Author Topic: Ork Dream Unit  (Read 3961 times)

Offline brianstockel

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Ork Dream Unit
« on: April 28, 2017, 06:40:15 AM »
I've recently began collecting Orks and I'm loving the models. I appreciate the help I've received thus far from this forum, Quark at Mini Wargaming and Striking Scorpions 82 on YouTube as they've helped me "play test" models before I buy them and figure out what will work, and what will not.

From a purely fantasy prospective, I'm curious what is the single Ork unit you would purchase and field if cost weren't an issue (both points and monetary). With Games Workshop saying they are going to come out with rules for every model they have from both Forgeworld and the normal site, I see this as a prime time to nab one of those little used models because no one wants to buy the Imperial Armour books or some other obscure rule set.

I look forward to your comments!

DeffBossGitKrusha

Re: Ork Dream Unit
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:55:19 AM »
That's a good question.
Maybe I'd use a Nobs mob more. I think I've used them less than 10 times over the course of the 5 editions I've played Orks. They just cost too many points for my tastes.
Right now I'm excited to see how Gorkanauts have changed. I have several, I hope their points have come down.

Offline leE7_G4M3r

• Battle Brother
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
Honestly, I would get Deffkoptas.
They are my favorite Ork unit from how much dakka and deff they fire with the T-L big shootas, and how resiliant they are with 2 wounds each. My only problem is that they don't sell the  old plastic ones. Right now you have to buy the metal ones, which not only look worse (in my opinion) but also cost 20 per kopta! Really the only option left is to buy the old ones from ebay, but most have either been built wrong, are broken, or look like they have been painted by a 2 year old.

I just wish that they would bring back the old koptas because they are absolutely awesome!
WAAAGH!

Offline new@40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »
The Stompa is a seriously awesome model, if we are talking dream model then that's my choice. I recently bought one and in the process of assembling it now. I read a post on a different forum about a guy who jokingly mentioned he wanted to add small speakers inside his. Well ... I have become obsessed with the idea and want to blast 80's music out of my Stompa. If I had room I would cram a smoke machine in there too. I don't care that's it's half my points in an 1850 game, I want to unleash my beats by Stompa on the world!!!

Offline brianstockel

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »
Thank you for the inputs! Deffkoptas and Stompas look impressive and I'm seriously curious how many wounds they'll end up with once 8th drops.

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 05:28:04 AM »
For me it is Meganobs, I play in a group where melta and plasma is very common, that combined with their price in both points and money means I have never used them. I think they are a seriously cool unit though and hope they get better in 8th when it drops.

Offline leE7_G4M3r

• Battle Brother
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 03:03:59 PM »
Meganobz iz da best! Too bad dat dey cost moar dan 12 per Nob. If dey want ta be dat pricey, tell 'em to bog off and be freebooterz!
WAAAGH!

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 08:51:29 AM »
I've decided I want to add another uit I'm looking forward to messing with to my list for next edition. Flashgitz. I don't own any and I'm getting excited to think about the amount of Dakka they might have after looking at how much fire power GW's , of course, giving the fisheads. (Everything counts in huge amounts... Dakka Dakka Dakka!)
 Could be good. I own everything else in abundance so what's a few kits over the next year or two.  Maybe I'll try out Komands.. Ok, Two units.. Out of everything I don't own two units. Broadly speaking...lol.

Offline leE7_G4M3r

• Battle Brother
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »
I've got some Kommandos, and on their own, they are okay. The problem is that they can't charge on the turn they infiltrate, which is a bummer. But, you can give them some burnas to skorch the enemy.The great thing about their infiltrate rule is that they can infiltrate with a transport, so you can use a battlewagon as a bunker, or can pop another squad in it. So you could put in the Flashgitz you mentioned. This allows the Flashgitz to just pop into the enemy's face and blast them to bits!

Another good tactic is to join them with a Big Mek or Warboss with mega armour. You can stick the Mega armoured Ork at the front of the unit, meaning he absorbs all of the enemy fire next turn, so that the Kommandos and the Warboss actually survive long enough to pull off a second turn charge. You could do the same with Meganobz in a transport, which would be the bane of Tau ;)
WAAAGH!

Offline brianstockel

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 09:12:48 AM »
Thanks for the feed back guys. New edition seems to have made kommandos a little more powerful and definitely looking at getting some mega nobz. Cheers!

Offline leE7_G4M3r

• Battle Brother
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 01:59:44 PM »
Since you are getting Meganobz, I need to tell you:
ALWAYS give them a transport of some kind, it is vital that they can move quickly to get into combat.
Try to take them in larger squads, if you can. Three meganobz aren't super intimidating, but if you have ten of them racing towards the enemy in a battlewagon, then they will be devastating (most of the time(Necrons are great at disabling battlewagons)).
If you can, give the boss meganob a bosspole because you really don't want a 300 points unit to be retreating.
They make a great combination with Ghazghkull Thrakka. On the turn he WAAAGHs, he gets a 2+ invulnerable, so the unit will be invincible to overwatch, and the unit gets to run and charge, despite being slow but purposeful.
Finally, avoid terminators. Their AP 2 power fists and your AP2 powerklaws make it so that both charge into each other and both die. However, this does not apply to Grey Knight terminators, as they have AP3 instead.

'Ave fun wiv dem greedy gitz boss! ;D
WAAAGH!

Offline darnath

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 12:46:10 AM »
Sqiudoth! 'bough said.