Author Topic: WOW... the new Gathering storm book  (Read 2145 times)

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
WOW... the new Gathering storm book
« on: February 09, 2017, 05:44:12 AM »
We are all powerful... holy crap!

So many new combos.

You want a Toughness 6, 5+ FNP, 2+ armour save prtected by Harlequin veil of tears... aND has 3 x -2LD items that can force fear or leadership tests at about -6 to LD... CHECK!

You want to take 4 x black guardian, deep strike in turn 1 with 30 - 40 rending and melta weapons within 9" of your target with NO SCATTER and obliterate CHECK
- for salt, add a craftworld eldar cloudstrike formation with fire dragons that comes in to join it turn 2 NO SCATTER. Make sure you take the Autarch for the 2+ rolls btw!

You want to take most units for all 3 armies in a yneed force... Eldar with access to poison weapons, jetbikes galore etc... WOW! CHECK

Very very very cool! Especcialyl when you add formations, aspect hosts and other units that are normal formations in the books so you dont loose their rules... CHECK CHECK CHECK!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:48:24 AM by mcphro »

Offline DanielBonke

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: WOW... the new Gathering storm book
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 09:32:52 PM »
You are not joking, this seems over the top powerful.
I will reserve judgement till I see it on the tabletop. It gives you incredible bonus' for fielding an undivided eldar army.
The one that stands out the most is the ability to gain your choice of an additional,movement,shooting or assault phase if you destroy a unit within 7''.That coupled with your cloudstrike unit is incredible.You could have mutiple squadrons drop in with dire avengers and fire dragons. the dragons nuke a vehicle, they get to shoot again.The dire avengers nuke a unit they do it again.

Offline DanielBonke

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 09:37:01 PM »
Soulburst is the new rule. And any unit within 7'' of a destroyed unit may take the free action. Each particular unit may only soulburst once, but they can all contribute the firepower and then when a unit is dead you can pick one that hasn't soulburst...rinse and repeat.

Offline Gibbert

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 06:55:11 AM »
Well at least guardians will get a little more love instead of the scatter bike spam 😂

Online Bjarki

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:33:28 AM »
sounds cool, but i'd have to test this stuff myself ^^°

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 05:59:34 AM »
Yes, it will come down to tests, but I think there are some rules/ abilities that are just gorgeous:

1. Forces of Ulthwe: they are Eldar, not Ynari. If you contain 4 units, you can deep strike from turn 1.
- Therefore if you have an Autarch in your army, you will come in on a 2+.
- So therefore most times you will get 3, if not all 4 units on the table deep striking.
- So, you want to go second. They DONT scatter but you cant place models within 9" of any enemy models. BUT, They are Eldar with Battle focus. So, you cant PLACE models within 9". But you should be able to battlefocus run then shoot into the opposition. That means:
a) At least 2 flamers or melta guns
b) it means you can spread out after deep strike, hopefully into 4+ ruins cover.
c) If they are guardian units you are allowed to add a heavy weapon platform
d) THE BEST THING - your allowed upto 20 in a unit for 11pts each. 80 - yes 80 guardians with 160 rending shots within 9" of the opposition? YES PLEASE!
- Can you imagine trying to get rid of 4 squads of 10 (32 shuriken catapults = 64 shots) rending AP2 shuriken weapons and 8 melta guns sitting within 9" of your force in 4+ ruins? How much do you have to commit to deal with that sort of force. The main army I think about here - Is Tau. Getting rid or riptides or markerlight units that will make you feel pain later on.

2)Yvraine - you must put her into a unit. She has a 4+ inv save with 3 wounds. The Visarchs willbe str 5 AP 2 however so he can really hurt a unit in hand to hand with his I7. But the GEM is the YNCARNE. Id buy all 3 just for him. I10, can jump onto the field if a unit dies.
- That can be from either side. so lets see. You turbo boost a Windrider unit into his forces 48" turn 1 (perhaps next to the 4 guardian squards you just deep struck in), but close to 4+ ruins save. The opponent destroys in in his turn. You might even give up first blood.
- But now you have a W5, I10 S6 armourbane, fleshbane, soulblaze, WS 9 MC in his face, with 3 psychic levels and a 5+ feel no pain. If you include the guardian squads, he now has "how many units to deal with?". On top of that,  They are all fearless. And your not allowed to charge in the turn he appears.. opps sorry, since he appeared in your opponents turn you are free to act no it is your turn.

This isnt even going into other formations and the soulburst actions they can receive.

Online Bjarki

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 09:26:08 AM »
Another nasty thing is if you put the Wraithbone Host next to him, worst case scenario for the enemy: T6 stormshield terminator-equivalents with FnP and Wraithlords with FnP, i shudder to think on using this ^^°.

I must say after glancing over the book, i am kinda hyped on trying the Ynari warhost.

I had a bad feeling about this book after seeing GWs trailer but after reading it i think this is a cool development, especially if you are like Skari and me, who use the different forces in together anyway.

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 04:30:37 PM »
I can also see me taking allied sisters of battle just to throw in the new celestine as well. Aldari yneed army with celestine the avatar black guardians and cloudstrike formation would be nirvana

Offline Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 12:00:05 AM »
So far, I find that Yvraine and Visarch and the formations very meh at the moment except for Ulthwe Strike Force and the Ynnari Reborn warhost. Those 2 are really good an opens up a lot of funny things.

Imagine having a pure Ulthwe Strike Force army, that consist of all deepstriking no scatter War walkers? (See the stupidity already? XD)

But there still are some rules conundrums that need to be answered:

<U>Soulburst</u>
Does soulburst overwrite the normal limitations when triggered? For example:
- Can you charge using soulburst if you infiltrate/deepstrike/Yrncarne teleporting? (if you can't do this then the Yrncarne is only gonna die to grav on the turn it appears and everything else under the sun unless you teleport him at the end of the opponent's shooting/assault phase and close enough that you can actually assault next turn... so not easy to achieve exactly)
- If you turbo boost using soulburst, can you then shoot in your shooting phase?
- If you move using soulburst, can you then shoot heavy weapons?
- If you run using soulburst, can you then shoot/assault in its respective phases?

Since they are all one faction, can they now start the game embarked on each other's transports? (Fire Dragons embarked in Venom)

Just some food for thought...

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 05:06:41 AM »
I have to say that I really hate the new soul burst rule. For a game that is already complex enough and that many claim needs streamlining this adds so many new strange situations and rules conundrums. Not to mention being ridiculously overpowered...
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline Morollan

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 05:07:31 AM »
The Soulburst questions do indeed need answering but I think the transport issue is easily answered as they are units with the same faction either from the same detachment or a different detachment. The FAQ says:

Q: Can units from two Detachments with the same Faction embark in each other’s Transport vehicles during deployment?
A: Yes.

Offline LordPathos

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 11:38:16 AM »
If you take the Ynnari detachment with a Wraith Host, you lose Battle Focus, right?

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
Yes you loose it

Online Bjarki

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 08:26:20 AM »
Well to be honest, outside of the Craftworld Formation, Wraith-units have no Battle Focus either ^^°

They really just loose their Ancient Doom rule and that is it, wich i'd gladly trade for the Soulburst.

Offline Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »
Sadly Dark Eldar lose Power from Pain which is kind of important for them where Battle Focus is kind of a meh whatever the units are still solid without it. Making a lot of the Dark Eldar stuff kind of bad to take besides their transports.