:45:37 AM by Ragimund »

Offline Yoosh24

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 12:17:15 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.

Currently I am rolling with the heldrake cos it's too good not too and the thought behind the aegis defence line is to leave my havocs there with my defiler. The often flyers I come up against is flyrants (usually 2), ork jets and IG valkyrie's, as those are the armie my friends play and whom I play with most often. What Astra miltarum stuff with skyfire would you recommend instead of the aegis defence line?

Thanks, Yoosh the Noob

Offline Ragimund

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 01:03:36 PM »
The Aegis line might work well with those units. And the quad-gun is quiet threatening against AV 10 flyers. My experience might differ from yours, so by all means, try it out ;).

I guess I put to many units behind the line. My first build was a 6th edition dark angels gun-line with a banner of devastation. The second was a 'standard' guardsmen gun-line. Both packed quiet some firepower, but the effective range was a little to short for my taste.

The Hydra tanks look very nice for their point cost. A single one is cheaper then the upgraded defense line and two of them cost 15 points more then a single mortis dreadnought. The armament is the same though.

I can imagine that a drake with hades autocannon can be a potent anti-air unit, but the baleflamer is just too good to miss out on.