Author Topic: Celestine's Indomitable Faith Saintly Blessing  (Read 518 times)

Offline Jetboy69

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Celestine's Indomitable Faith Saintly Blessing
« on: February 02, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »
Ok, the new rules for Celestine are out, and they are a big boost from her original rules.  One of the many cool abilities is to give saintly blessings, especially the Indomitable Faith Blessing.  This gives Lords of War, within 12 inches of her It will not die for the remainder of the game. 

Unfortunately this poses a problem.  The rule for saintly blessings states that it effects only non vehicle units.  But the Indomitable Faith blessing states that it effects only Lords of War.  However, looking at the Castellans of the Imperium Detachment, all the wars of lords are either Imperial Knights or one of The Baneblade configurations.  But as the rule reads, she can,t bless either of those units.  It is my belief that the rules as attended is that she would be able to give it to the knights, but that is not how the rule reads.  It appears that a lot of the babble on the net would agree.

My question is simple.  If she can't give it to the Imperial Knights, who can she give it to?

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Celestine's Indomitable Faith Saintly Blessing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 02:54:30 AM »
The Saintly Blessings are specific to St. Celestine, not the detachment. So, Castellans of the Imperium isn't required. Also, the Blessings are not limited to just her detachment but effect any Imperial non-vehicle unit within 12" of her. Therefore, Indomitable Faith could be used for Imperial Lords of War from her detachment or any other detachment within your army.

So, let's say you selected her to be an HQ for an Ultramarines CAD. Then she could grant IWND to Marneus Calgar.

Or maybe St.C is an HQ for Castellans detachment and you've allied in a Grey Knights Nemesis Strike Force. Then good ol' Draigo could gain IWND.

To me, the main issue is points committed. IWND on Draigo is a pleasant bonus for a Draigo/CentStar but that's 685 pts min for Draigo, St.C, and 3 Cents w/grav. That's well over a third of the points of an 1850 list for a single "trick". Which may be worth it if St.C is using her time well (maybe leading some Interceptors in a merry chase of smashing things) but too much to simply make 3 grav cannons more durable.

Some people freaked out about how much durability St. Celestine adds to a Deathstar. But they seemed to have forgotten or not noticed that you'd have to drop 200 pts from that list to put her in. Could still be worth it but some were simply adding in her special rules without sacrificing any of the Deathstar or its supporting units.

Anyways, I hope that helps.

Offline Jetboy69

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Celestine's Indomitable Faith Saintly Blessing
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 10:37:27 AM »
Thanks for the help on that.  IT is good to know that she can give the blessing to models in other detachments. 

I am returning to 40k. I had not played since the early 90s.  This Lord of War thing is new to me.  I was under the impression that the Imperial Knights and the Banehammer tanks were the only Lords of War.  I did not know about the character LOWs.  I will have to consider if that part is worth it.