Author Topic: Are Shooty Terminators Better than Simple Tac. Squads  (Read 926 times)

Offline TheSeb44

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Are Shooty Terminators Better than Simple Tac. Squads
« on: April 12, 2017, 01:25:25 PM »
So, you can assault with terminators for effect, but if you want that why not just run Assault Terminators. Therefore, why ever put regular terminators in your army? They seem to be a poor compromise between Tac. Squads and hammers and claws on assault Termies.

I have a Landraider redeemer that is searching for a position of meaning in my army, and I'm thinking about what to put in it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 05:28:03 PM by Hawkeye299 »

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Are Shooty Terminators Better than Simple Tac. Squads
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »
Eight Bolter shots and either an Assault Cannon or Cyclone have a good place in an army as a fighting force in and of itself and can be supported by other things very smoothly.  The idea isn't to tie up a unit and prevent other shots on later turns, which is always a risk when Assaulting, but rather to hem something in with the full army, hitting it simultaneously with another unit or just keeping something in a good position to get shot. 

Hammers and Claws make one of the best bully units in the game, and because of that, they rarely make their points back because their targets are usually weaker than they are.  Standard Terminators have that variable role that means while they still won't make their points back, they can do something else modestly while accomplishing a non-kill point oriented goal.  Assault Terminators are sitting around with their claws up their backsides if they're not actively in a combat.