Author Topic: GK kill team without restrictions  (Read 368 times)

Offline leE7_G4M3r

• Battle Brother
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
GK kill team without restrictions
« on: March 04, 2017, 12:55:10 PM »
In my local gaming group, we play kill team sized games (200 points) but we do not utilize the kill team restrictions or rules. I know that Grey Knights would be massively handicapped at this points level, but I would love to field them. So, if you could only take 200 points of Grey Knights, what would you take? I am currently considering taking a beefed up Dreadknight, but I am scared I may lose a few friends if I do so.
  • Orks, Dark Eldar, Imperium.
WAAAGH!

Offline goat99

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: GK kill team without restrictions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 06:30:50 AM »
Do you play your units as they come, or does each model count as an individual unit? (so, for example, a 5-man Terminator squad has to stay in unit coherancy)
Because if so, taking 5 purifiers would mean you have 10 warp charges on the field, along with the possibility to cast up to 5 cleansing flames (if you are lucky)
  • Grey Knights, Tyranids
Praise your GOVERLORD!...Goaverlord?...Goaterlord?...Whatever, just fetch me something to chew on...

Offline leE7_G4M3r

• Battle Brother
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:33:21 AM »
Sadly, no. We use regular 40k rules, but at a kill team point level. That sounds like it would have been awesome, 5 cleansing flames at 200 points, I think I might try to change the rules a bit  ;) What else would you bring?
WAAAGH!

Offline goat99

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:30:18 AM »
The problem with Grey Knights in Kill Team is that our cheapest infantry unit (Strike Squad) costs 110 points, which means we can only ever bring 1 single Squad of any unit, in addition to a couple upgrades or a transport.
As for what to take, you actually have quite a few options.

You could go for 6 or 7 Interceptors, kit them out and use your mobility to kite slower units with less firepower at range with your storm bolters (most rapid fire weapons need to be within 12 inches to be on par with your rate of fire). If you stay just within 24 inches at all times, you should be able to pick off a model or two at a time, while only letting your opponent fire with a few of his own models. Finally, you can quickly turn things around and get into assault quick.

Fielding a single Dreadknight is definently also an option, however, as you said, it might lose you a few friends... :P

Another way to go is to get 5 to 6 Purifiers, and stick them in a transport. If you go Razorback, I'd recommend giving them flamers, so they can get out, flame, and have some fire support to back them up. If you go for the rhino, grab them a double Psycannon and unload shots on them until they get close enough to get in range of cleansing flame.

Full Mech is another way to go, grab a Dreadnaught a Razorback, some upgrades, and poof, your done. You could also be a REAL jerk and take a Stormraven for 200 points. Now THAT will make people rage.

I don't recommend a Purgation or Strike Squad, because at 200 points, anything they can do, Interceptors (Deepstrike) or Purifiers (Psycannons in a Rhino) can do better.

Finally, you could go full FLUFFMODE (As I would ;D) and grab a 5 man Terminator Squad / 3 man Paladin Squad, kit them out with crazy wargear, and really feel that 1-man elite army aesthetic that makes us Grey Knights such special snowflakes.
  • Grey Knights, Tyranids
Praise your GOVERLORD!...Goaverlord?...Goaterlord?...Whatever, just fetch me something to chew on...

Offline leE7_G4M3r

• Battle Brother
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »
I think I will go super fluff mode (5 termies) until I get some more models. Besides, everyone loves a fluffy army!
WAAAGH!